Let the grand WebOS migration of 2011 commence!

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I have an Arrive and am running the Mango beta. It's a great device, highly recommended.

That said, I never had a Pre. My GF and brother were both early Pre converts and they've both long since moved on to Android - my GF has an Epic and my brother has an Evo. He's planning to upgrade to a Photon sometime soon. They both love Android.

I went from a Touch Pro to an Evo to the Arrive. I'm happy with the decision.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Verizon Pre+ user for a little over a year. Generally I'd been happy with my phone, but with all the going on with first the HP buyout of Palm and then with HP dragging thier feet for soooo long (we now know why), in coming out the the Pre3 I'd been look at other phones for future use. I'm not an Apps user hardly at all. I've got a very small number on my Pre which I once in a while use. I don't really serf the web that much on it. My montly data usage is less than 1 gig a month. What I do use it a lot for though is my email, both personnel and work. So multi tasking is not a big deal to me.

I've looked at the Trophy at the local Verizon store and I liked the phone. Physically, I liked the feel of it in my hand. WP7 from looking at it on that phone for a little bit and doing a lot of reading about it and WP7 phones on this forum and other internet sites, it seems to me to be the direction I ought to go for my next phone, WP7.

One thing I've really liked about my Pre is the syncing to my email accounts, and I've had to do in 4 times as the hardware reliability of the pre has been a different story! I've never had any problem syncing and setting up my Charter email, my gmail account and my MS Exchange account at work. The Exchange account has worked flawless, I get all my Outlook email, my contacts, my calender and Tasks. Everything updates as I get updates on my work computer and even as I make updates on my phone it's done on the computer.

Which leads me to ask you WP7 users, how does WP7 work with syncing to gmail, POP3 and Echange accounts? Any issues? Will I get my OUtlook items, mail, contacts, calender and task from work ok on the phone. I've read from different places some varying accounts of good and not good experiences with handling Outlook accounts on WP7.

Also, what attacts me to wanting to look at WP7 is the Mobile Office on it. Again for work use, I think I would find this a big benefit to me for work purposes. That being said, I'm kind of thinking I'd be better looking for a 4.0 or 4.3 inch screen phone. But, I don't want to switch from Verizon. Do any of you WP7 out there with your crystal balls see more WP7 phones for Verizon in the future and hopefully bigger than the Trophy? My local Verizon guy did not have a clue for me. Any help to my questions would be appreciated. Ending my first post here on wpcentral!

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, what attacts me to wanting to look at WP7 is the Mobile Office on it. Again for work use, I think I would find this a big benefit to me for work purposes. That being said, I'm kind of thinking I'd be better looking for a 4.0 or 4.3 inch screen phone. But, I don't want to switch from Verizon. Do any of you WP7 out there with your crystal balls see more WP7 phones for Verizon in the future and hopefully bigger than the Trophy? My local Verizon guy did not have a clue for me. Any help to my questions would be appreciated. Ending my first post here on wpcentral!

One of the rumors going around recently is that Nokia is developing 3 WP7 phones for the USA. One of them is supposedly a high-end phone headed for Verizon. :)

At any rate, the next wave of Windows phones should be here in the next month or two. There are several we know about already, but it's not really clear which carriers they are destined for.

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
RocDel,

Yes there will be future devices released with Verizon and other companies when Mango is released or slightly after. The names, and specs I am un sure of. The HTC Trophy is a great phone but if you can be a little patient then you wont be dissapointed...

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that Dell will remain in this business. I looked at the venue but decided to get the Trophy; glad I did.

Yup, I have a feeling Dell will be getting out of the smartphone business altogether. Their leaked roadmap from early this year IIRC showed an update of the Venue Pro for early summer, and the "Wrigley" for September. Yet they were conspicuously absent from Microsoft's most recent press event.

They also just cancelled the Streak.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
soon to be an ex-webOS user (sniff sniff), and I was wondering should I wait for mango?

I was ready to jump from sprint for a pre3, but not am likely to stay. what do ppl think of the arrive and will it be able to run mango? will it even get it?

wow: love my retro avatar and sig.

I switched to WP7 from webOS 2 1/2 weeks ago. It's fast. Especially from a Pre-

Unlike webOS 2.x, Mango will make the Arrive, an "older" device, much much better.

blackbriar511

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As many of you will have heard, HP effectively rang the death knell for the WebOS platform today by announcing a discontinuation of the hardware.

Personally I resolved to switch in July, after witnessing the sub-par Touchpad 'launch' which was a good litmus indicator for the future it seems. It was not until a few days ago i cancelled my pre 3 pre-order though, when it began shipping out in the UK so feel relieved I am not stuck with a DOA brick like my pre-,+, and 2 before it.

It is likely that many will abandon the sinking ship now, if they had not done so already, no doubt most will flock to Android and iOS but quite a few at Precentral also mention WP7. I am certainly hoping that more will join this forum and up the activity level a bit, as it seems quite bereft of posts here especially compared to the frenetic levels seen at P|C.

I'm just waiting for the new wave to come out before making a purchase, can't come soon enough as having to use half busted WM 6.5 handset at the moment that drops calls.

Hello, I made the migration last month to a Samsung Focus, I've been loving WP7 ever since. Like you I felt things were going wrong when they kept pushing back the launch of the Pre 3. I also hope that we get a huge number of converts, I too have noticed how bland and passionless the forums are over here, hopefully these former Precentral members can show some folks over here how its supposed to be done!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I myself find the Arrive to be an horrible monstrosity BUT, arrive users love this thing to death. So I know it's something special.

dvigilante1

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
i need a 4" keyboardless phone on sprint. they're always left behind on phones. att has 4 wp7 phones? why? the arrive been out since march yet still no price drop.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Let the liquidation begin -- HP's 16GB TouchPad on sale for $99 -- Engadget

w00000t! I just got back from Walmart with my new Touchpad in hand. I placed my order at 5 this morning for the only three tablets the store had. While I hate to see WebOS going down like this I'd be silly to pass up such a great deal. Less than a week ago these things were going for 500 bucks and has hardware on par with the latest tablets on the market. This should be a suitable replacement for my laptop (which is a POS) for the next year. Plus I can't wait to see what the homebrew community does with it. If you're looking for one then checkout walmart.com and see if you can order one online and pick it up at the store.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
One of the rumors going around recently is that Nokia is developing 3 WP7 phones for the USA. One of them is supposedly a high-end phone headed for Verizon. :)

At any rate, the next wave of Windows phones should be here in the next month or two. There are several we know about already, but it's not really clear which carriers they are destined for.

Is there a good source here on wpcentral or another site discussing some of these up coming new phones?

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using a Palm Pre Plus running webOS 2.1, but I plan to buy a WP7 device once Mango and the accompanying hardware hits the shelves. I've always liked WP7 and knew this is where I'd end up if things didn't improve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs