Where is Microsoft going wrong

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Look when you are playing from behind, you have to come out swinging hard, you have to be the best and MS is half-azzing WP7 right now.
I get that you are a die-hard wp7 but as the saying goes:
"Men lie, Women lie, numbers don't" and so far the general public is not impressed by windows phone 7.
Whether dual-core and LTE are gimmicks or not, it's what the public wants and MS is not delivering what the public wants. And the WP7 market share numbers reflect that.

You might be right on sales but that isn't about the hardware. That's about sales reps pushing other operating systems and still refering to WP7 as Windows Mobile cause they think its the same thing which we all know here its not. That's MS's problem. Not the hardware. Look at Android for an example. They have the hardware they may get people to buy them but every single person I know and have come across complains about the OS so bad that its not even funny (well actually it is). All the hardware for android and it basically goes to waste. Still lags enless you hack it and do custom roms and even then you have to be ontop of the roms or it goes back to lagging again.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
No one I know has bought an iPhone due to some type of "class statement" most started off with iPod Touches and loved it. And moved on from there to the iPhone because they didn't want to carry two device. WP7 fan or not, iOS is a great OS.

I know of quite a few. A lot of people seem to think that any OS not made by Apple is inferior. While iOS is a good OS, it hasn't really evolved that much. Yes there have been cool features added here and there but they were all things that we've seen before. With WP7, you can really see that Microsoft has a vision, and they are bringing it all together. iOS seems to be taken the "Lost" approach, writing the series as they go along, taking hints from other OS's.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No one I know has bought an iPhone due to some type of "class statement" most started off with iPod Touches and loved it. And moved on from there to the iPhone because they didn't want to carry two device. WP7 fan or not, iOS is a great OS.

100% agree with this. As a former iPhone owner (who's very happy with his WP7 phone but still owns an iPad too), I can tell you that people buy iPhones because they're bloody good smartphones. Powerful, but simple to use. The only people who think it's all gimmick or marketing or image are usually people who've never tried using one or people who can't be objective because of fanboyism for another format. I don't like Android, but the reasons I don't like it don't stop me appreciating it's an OS with an awful lot going for it too.

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say it but I have to agree with you on all points. 4G is about maybe 20% if not less of coverage in the states. Dual-cores an Quad-cores are just a selling point but not needed. Your Start Screen is basically a customizable screen Where you put what you want on there. compared to ios where its either folders of your stuff or all your apps on different pages. The only thing and I mean ONLY thing ios has to customize is the background and ringtones. I mean seriously? Front facing camera's are coming plus when they integrate skype into the os you will be in love with the feature. Skype with a friend from your phone on his phone, xbox, or pc. I mean really how cool is that gonna be. The hardware argument is getting old. Really old. The only thing hardware wise we should have is Front-facing camera's and better camera's in general. Yes dual core cpu's would be nice but its not necessary. Now a nice gpu would be nice for games. But really the only thing that is a must in the next gen phones is ffc and 4g. Cpu upgrades are a given but I wouldn't be suprised not to see dual-core ones.

You guys live in a fantasy! WP7 is NOT doing well right now!
Well I love WP7 and use Mango on a day to day basis, I understand why the platform is failing. I am realistic that WP7 may not exist in the next 2 years.
Dual Core are not needed? A nice SoC Dual Core chip could push mobile Xbox Live gaming completely in a new direction! Plus the general public loves POWERFUL Hardware, whether it's needed or not, The General Public loves the satifaction of having a powerful device, its a selling point. It's the reason Android sells well.

4G LTE is very important to US that live in the Big Cities that have 4G access!

What you guys are failing to understand is MS was late to the market and is playing from behind, it is NOT enough for them to just match the competition with Hardware and software updates, Since they a playing from behind, MS has got to be much better than the competition with Hardware and Software especially given that MS is about to Face a massive iphone 5 launch and a massive Android Ice Sandwich launch and Google Nexus Prime launch. The Current WP7 hardware stinks, useless MS leaks some really nice WP7 hardware soon, the mango update is NOT enough to keep consumers loyal WP7 platform especially with the current batch of hardware.

