Good or bad for WP7

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be a good thing. Once Pre users are eligible for upgrade, they could start coming in masses to WP7. Microsoft could really take advantage of the fall of webOS if they play their cards right.

Also, the Zune was never the most successful product, but Microsoft stuck by it until they developed WP7. Microsoft has too much pride to let this OS fail.

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing IMO that Microsoft and WP has to do is to sell and advertise this phone. They have got to get commercials and internet ads to sell the product. We all agree that it is a GREAT product. just not many people know about it and it's seen as a risk to leave your iphone or droid for it.

I was browsing around twitter today and found this. If Blake Griffin would support WP then that could help a ton. Celebrity endorsements would be great. WP needs to attack the social world, twitter, facebook , etc. I think all of the producers are and have twitter accounts and it helps. Check this link to see the tweets to blake and check other windows phone twitter accounts out!

Twitter (person who is talking to blake griffin about wp7)

Twitter

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. Android makes both of these companies way too much money. I don't see either dropping Android. HTC has reported back to back to back record profits. Also, I know I'm going to get hammered for this, but Nokia is not popular in the US. HTC and Samsung is.

Because of the licensing costs associated with Android (due to lawsuits), it might be beneficial for some of these hardware makers to look at another OS. HTC more-so than Samsung (since Samsung has Bada).

While Android does make them a lot of money, there's also something to be said for diversification. Otherwise, neither of these companies would have really given WP7 the time of day.

As for Nokia not being popular here... that's mainly due to their crappy OS. Mobile operators weren't willing to subsidize their devices as much because they didn't believe that they'd be competitive. So for the most part, Nokia has been selling their smartphones directly to the public. Not through carriers. And most people in the US don't buy smartphones directly.

But Nokia still sells a decent amount of feature phones in the US. And they did dominate here before because of the high quality of their hardware.

If Nokia offers a good quality product here in the US, people will buy it.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing IMO that Microsoft and WP has to do is to sell and advertise this phone. They have got to get commercials and internet ads to sell the product. We all agree that it is a GREAT product. just not many people know about it and it's seen as a risk to leave your iphone or droid for it.

I was browsing around twitter today and found this. If Blake Griffin would support WP then that could help a ton. Celebrity endorsements would be great. WP needs to attack the social world, twitter, facebook , etc. I think all of the producers are and have twitter accounts and it helps. Check this link to see the tweets to blake and check other windows phone twitter accounts out!

Twitter (person who is talking to blake griffin about wp7)

Twitter

Users promoting it helps too!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phone won't fail. Well... if "fail" is defined by no longer being in the business.

If you look at Windows 8 and XBOX, you'll see that Windows Phone is just one important part of a much larger strategy. This isn't like something Microsoft is doing on the side. This is part of the direction that the whole company is moving.

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone won't fail. Well... if "fail" is defined by no longer being in the business.

If you look at Windows 8 and XBOX, you'll see that Windows Phone is just one important part of a much larger strategy. This isn't like something Microsoft is doing on the side. This is part of the direction that the whole company is moving.

Exactly! Xbox is one of the, if not the biggest, moneymaker for microsoft. They are really doing a good job of integration. And it will continue. millions of kids play xbox and will be getting phones. Once they start advertising the phone more on xbox that will help. Look for devices that play actual games like call of duty in the future. The sky is the limit right now. Advertising, celebrity endorsements, and integration are the keys to a successful future. The WP wont die within the next year or two. Its just starting. If sales are still bad 2 years from now then yes it could possibly die. time will tell..

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope they dont waste their time trying to take on apple in the tab market. I think ultralights and better netbooks would be a good place for w8. One of the biggest gripes about tabs is the typing experience.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
btw, I think MS is doing a great job with wp7. they've got good apps, good handsets, multiple OEM's and multiple carriers in less than 2 years time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I see tablets/slates eventually replacing laptops. Maybe more devices like the Asus Transformer. Where it's a tablet when it's convenient. But can always just dock into a keyboard to be a laptop.

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
i think that Windows 8 will leed to very succesfull tablets. when people see the name windows 8 they will most likely think of their computer and relate the two closely. When someone sees wp7 they just dont seem to relate them as much. i like the fact that microsoft are going to have windows 8 on laptops, tablets and phones, i think that if people are going to get one of the three (lets just say a laptop) when they decide that they would like a tablet or a new phone they just might look at getting the same OS because it is good on what they already have.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It could be bad for WP7. It's a possibility that HTC or Samsung could buy webOS and make it their own OS.

Otherwise, it's obviously good because it means one less competitor.

I can't see it. WebOS is a great bit of software, but look at it from the point of view of a consumer and a developer: would you buy into a system with a fraction of the market that has now died twice?

Now look at that from the point of view of a hardware maker. Would you fancy re-relaunching WebOS and ploughing all the money needed to attract back devs and customers who've been burned already and have probably already switched to new hardware and invested money in a new ecosystem?

I think the remains of Palm will be sold on again to an already-established OS developer and the best bits of WebOS (and any patents) folded into that OS.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't see it. WebOS is a great bit of software, but look at it from the point of view of a consumer and a developer: would you buy into a system with a fraction of the market that has now died twice?

Now look at that from the point of view of a hardware maker. Would you fancy re-relaunching WebOS and ploughing all the money needed to attract back devs and customers who've been burned already and have probably already switched to new hardware and invested money in a new ecosystem?

I think the remains of Palm will be sold on again to an already-established OS developer and the best bits of WebOS (and any patents) folded into that OS.

It's (potentially) a **** of a lot more profitable to own the entire OS and ecosystem than it is to just create hardware for a third-party OS.

Why do you think HP is getting rid of its PC business? It's because they're making commodity hardware with razor-thin profit margin. There just isn't money in it. They're competing with a dozen other manufacturers all selling basically interchangeable products. Even though they have huge market share, the profit margins stink. The only company REALLY winning is Microsoft, who is making a fortune on Windows licenses.

The smartphone market is rapidly heading in the same direction. Smartphones are becoming a commodity, and that means shrinking margins for the manufacturers. The market is becoming saturated with dozens of nearly identical Android phones. The situation (from the manufacturer's perspective) is even worse with WP7, because there's no way to differentiate themselves with a custom UI skin like in Android.

The real money is a) selling hardware that is clearly differentiated from its competitors and b) owning the entire ecosystem, so they can continue to profit from their users. This is Apple's model, and they recently became the most valuable company in the world. It will probably be Google's model as well within the next couple years.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone market share declined from 5% to 3.8% in a recent survey.

That's not quite a complete picture. I don't believe the WP7 share decreased. They group WP7 and WinMo together and with all the old WinMo phone reaching end of life/contract there are a lot of them going away. WP7 is holding flat. It's jsut like customer satisfaction surveys show Windows Phones as just OK, but if you separate out the old WinMo then you see that customer satisfaction is quite high.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
We have Nokia they can have Samsung or HTC either way there's going to be less people making Android that's all that matters. And hopefully we can welcome some new members to are growing community!

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft welcomes us webOS refugees with open arms (and not charging us for developer accounts) then you could be gaining a very vocal community.

I am very hopeful for windows 8 tablets. One thing I realized with the Touchpad is that working around an incomplete OS (ALL tablet OS's are incomplete) running a full OS on a tablet that doesn't require a trillion apps to do basic things could be reeeeeally nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb