Let the grand WebOS migration of 2011 commence!

Useraid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there a good source here on wpcentral or another site discussing some of these up coming new phones?

I'd like to see something more concrete as well. Plus it seems from what specs have leaked so far that many new phones have almost identical specs to the ones from last year? Which seems silly.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I was skeptical about how we would see a lot of loyal webOS users moving to WP. But so far it looks like a lot of them are deciding to try WP! To all the new WP users: thanks for giving WP a try! If you have complaints you should be vocal. MS does seem to listen.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a good source here on wpcentral or another site discussing some of these up coming new phones?

Nokia is Going All-In with Windows Phone in North America

^ Here's the blurb mentioning the 3 upcoming Nokia devices for the USA.

Definitely check out the "Upcoming & Rumored Devices" section of this forum to get an idea of what's coming up. Just off the top of my head:

Samsung SGH-937 (WP7 version of the Galaxy S 2!!)
Samsung Omnia W (3.7 inch screen)
HTC Omega (updated version of the Trophy, with 1.5 GHz processor and front facing camera)
HTC Eternity (1.5 GHz CPU and insane 4.7 inch screen)

I know Acer and LG have upcoming devices as well.

Last edited:

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see something more concrete as well. Plus it seems from what specs have leaked so far that many new phones have almost identical specs to the ones from last year? Which seems silly.

The minimum specs were recently bumped up by Microsoft. All new devices require at least the second-gen Snapdragon processor (same one being used in the Droid Charge, HTC Thunderbolt, and Xperia Play). The CPU is the same but the GPU is upgraded to the Adreno 205, which is supposedly 3x as fast as the Adreno 200 in the 1st-gen Snapdragon.

So anyway, some of these new devices will come with 1GHz Snapdragon processors, but they are still significantly more powerful than the first wave of WP7 devices thanks to the massively improved GPU.

SirataXero

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a Quantum temporarily a few weeks ago and I loved it. WP7 is great. I'm also an ex-webOS fan looking for a new place to call home. WP7 looks like the best bet. I was pretty disappointed with NoDo until I fired up Mango. It's a WORLD of a difference and its AMAZING. I was continuously embarrassing my friend with his Infuse 4G (one of the best Android phones out on AT&T) with my Quantum running Mango.

It looks awesome! I also was a developer for webOS and will definitely develop for Mango when I get more immersed into it (or pick up a Dell Venue Pro, eventually).

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
There's a ton of former webOS users climbing on board WP7 and WP Central. Who's creative enough to come up with a cool webOS to WP7 insignia?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to buy a HD7 a week before HP made this announcement. Looking forward to getting more familiar with WP7... Also got all my WP7 dev tools set up. :D

I was planning on getting a Pre 3, but not that's not happening. lol

danh35#WP

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got home with my HTC Arrive coming from a 2 year old Pre minus. I've only had it a few hours and the OS takes some getting used to, but I'm loving it so far.

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I am amazed at how many Precentral users are here. I too have been on PreCentral ever since I got my Pre- back in late 2009. The community has been great. Half of the time I wouldn't even comment on things, just check-in to read posts or news.

About a week ago, I took the plunge and bought a HTC Arrive from someone on Craigslist for $100. It is in mint condition. The hardware is solid.

I had initially abandoned webOS last year around October after hearing that HP wasn't going to produce any devices... I bought the dang Evo. I LOVED the Google Navigation. LOVED IT! But to be honest, I am just not an Android person. Too open, and you DO have to worry about what you are downloading and from who.

Well, I got rid of the Evo (both my wife's and mine) to someone on Craigslist after hearing that HP webOS was coming out with devices...and it was wait, wait, wait. I was a huge fan of the OS, always trying to sell people on it and showing off my Pre-. And for what? And then the rumor of it not coming to Sprint was like a slap in the face...

I was in the ambulance with some down time approx a month ago and one of my partners had a Samsung Focus. He was trying to show it to me, and I gotta say, I was still trying to push webOS. I just wasn't a fan of those Big, Clunky tiles... But he apparently sold me on the idea between only scrolling down to see your favorite apps instead of all over the place (Android).

I then ended up on here one night from the link at the top at PreCentral. Read about Mango. Had to know about it. Disappointed that Sprint only had the Arrive. But I read reviews on it. I had to at least try it.

As others, I am still missing my webOS notifications, and the swiping off screen. But, I have to say one of the things that drew me to WP7 is the layout. I like scrolling to the side to see multiple pages when this would normally be done by pressing a menu key or going back to the main page of the application. I like the live tiles. The keyboard on the Arrive is awesome too. There are a lot of things that eat at me though too, but I am sure that most of these issues will be taken care of with Mango.

So, until then, I'm waiting. Good luck with whatever you choose.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Precentral refugees...REPRESENT!!!

Wife and I are 2 year Pre- users, went out to Sprint yesterday and got 2 arrives. I added links to my browsers for wpcentral, add RSS feeds to my readers and am trying to play catchup.

So far, I like a lot of what the OS has to offer and especially love the minimal lag. I sadly HATE notifications on this system. No flashing LED and no unified location to look for notifications is driving me batty. I haven't looked to see if Mango fixes that, but man I sure hope it does.

Anyone know of a way to get pandora working? I was shocked it wasn't available.

Looking forward to getting to know some of the wpcentral peeps and hanging with the former precentral refugees.

sinister4g63

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Another webOS transplant here, I was always fascinated by WP7 but was too invested in webOS. Now with the current uncertainty of the future of that platform now seems as good of a time as any to give it a shot. Currently looking for a used Trophy for VZW. Don't want pay full price for it as there are new devices coming in the near future. Nodo kept me on the fence, but with the improvements that mango brings I am completely sold! Too bad I won't switch to AT&T because the used market is littered with WP7 devices.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Even though I have just a couple months of using WP7, I'm really happy to see so many quality PreCentral members coming to our board and community. Your liveliness and support for the better platform, the underdog is worthy of my admiration.

Welcome, yet again! :)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So far, I like a lot of what the OS has to offer and especially love the minimal lag. I sadly HATE notifications on this system. No flashing LED and no unified location to look for notifications is driving me batty. I haven't looked to see if Mango fixes that, but man I sure hope it does.
Sadly, Mango doesn't add anything to the notification system. This kinda bummed me out since it's probably my biggest complaint about the OS. But there's too much I love about it to switch over that. I've learned to keep the tiles for all of my apps that give notifications in the same place so I can take a quick glance at all of them when I need to.
Anyone know of a way to get pandora working? I was shocked it wasn't available.
Currently, the OS doesn't support background audio for third party apps. I'm hoping that's why Pandora isn't available yet. Mango is adding background audio so keep your fingers crossed about Pandora :)

In the mean time, there's always Slacker and Last.fm.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, Mango doesn't add anything to the notification system. This kinda bummed me out since it's probably my biggest complaint about the OS. But there's too much I love about it to switch over that. I've learned to keep the tiles for all of my apps that give notifications in the same place so I can take a quick glance at all of them when I need to.

Currently, the OS doesn't support background audio for third party apps. I'm hoping that's why Pandora isn't available yet. Mango is adding background audio so keep your fingers crossed about Pandora :)

In the mean time, there's always Slacker and Last.fm.
Thanks for the info. I have to admit that the notification thing saddens me. Notifications were arguably one of the things webos did best. I take it there is nothing the homebrew arena either?

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Precentral as well and current webOS user (Pre+ on AT&T). With HP's announcement I'm done. I was all set to get the Pre 3 on AT&T bc I'm eligible for an upgrade in Oct. I was and still am disappointed with the webOS news.

However, I stayed up to date on all of the current smartphone offerings. The way I feel is that WP7 and IOS are the only systems that offer the elegance and ease of webOS. After playing around with an HD7S in the AT&T store on Saturday I know where I want to be.

What I hope to see from the new WP7 phone releases this fall is front facing cameras and a bump in the processor specs. Also notifications that aren't intrusive and a pleasing text messaging interface, which sadly was lacking on WP7 and on Android. It sucks to the core that HP has abandoned webOS but I feel like Microsoft will be a good home. One where I don't have to worry about the craziness of Android.

Last edited:

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Precentral as well and current webOS user (Pre+ on AT&T). With HP's announcement I'm done. I was all set to get the Pre 3 on AT&T bc I'm eligible for an upgrade in Oct. I was and still am disappointed with the webOS news.

However, I stayed up to date on all of the current smartphone offerings. The way I feel is that WP7 and IOS are the only systems that offer the elegance and ease of webOS. After playing around with an HD7S in the AT&T store on Saturday I know where I want to be.

What I hope to see from the new WP7 phone releases this fall is front facing cameras and a bump in the processor specs. Also notifications that aren't intrusive and a pleasing text messaging interface, which sadly was lacking on WP7 and on Android. It sucks to the core that HP has abandoned webOS but I feel like Microsoft will be a good home. One where I don't have to worry about the craziness of Android.

Welcome to WP7, hope you like your stay.

I would also suggest you try the Focus, my favorite Windows Phone by far, 4" SAMOLED screen, 1500 mAh battery, and expandable memory.

If you don't need a phone right now though, I would wait for the Mango devices, or just install Mango on the device you buy (it's a fairly simple process).

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wife and I are 2 year Pre- users, went out to Sprint yesterday and got 2 arrives. I added links to my browsers for wpcentral, add RSS feeds to my readers and am trying to play catchup.

FYI WPCentral has its own app. It's much better than reading the site in the browser IMO. Also check out the Board Express Pro app for accessing the message boards :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb