webOS user. Need steering.

estebancam

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

As the title says, I am a webos user. Since the next time I see a webos phone is a while away, if at all, I want to look at other platforms to satisfy my technological hunger for the meantime. I am currently deciding between Android and Windows Phone. IOS I already used for a few months and it really is just an app launcher- the whole thing. Too simple, not enough fun to use, and some of the designs are not thought out.

Anyway, I have only used windows phone once, and I thought it was well planned, well laid out, and smooth. I hear, however, that it is lacking in features.

All I need is for people here to tell me things that make the OS unique and that would make it better than other systems out there. I used android for a while too, and I liked it a lot- very powerful platform. But like I said, I was intrigued by the design if WP7.

If I decide on WP7, which is very likely (I am leaning toward it), I will probably wait until Verizon has a competent windows phone, as I think htc is crap. They use Qualcomm processors, which have the worst power management, the worst graphics capabilities, and run hotter. Htc also does not use gorilla glass, which is sad. Htc also uses horrible camera software and hardware. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I won't be buying an htc trophy. I am looking for more a Samsung Focus device.

So if anyone can point out great things about the OS it would be very helpful! And just anything that you would like to point out about windows phones in general to help me make a decision.

thanks in advance!

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
WPCentral Review: Windows Phone "Mango" (preview release) | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews Check out WPCentral's Mango preview to get a good idea of what's coming in the Mango update next month. There are tons of new features coming.

Anyway, what I love about WP7 right now:
- it's really fast and smooth. The UI always runs silky smooth, and it responds instantly to touch input. It's far better than Android in this regard, and maybe even better than iOS.

- Xbox live integration. You can earn achievements on your Live account, and it will use Live for online matchmaking (turn-based only for now)

- Zune/Zune Pass compatibility. Zune is much more pleasant to use than iTunes, IMO. Zune Pass is a $15/month subscription service that gives you unlimited downloads and streaming from the Zune catalog, plus it includes 10 song purchase credits/month. Songs you purchase for yourself are 320 Kbps MP3 format.

- an excellent UI. It's fast, uncluttered, and gives you a lot of information at a glance. "Live tiles" are a brilliant idea. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" sort of thing. I think it's a breath of fresh air after Android's mess of gaudy widgets & icons everywhere.

- It just hit the 30,000 app mark. It reached that mark faster than Android or iOS did. Overall I think the quality of the apps is better than Android's. When I used Android, I pretty much had to stick to the most popular apps due to the unbelievable amount of crap in the app catalog.

There's lots more, I'm sure other people will chime in. As for upcoming Verizon phones, supposedly Nokia has a high-end WP7 device coming on Verizon. We will hopefully learn more at Nokia World Oct. 26-27 if not sooner.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think you're being somewhat harsh on HTC. I've never had an issue with running hot with my Mozart, and power use is on par with other WP7 handsets. Graphics really isn't an issue as all the phones have a base spec level so it's more OS-dependent. The camera is also fine.

I will agree about the gorilla glass though - the Mozart front glass could be tougher.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well i have a Samsung FOCUS , and i love it!!!! never looking back ( only forward for the next GEN Samsung :p )

- WP7 is a GREAT stable OS compare to Android, and just as smooth as the IOS but more efficient i find.

- the Xbox live is sweet specially if you have a 360 , i can msg my friends and what not , and the future holds allot for the Integrations.

- lacks a little custom UI but the Live tiles AWSOMENESS makes up for it, and its so much smother then Android.

- you wont need to deal with the saturated Marketplace/OS and App Malware that Droid have.

- HTC is not as bad as you think . the HD7S is pretty nice n better then the arrive any ways. + they get updates before every one else ,, a whole day ... LMAO!

- SAmsung = S-AMOLED = AMAZING!! just try not to have to many WHITE or light Color backgrounds cause it tends to kill your screen faster ( only on AMOLED phones )

- you get a AVATAR!! hehe WooT!

- as for the 30,000 apps with 15,000 Spam duplicated Apps ( for different cities ) its kinda dumb but the better apps are still good and once MANGO comes out in a phew weeks ( i hope ) think we gona see the APPS SKY ROCKET to the top , allot fo DEV`s waiting on MANGO.

- 3 screen ( well 4 screen ) of MS is gona be the BEST eco system , and is ay best cause no one else as many screens: PC+WP+Tablet+Xbox360 = PWN FACE! lol ;) no one else ahs 4 ;)

i think that’s pretty much it for now. so much can be said about this , depending only our needs.

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral. I too came from WebOS, but about a week before the BIG announcement. It was hard for me to get used to the OS at first, because of what I "expected" it to do, because of where I came from. But this OS is so capable, fun, CLEAN, and easy to use, not to mention professional looking.

Any of your questions can be answered usually by looking around these forums and web searches...anything else is usually answered by forum members. Good luck.

estebancam

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
sweet guys. Thanks for yourself. I have been looking through the forums here, and although the community is no webOS, it seems like the operating system is well worth it.

I have been browsing the web for videos and they all keep saying one thing: mango is awesome. However, I also notice that phones do not yet have mango. When will this be released? I know it is possible to put mango on current devices without Microsoft releasing it, but how hard is that?

also, any news of a phone that is actually good and high end coming to Verizon soon for WP7???

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
sweet guys. Thanks for yourself. I have been looking through the forums here, and although the community is no webOS, it seems like the operating system is well worth it.

I have been browsing the web for videos and they all keep saying one thing: mango is awesome. However, I also notice that phones do not yet have mango. When will this be released? I know it is possible to put mango on current devices without Microsoft releasing it, but how hard is that?

also, any news of a phone that is actually good and high end coming to Verizon soon for WP7???

The final build of Mango has been released. It's now up to the OEMs and carriers to get it out to us. Hopefully in the very near future.

You can install Mango yourself. The only downside is that you will have to restore it to NoDo before you can install the official update, when it is released. Meaning you will lose whatever new apps and data you put on your phone since you backed it up. I hear it's easy to do, but I haven't done it myself yet.

As far as Verizon, Nokia supposedly is working on a high-end phone for them. I'm hoping we'll learn more at Nokia World October 26-27. There are a bunch of new Windows phones that will be announced over the next few months, and we don't know what carriers they're headed to yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos