Where is Microsoft going wrong

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Think I will follow Rumplestiltsken's advice and go sleep under a tree for a year (actually about 14 months), then wake up and read the comments in this thread. Everyone will be singing a very different tune. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had my WP since Nov. 8th, 2010. I'm not into all the FFC's or Dual cores....I like WP because it WORKS!!! It does what I need it to do...it has the apps that I need it to have. It doesn't lockup or lag...it hasn't had a virus on it. What I'm trying to say is....phones are all about preference!! It you like ios or droid..so be it..enjoy what you have purchased. But remember folks it's only a PHONE!!! I can understand folks getting fired up over a politics, money, cars or a love one....but over PHONES???? Too funny in here sometimes!!! :)

Last edited:

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
When I say I love my WP7 I do. I ordered two phones, both HTC models, one with Android and another with WP7. On first boot-up, I quickly noticed that the WP7 stood out way above Android. WP7 looks attractive and as I mentioned in my first post, you wouldn?t want to customize it that much, but would be nice to have some options, i.e. a picture behind the live tiles, prettier standard live tiles.
r.

Pay Attention and understand my point,
I like WP7, The MetroUI is awesome, I use it every day, but i the frustration is we need better Hardware period, in order for the WP7 to enjoy success and gain market share.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
man this is getting repetitive...

the only phone on the market that is faster and might be better then the WPs right now is the freaking Samsung Galaxies S 2 . and even at that its not even much better ... i compared it to my focus and .. meh... little faster to open a web page....

All he other Wp are at PAR with Iphone 4 and the rest of the Androids. ( aside from that useless front facing camera that no one uses )
Hardware might nto be as good on paper , but because of the AMAZING smooth OS , it doesn’t make it cheaper , if anything its better lol. its like the duel core Motorola Atrix ,not smooth buggy and it crashes 80% of the time. so much for duel core..

Android 1.4GHz VS WP 1GHz ,, Wp is still smother and faster. i know this cause i work in cell phones and i have 5-10+ demo phones on my desk at all times to play with and test.

all and all the OS makes the phone not the Hardware.

Ok im done , im not posting any more on here. lol

Last edited:

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and drawing a relation between bad sales numbers and consumer disapproval of WP7 is baseless. It's more likely due to the lack of advertising and subsequently the missing brand and product recognition and awareness.

Totally agree.

Come on, peeps. The OS hasn't even been out a year. It's just too early for drama!

Let's face it: Nothing is going to make the kind of big splash that Apple makes with all its products. They just have a mystique that no one else can match, so why try to emulate them? MSFT is taking a different tack. But if you're going to put your money behind any one company in the mobile space today, you could do a lot worse than betting on this behemoth. We're not talking Palm here, what with the limited resources it had with WebOS. And I know this is anecdotal, but everyone I've shown my phone to has been dazzled by it. I even got one friend to switch from Android to a WP7 in the last month, with another two thinking hard about getting WP7 as their first smartphones.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I ask you, how many ways do you want a phone to ring. I just want to hear it and be able to answer. I'm not into impressing the people around me with "Who let the dogs out" or some such fodder.

I too have no real reason to have custom ringtones. It's not like I'm a salesperson or something like that, I just feel that I need to be more an adult than have some annoying ringtone. I haven't missed custom ringtones one bit so far with Windows Phone so far.

Now here is the other side of the coin: Microsoft was absolutely stupid to forget to incorporate custom ringtones into their new operating system! I use Copy and Paste all of the time, and I wish they would have left that off of NoDo if only they would have added custom ringtones. The reason is simple: Many don't use them, and most don't need them, but EVERYONE feels that in this day and age, being able to use what you want for a ringtone is pretty dang close to being a constitutional right. It is just one of those things.

I am very glad that the issue is getting resolved, even though there is little chance that I will using that added feature.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much I want to show off with custom ringtones, more that I've had the same ringtone for 7 years now and it's what I recognise. I've had it on feature phones and smartphones, and my Mozart is the first one I've never been able to have it on.

Glad that'll get fixed with Mango (as long as I can get the damn thing uploaded via the Mac software!)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
man this is getting repetitive...

Ok im done , im not posting any more on here. lol

aww c'mon man, dont give up now!!! lol

wp7 isnt behind par with hardware, ignore the specs my friend... use one, compare it. it is smooth, fast, reliable, and "it just works!" kinda like the iphone... the only thing it has wp7 doesnt right now is a FFC? and as stated before nobody even uses them! **** the super amoled screen makes that retina display look washed out. in addition, if a wp7 battery dies, as they all do, guess what? we can replace it! our antennas work too! im not even going to compare it to android, because there is no comparison. fragmented bloated up junk... market flooded with crap apps... "forced closes" omg, never again. between this UI an zune media player, it is the best you can buy right now. oh, and the FFC, dual core processors, 12 mp carl zeiss cameras, and waterproof shells are coming this fall...

ask the weebear for a pic of the latest windows phone coming out, there is a pic of it posted in my " what is your next wp7" thread... you would really like it...

Last edited:

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I also disagree that you can personalise a wp7 phone than an iphone.

Why? On iOS you can change the background and the ringtones, that's pretty much it. On WP7 you can change the background, the ringtones and the colour theme, that's pretty much it.

The "USB thing" was using it as a storage device like you can with Android and Blackberry.

Fair enough, not something everyone needs but it's a valid request, certainly not the be-all and end-all though.

The live tiles are going to be interesting yes but the main tiles have just slightly changed they are still flat boring colors.

That's the Metro theme, simple. I don't know about you but i see them as functional and simplistic rather than 'boring' and I don't exactly find the glassy look of iOS icons, the rounded bulbous Maemo or any of the Android variations in any way 'exciting' or 'boring'.

I spend allot of time visiting mobile shops, talking to carriers about what OS to have before I bought my WP7, not one recommended wp7, main reason, you cant customise it.

But you can't customize the iphone either, in fact if anything you can customize it even less. And why try and compete with customization? Android has this covered, that's the point of Android, if you want customization that's what you choose.

With regard to the apps, some are not just unstable, they dont work, not fit for purpose, so whats the point in putting them on.

How is this any different from any other platform? This is exactly the same with iOS, Android, Meego, etc... You can't really change that without having an arbiter that's even more totalitarian than Apple's app store vetters.

Mango is being BETA tested why are the apps not?

They are, it's the developers that should be testing them, just like every other platform in existence.

I suppose all you wp7 users have no concerns or issues with your OS.

Of course most people do, but they are specific to WP7, not things that are either common to all OSes (apps) or paradigm-breaking subjective concerns (Metro UI customization).

Dual Core are not needed? A nice SoC Dual Core chip could push mobile Xbox Live gaming completely in a new direction!

Except it probably won't, developers want to be able to port their applications across platforms so writing for above average hardware limits their exposure, not a good thing.

Plus the general public loves POWERFUL Hardware, whether it's needed or not, The General Public loves the satifaction of having a powerful device, its a selling point.

Now that is living in a fantasy world, go ask the average user of the world's most popular smartphone what kind of hardware it has. They don't know, and they don't care, because it makes no difference whatsoever, and that's how it should be. A consumer shouldn't have to worry about whether their processor is fast enough or whether they have enough RAM.

The Current WP7 hardware stinks, useless MS leaks some really nice WP7 hardware soon, the mango update is NOT enough to keep consumers loyal WP7 platform especially with the current batch of hardware.

What's wrong with it? The overwhelming majority of people do not care about the hardware, in fact they don't even know about the hardware. All they care about is the user experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolf1891

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thread. I've only had my Trophy 3 weeks but I'm quite happy with it. I think MS has done an impressive job building an 'ecosystem' in a short time. I think mobile consumers who've never heard that term understand it as being able to use their device in all kinds of everyday situations, and with lots of options and support. (the apple experience). MS has come a long way towards achieving that. I think more reps to do outreach and support with retail staff would be a great investment. They're the ones who sell the phones. Looking forward to Mango! WebOS RIP!!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I like WP7, The MetroUI is awesome, I use it every day, but i the frustration is we need better Hardware period, in order for the WP7 to enjoy success and gain market share.
The only people that care about hardware are the tech savvy consumers and most of them are set on their current platform. Either being an iPhone or price is what the general public cares about. Since we're not an iPhone we have to be a cheap and attractive option.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Think I will follow Rumplestiltsken's advice and go sleep under a tree for a year (actually about 14 months), then wake up and read the comments in this thread. Everyone will be singing a very different tune. Can't wait.

Absolutely! If MS does anything well, it's looking at the long term. They are already working on Kinect integration. They are already making the Xbox360 a central device in the living room. This is the plane on which MS is competing with Apple. Having a mobile device integrated into the home entertainment system will give Apple and MS an edge over Roku, and Google TV isn't doing too well. The PS3 is a good home entertainment system too, and just got NFL Sunday Ticket, but they have network and security problems and no mobile device integration.

I think MS is on the cusp with their Zune, Windows Live, Xbox Live, Skydrive, and Office integration. They just have to keep developing that ecosystem and they will succeed.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I'm wanting a 4.3" - 4.5" screen, and now I want a FFC too. It's a gimmick, but it'll be great to use with the xbox integration. NFC too. They seem to be behind one step.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99