I am rooting for WP7, but I am also realistic, consumers are really ready to line up to buy both the iphone 5 and Android Ice Cream Sandwich devices. Consumers are NOT ready to line up to buy anything WP7. Heck All the WP7 are selling at discounted rates cause it is hard to sell the units. VZW doesnt even advertise the HTC trophy in store anymore.
Other carriers are practically giving away the WP7 devices. MS needs better Hardware ASAP or the brand will fall off.

Read this!

How Long Can Bing and Windows Phone 7 Be Beautiful Losers? | CIO Blogs

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Well I currently use a HTC Trophy,

Well Microsoft only has two problems with Windows Phone 7, they are too slow with releasing the software upgrades and they lack decent WP7 hardware. All the current Windows Phones are stuck in 2007, no front facing camera, no 4G, and no dual-core/quad-core hardware. WP7 has nothing that makes it stand out over android or iOS accept the Mango up date and that is not even enough. Really Bad part is MS has no upcoming hardware that would make consumers get excited about WP7, they is nothing exciting hardware wise coming for WP7 except maybe the Nokia SeaRay but it will be a long time before that hit the U.S.
Mango has it own problems and like horrible bing maps program with no streetside or streetview, Google has a much better product when it comes to mapping and navigation.

My problem is that when MS released WP7, it released everything half-azzed, that since they are so late to the market with WP7 they cannot afford to released half-azzed products. Mango should have been on all WP7s from the jump, MS should have released nice hardware with frontfacing cameras, 4G LTE, and dual-core/Quad-core way before Android did.
MS should have came out swinging hard with WP7.

i have a feeling that MS will eventually become a premier mobile app developer for iOS, bringing MS Office 365, Xbox Live, Skydrive and extensive bing mapping program all to iOS.
I think MS may have mis-stepped with WP7 and the mis-step may have been fatal.

Two word response to your post: "It Works":dry

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
so if MS is not delivering what the market wants .. how come sells are growing? you say numbers don?t lie... boom.... your right....

and if the market doesn?t want a WP ... then why are they buying them?? why did you buy one? ...

seriously .. i see ALLOT of new people on this forun in the last couple weeks . most of them just got a WP and all they do is complain... if you don?t like it return it , you have 15 dayz and then cancel your wpcentral account?? . get an Iphone . and go to the Iphone central . they normally do the same thing you newbie?s do. ( and i say that to all them haters ) i dont like Pepsi ,,, so i int buying one.. lol

You ask why did i buy one, Hmmm, well didnt buy it, i got the device free to test enterprise
intergration and exchange features in an IT environment.
I like WP7 but it has flaws and MS cannot afford flaws when playing from behind and currently losing the little market share they had!
I think WP7 has potential, I just think they will have a tough time selling device with iphone 5 launch coming, and Google's ICE Cream Sandwich.....................

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

We know. In fact we seem to get weekly reminders of how bad it's doing. However, most prefer to be enthusiastic about WP7 because pessimistic attitudes don't sell nor convince people to check out WP7 phones.

What you guys are failing to understand is

What you fail to understand is that everything you're saying we've heard a thousand times now.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe people actually care this much about a phone. Feeding the trolls will only make them come back for more to eat.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You might be right on sales but that isn't about the hardware. That's about sales reps pushing other operating systems and still refering to WP7 as Windows Mobile cause they think its the same thing which we all know here its not. That's MS's problem. Not the hardware. Look at Android for an example. They have the hardware they may get people to buy them but every single person I know and have come across complains about the OS so bad that its not even funny (well actually it is). All the hardware for android and it basically goes to waste. Still lags enless you hack it and do custom roms and even then you have to be ontop of the roms or it goes back to lagging again.

