What if MS buys RIM...

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
What would they do with the two OS's to merge them together? Would it help or hurt the two companies?

I personally think it would be great. I would love a BB style phone with WP7. I don't think BB's famous form factor would be compatable with WP's required screen resolution though...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the only thing i can see from this merge is new phones from RIM , and maybe a intergration of BBM and TRUE push e-mailing.

prety sure this int gona happen , RIM is the leader in the bussines world, just my teams send out about 30 a day.

and MS also had the chance to buy RIM 6 months back , but have so much cash invested in WP and that it takes allot of work , they dont really have time to invest in other companies.

i thinkt he Nokia deal is all we gona see for the next couple years

Last edited:

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What would they do with the two OS's to merge them together? Would it help or hurt the two companies?

I personally think it would be great. I would love a BB style phone with WP7. I don't think BB's famous form factor would be compatable with WP's required screen resolution though...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

A Torch style phone could run WP7 pretty well, and it'd bring one of the best physical keyboards in the business to the platform.

My guess is that IF, and this is a big IF, MS buys RIM, they would simply have RIM perfect certain bits of WP7. Adding things like a better email client, notifications, notification light (yay!), etc. It'd wouldn't be so much a merge of the two OS's, but rather using RIM's experience and resources to improve WP7.

eragle

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I think if that were to happen (and I seriously doubt that it does), we would see Blackberry pushed back into the business world with W7 pushed toward general consumers. Just guessing though. A large part of me hopes that doesn't happen.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It'd be nice to have BBM although we'll have Live Messenger with Mango and Skype in the future. I don't think there's much RIM would offer Microsoft. Maybe patents and their hardware manufacturing side of things, but MS doesn't need their software.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It'd be nice to have BBM although we'll have Live Messenger with Mango and Skype in the future. I don't think there's much RIM would offer Microsoft. Maybe patents and their hardware manufacturing side of things, but MS doesn't need their software.

I think if Ms was to utilize RIM's hardware, that we'd be seeing a decline in the amount of new phones, just like what we're seeing with Android+Motorola. Companies don't want to compete with an officially branded device. If MS was to buy RIM, it'd be purely for software development, and the patents.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think if Ms was to utilize RIM's hardware, that we'd be seeing a decline in the amount of new phones, just like what we're seeing with Android+Motorola. Companies don't want to compete with an officially branded device. If MS was to buy RIM, it'd be purely for software development, and the patents.

ANd BBM and E-mail..lol

but seriously , NOkia is enought ,

Next thing you know Apple is buying out Samsung for the S-AMOLED+ .... LOL OH GOD i dotn even want to think about it. it make me sad jus thinking about it.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
ANd BBM and E-mail..lol

but seriously , NOkia is enought ,

Next thing you know Apple is buying out Samsung for the S-AMOLED+ .... LOL OH GOD i dotn even want to think about it. it make me sad jus thinking about it.

BBM and email are part of the software.

Apple won't buy out Samsung, they just bought Nortel.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If Microsoft were to buy BB it would only be to swallow it up to reduce competition. Microsoft would also then control all of BB's patents that would be a plus. As a former BB owner I see nothing of interest in the BB platform all the BB software and hardware is outdated. I don't know much about QNX there might be advantages there that I am not aware of.

M2C
Dave

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
QNX is like what's on the playbook, and yes they released the playbook before having BES supported, so they probably would be dumb enough to release a phone without it too.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If MS bought RIM...

you'd have two disparate phone systems with two different trajectories and goals and strategies.

• RIM requires physical connections to a computer to sync unless you are running it through a corporate server. MS puts all on the cloud.

• RIM is focused on apps driving the experience. MS is focused on people connections driving the experience.

• RIM emphasizes security over customer experience. MS emphasizes customer experience over security.

• RIM designs their own proprietary hardware. MS farms out hardware manufacturing to various vendors.

This combination makes no sense. If you like a particular form factor, e.g., the Torch, there are/can be the same form factor on WP7, e.g., Dell Venue Pro. What would there be to gain for either company?

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Where has MS not been concerned with security? The only lack of security I see is no VPN support. But IE9 is being heralded as the most secure browser on the market.
I thought all BB devices ran through a corp server backend, even if it's run by your phone company for non-business people, so they do sync.
MS is focused on making the OS simple and a great cloud experience, but that doesn't mean MS is not concerned with apps driving a better experience. MS is working hard to bring over many big time app makers. Plus, BB developers are all jumping ship, so how can BB rely on their apps in the future to drive an experience?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Where has MS not been concerned with security?
I think the only security issue people might have a problem with is lack of full device encryption. Other than that I don't see how anyone could complain about security.

I always thought the idea of BB being the most secure was a joke. Everything runs through RIM's servers and they readily hand over their data to any government that asks for it.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't make sense for Microsoft to purchase BB. Maybe just to get them off of the market but that would be a waste of money to do so. Once Microsoft provides FULL handset encryption, then and only then would the Federal Gov't jump onboard with WP7. Until then...I'm stuck with two phones..a BB and my WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett