Good or bad for WP7

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it could be good as in people who use webos might switch to windows phone 7 now.

I think it could be bad as in those people will go to droid or iphone even more distancing the 3. I think windows phone will surpass blackberry though. As far as tablets go thats stupid to even enter in. Nobody will pass the ipad for a while. HP has celeberties and commercials endorsing it and it still didnt succeed.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
what they actually said is theyre ending support for webOS devices. This should definitely spur webOS to look at other systems, and wp7 has always been liked by a lot of palm fans. Including this one, which is why I got a trophy a few weeks ago.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, plus Microsoft is apparently already working on Windows Phone 8, so you can guarantee it will be around for AT LEAST the next two years (guesstimation). With WebOS, there was no guarantee at all. They failed to bring the phones to the market before being swamped by better phones with better specifications. I mean they were planning to launch their new Pre in September....psh as if they could compete with Mango.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think people who are willing to try a less popular OS like webOS will also be willing to try WP. So it probably won't hurt, may even help WP.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Excellent for Windows Phone.

It is crazy, because I was thinking about this earlier today, about how if HP continues to push WebOS, it could be the death of HP. And then I read this news. It looks like they had the same realization I had.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WP will never die , even it it stays at its 9% iish, or even if it drops ...

sells might not be going up much BUT allot of Positive things growing around WP witch is giving it hope for the future.

WEBOS failed on so many levels its not even Funny.

first official WEB OS FAIL!! = BELL had the EXCLUSIVE Palm Pre (here in canada when it first came out ) the problem is , it came out as a CDMA phone 2 weeks before BELL came out with HSPA .. i can tell you that NO ONE wanted a CDMA phone even if it was good. so basically we dint push it or sell it ,,, so they gave the contract for the PIXI and PRE 2 to Telus , witch ALSO faileD!! Lol

and im pretty sure we are alredy outselling WEBOS ( we = WP )

Tiny why do you say that it is excellent?

one less OS to compet with.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it'll matter much, besides what Se1fcr3ation said, one less competitor. I think Windows 8 and Windows 8 tablets will be big in pushing WP7 over the top.

Greyfish7

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it's probably good for WP7

I've been a loyal precentral member and preplus meta-doctor-er, and eagerly awaiting news if the pre3 was gonna be on verizon

and today I registered over here @wpcentral

already have an xbox, love metro (I keep finding new deviantart themes for my desktop), and am excited for the future of windows. this seems like an obvious place to jump to.

I'm still reeling, but when my verizon upgrade date hits at the end of september I reckon I'll be back lookin for the best wp7 phone on big red

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Greyfish! I am with verizon also. Only one (HTC Trophy) verizon phone right now but i am HOPING here in the next month or two they will release another or have news of another coming. The Trophy is a great phone though not dissing it at all and not bad of a price, but if something new is coming its obviously going to be wanted more.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
WP will never die ,...

That much you can count on, Microsoft is going Metro in everything, WP is one of their foundational Metro products. It will evolve, integrate with the desktop and live for a long time, no matter what the marketshare numbers turn out to be.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It could be bad for WP7. It's a possibility that HTC or Samsung could buy webOS and make it their own OS.

Otherwise, it's obviously good because it means one less competitor.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yikes, didn't even think about that! That would suck completely, and it seems that's the way OEMs are going.
It could be bad for WP7. It's a possibility that HTC or Samsung could buy webOS and make it their own OS.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One point that's maybe missed, if HP hadnt bought WebOS and gone with WP7 as planned they would be dumping WP7 right about now, and you know how that would have been protrayed in the apple loving tech press. That would have been negative press WP7 could do without.

Reactions: ikkf

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If HTC or Samsung buy webOS, I think it hurts Android MUCH MORE than it hurts Windows Phone.

Microsoft's main Windows Phone partner knows how to do HUGE volume. They also know how to do many different form factors. And if for some reason Samsung of HTC dropped WP, then Nokia could pick up the slack.

Though I don't think that HTC or Samsung would go 100% webOS. At least not in the next year or two.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Also consider that HTC and Samsung were less than thrilled to be sued by MS, and have not been happy with the restrictions put on phone development by MS. One of the hp big shots already tweeted that they would look for a great hardware partner.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they would have dumped WP7 so quickly. They would have only been responsible for the hardware, not the OS. SO less pressure on them I also think that their tablets failing is another reason why they "killed" off webOS. No way is W8 tablets going to fail.
One point that's maybe missed, if HP hadnt bought WebOS and gone with WP7 as planned they would be dumping WP7 right about now, and you know how that would have been protrayed in the apple loving tech press. That would have been negative press WP7 could do without.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. Android makes both of these companies way too much money. I don't see either dropping Android. HTC has reported back to back to back record profits. Also, I know I'm going to get hammered for this, but Nokia is not popular in the US. HTC and Samsung is.
If HTC or Samsung buy webOS, I think it hurts Android MUCH MORE than it hurts Windows Phone.

Microsoft's main Windows Phone partner knows how to do HUGE volume. They also know how to do many different form factors. And if for some reason Samsung of HTC dropped WP, then Nokia could pick up the slack.

Though I don't think that HTC or Samsung would go 100% webOS. At least not in the next year or two.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they would have dumped WP7 so quickly. They would have only been responsible for the hardware, not the OS. SO less pressure on them I also think that their tablets failing is another reason why they "killed" off webOS. No way is W8 tablets going to fail.

Android tabs have failed, bb tab failed, hp tab failed. wp7 phones have not sold well. No way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)