I agree with this. My htc trophy is smoother than any dual-core android phone Verizon sells. On a lot of the iphone forums the iphone fans say specs aren't everything and I agree. I wouldn't mind a front-facing camera, but for the most part my phone does everything I need it to do. I'm excited about the mango update. I don't know what the future holds as far as sales for WP7, but as far as software and hardware I think they will be fine.

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe people actually care this much about a phone. Feeding the trolls will only make them come back for more to eat.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Whoa basically because I am realistic, because I am giving a realistic opinion on a product we are all using. i am a troll. Please don't be ignorant!

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
i'm so sick and tired of these kind of posts with genious ideas for big companies telling them what (not) to do. nobody cares about these rants, so unless you have something valuable to share, keep it to yourself
You're wrong. MS is listening. That's what is making these updates so great! I love Mango on my Focus!

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am from Australia and when it was around release time they where advertising wp7 on tv all the time and people would see the adds and say "wow i really want one of those" but then the advertising stopped and now almost no one knows about them anymore because everyone forgot about it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Whoa basically because I am realistic, because I am giving a realistic opinion on a product we are all using. i am a troll. Please don't be ignorant!

You've only been here a short time and all I've seen from you are negative comments. So yeah, you're pretty much trolling. We'd much rather have useful posters than arrogant ones.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
@CaliforniaMan, calling yourself >the< realist and denouncing everyone who have a slightly more optimistic view about WP7 as dreamers is trolling. You can be the objective/subjective pessimist though, and the rest the optimists. Opinions can co-exist, don't expect yours to be the norm.

I have my very own point of view. First of all, I don't think WP7 will be running for a long long time. Microsoft will pump money into it no matter what the sales are. It's a long term strategy, and for future competitiveness, an ecosystem is essential. I got respect for MSFT being so determined on the loss-driving Bing project. The management can look past the short-term losses and huge investments Bing swallows -- you don't see that very often.

Many people also don't realize, the 0815 client is no geek like we are. They don't know nor care that a phone has a 1.2Ghz dual core. There were some ipad and android tablet ads by Verizon compared. VZW tried to score with the specs, it's ridiculous watching it. People want a phone that >works<. High-end specs let the device prices sky-rocket. MSFT has the advantage of enormous software-expertise, they can optimize the **** out of their OS, use cheaper hardware and yet provide competitive performance. The devices are either cheaper or OEMs get higher profit margins than with Android phones. This leads to a win-win for MSFT.

Saying, that MSFT should have added more features at release to land a really big hit is easier said than done. Of course it would have been better. It's left to speculate why they released it as they did. Maybe they feared to fall behind too much, or they try to slowly build up momentum.

PS: Front-facing camery is the most gimmicky addition ever. Who uses video chat? There are barely any clients for it. I only see it lift off in about 2 years.

Oh, and drawing a relation between bad sales numbers and consumer disapproval of WP7 is baseless. It's more likely due to the lack of advertising and subsequently the missing brand and product recognition and awareness. That's a point where MSFT and its OEMs really need to step up the game. I'm optimistic with Nokia joining as THE WP7 OEM, promising unique phones with Android-beating prices and a huge portfolio of services to support the platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolf1891

B00thy

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
When I say I love my WP7 I do. I ordered two phones, both HTC models, one with Android and another with WP7. On first boot-up, I quickly noticed that the WP7 stood out way above Android. WP7 looks attractive and as I mentioned in my first post, you wouldn?t want to customize it that much, but would be nice to have some options, i.e. a picture behind the live tiles, prettier standard live tiles.

With regard to custom ring tones, I am aware that MS Mango will adopt this feature, why? Because MS listened to its users, from forum like this. Let?s face it if we did not have discussions like this and MS didn?t ask for feedback whether good or bad, MS would not know what people want. Apples sell ring tones on there itunes store, and obviously make money why would they do this if the public had no interest in it. We have all seen those adverts on MTV advertising ring tones like that crazy frog, these companies made millions from doing this. Okay so some people may be happy with the boring standard ones but you have to cater for every taste. The teenage market is massive, probably a massive chunk of the smart phone market is teens, I am sure a good percentage of teens want a custom ring-tome there favorite band picture on there home screen etc. There is also a massive market is customizing the way the actual phone looks with colored cases, wallets etc. I don?t understand people who say why customize a phone, the potential is massive.

You may say that sales assistants from mobile phone shops and carriers know **** but lets face it, they are the guys who sell it to the public. If these guys are not pushing it for what ever reason, it?s a problem. Whether they know anything about OS?s or not means nothing. Politicians don?t have a clue about everyday people, but they run our country and they are the discussion makers, and they get it wrong time and time again and look at the mess we are in. They are given stats and percentages, which mean nothing as they can be made to look as good or bad as they like. People who like the I Phone, Android could be converted, and if Android is in a mess as mentioned above, its time for MS to attack this massive market.

Advertising is key and if people say, I have seen an advert, you may well have but every time I turn on the TV, I see IPhone adverts, never MS. What you are saying by stating MS are waiting for MANGO, does this mean they are not comfortable with there product? When they release a new PC Platform like vista etc, there are loads and loads of security updates, software updates etc, so are you saying the don?t advertise that until all updates are finalized, they would never get around to advertising at all. Come on lets face allot of people would buy a MS phone and not even realize that updates are available, if you look at I?m a WP7 App, there are allot of users using old versions of OS; not everybody is tech minded. When you say have I seen an advert for Apple I Phone 5 NO, Why because it does not even have a confirmed launch date yet and they are still beta testing it. I am sure one month before its official release date the market will be flooded with adverts.

Not understanding how a USB storage device is Stone Age, millions of USB stick are sold worldwide, everybody I know uses them. It may an old technology now but it?s hardly a VHS video recorder is it? With regard to the USB cable you wouldn?t carry it around but then again most smart phones have limited battery life so do you carry a charger with you? The beauty of other phones over Apple is that you can buy spare batteries and keep one charged all the time. I work in an office and in my case is a USB cable, not saying I would carry one around when I go out socializing or anything but if you go to a friends house and you want a music single or some pictures he has taken, simple just plug in the USB cable and get the single you want.

I agree with 3mingo in that people see the IPhone as a statement of class and that many people do think it?s the only phone to have,. Lets be far the IPhone is good we can?t say it isn?t. Apple have achieved this by advertising, simple and MS need to take a leaf out of there book really. This is the reason big companies build apps for the IPhone. Lets not forget Apple came from behind with mobile phones now they are massive.

I am aware that games take a while to develop but the phone has been out for a while now. I bought an XBOX when they first came out and games were being released in bundles, nobody said then, you have to wait for the XBOX to develop, though I realize they have gotten better.

B00thy

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
so if MS is not delivering what the market wants .. how come sells are growing? you say numbers don?t lie... boom.... your right....

and if the market doesn?t want a WP ... then why are they buying them?? why did you buy one? ...

seriously .. i see ALLOT of new people on this forun in the last couple weeks . most of them just got a WP and all they do is complain... if you don?t like it return it , you have 15 dayz and then cancel your wpcentral account?? . get an Iphone . and go to the Iphone central . they normally do the same thing you newbie?s do. ( and i say that to all them haters ) i dont like Pepsi ,,, so i int buying one.. lol

GROWING didnt they drop to 7% of the market share from 13%

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Not in the US, that's true. In Germany the sales are quite good:
Windows Phone 7 crosses 2% market share in USA, has 7% of German market | WMPoweruser
Not that bad for an OS that lacks some features (that will come with mango).
My guess is that due to low price of unlocked devices they're selling quite well. In the pricerange of what WP7 devices are sold in Germany/Austria you'd have a hard time finding an Android device with similar specs (screenresolution, processor, smooth UI). And probably that sales people from providers don't badmouth WP7 as much as in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss