Former webOS User, Now Windows Phone Lover. My Thoughts (Maybe More to Come)

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
First of all, I have to say that I am a die hard webOS fan. I have been sharing what I think on some of these other threads, but wanted to get all (or most) of my thoughts out in one place. The truth is, is that you could probably chop this thread up and scatter it throughout multiple threads.

I have only been using "smartphones" since the latter part of 2008 when I started medic school. I started with a used Motorola Q9c for Sprint. Overall, I thought that it was an awesome phone, but one of my biggest issues was the calendar. I needed to see my appointments, and they had to be easy to edit... Hacking took place. :)

Eventually, the Palm Pre came out. I hated it. I mean, to me, it looked liek a sissy phone. Small buttons, plastic hardware, etc. It doesn't help that I had my heart set on this new phone called the HTC Hero. OH! It was going to be bad @ss! I knew everything there was to know before that darn thing came out. Unfortunately, when it came out and time to play with it, I was severely disappointed...

Well, I decided to play with the Pre. Watched reviews on it. Looked at speed test with the browser and so forth. Needless to say, I was sold. This phone became everything that I could ever want in a OS. The multitasking was unmatched! The calendar, and the email, and the messaging which was fully unified, each to it's own respective place, was amazing. Overall, the ease of use, whether it was adding, editing, or the use of gestures just made sense.

Oh, was I upset when I heard that HP bought Palm, and then to make it worse, the news that no more devices were going to be made! My phone was falling apart. What to do? I caved and bought a HTC Evo 4G. I loved the Navigation. Loved it. Everything else though, especially the notifications and the poor calendar widget. I could go on and on.

The roller coaster continues. I get word that HP is making another Pre. All new devices! Finally! I have been trying to sell EVERYONE on webOS. Telling them about the new devices and the capabilities. Showing them my old Pre and saying that the new devices were going to be unmathced. And this had be in the midst of iPhone lovers, and Android freaks that just looked at me stupid. I had already sold my Evo ( and my wife's :() and decide to wait for the Pre3. And wait. And wait. And then to hear that it was most likely not even coming to Sprint.??? What? Sorry, but I can't just jump ship. I have an awesome plan. I am a power data user, and the customer service has been good to me.

As I mentioned in another post somewhere on here, I had been on the ambulance with a partner and he had a Samsung Focus. He was telling me how much he loved it. This is coming from a guy that isn't as hardcore into devices as me, so what could he possibly know? He showed me, and tried to sell me, but I just kept coming back with "well, I can open multiple cards and apps" (well, something like that)

I went into Best Buy and played with their Focus. I searched content on here. I was in love. I thought. But Sprint only had this Arrive. Geesh! I read all I could about what Mango was, and about what it was going to bring and what it was going to fix... I was sold. Hey, I've waited for my perfect device this long.

I searched on Craigslist everyday, a couple times a day for a used HTC Arrive just so I could "try" it out and test WP7 for its self. I finally found one for $100. Mint but phone only. I loved the heft of the device. It felt quality. The keyboard layout was great. The scrolling was quick and responsive. But, how would it match up to my beloved Pre and webOS?

Ugghh! I thought! As beautiful as this OS was, it was nowhere near my webOS. I was having a hard time with the notifications. I didn't like the browser, or even hitting a back button. I kept telling my wife ( who had originally told me not to get the device) that I hate and love this device... Then it just went to hate. Haha. But only for a few hours. Ok, maybe a day.

I hadn't had the time to really sit with the device. You may wonder why you need time with a device for it to be easy to use? Well, because for me, I got so used to an OS that was based soley on gestures. I was used to hitting an extra on screen menu key to bring up other options, or views. I was used to swiping cards off to close apps so that they wouldn't use power. I was used to using Google for everything under the sun and having to hit those extra keys to bring up specific searches (example: local, shopping). I was also used to opening up a complete list of my applications, find the one I want, and launch it... Oh, and THE EMAIL! MY GOODNESS! What a pain. I mean webOS had the unified inbox right? I have a personal Gmail, a family Gmail, a Yahoo, and now I needed to have a LIVE ID?

I had read a thread on here about Zune pass before and questions regarding a family account. So, I created a family Live ID for Zune, and I also have a personal Live ID for my stuff... Two Gmails, and two Live ID's. Wow! I won't lie, this was a huge pain in the buttocks (But, this is a fix on Mango!) For now, because I am waiting on the Official update, I had to find a work around. I am using POP3 forwarding to my personal Live acct... Like I said, the family Live is only for Zune, so that stays on the app menu.

Thankfully, the calendar is one of the best I've used. I hate when people come and tell me that, "Oh, what do you mean, I got a great calendar, it's called... I paid...". Stop! You shouldn't have to pay for a calendar. This is a basic feature of a smartphone. And WP7 does it well. Very well. Not one complaint there. The best part about it too, is that on my lock screen, my next or current appt shows up. Easy peasy editing as well.

At first, I wasn't a big fan of the tiles. Clunky looking... That has changed. I love the constant updating. I love the notifications. Having only what you need on the home screen. I like how easy it is to scroll down and side to side. I like the FONT! Yes, the font!

No, there aren't as many options or menus. That is because most of what you need or will view is only a side swipe or scroll away.

I never like Bing search before this. Now, I love it. I love that my partner and I were both using our voice search to find Dunkin Donuts yesterday and mine not only brought up the proper search and results, but that it did it with a location based search with a simple scroll to the side. With his Android, you have to go to the top of the screen and hit "local" or "shopping". Puhleez. Annnnd, it shows a partial map for me with my location (moving with GPS) and the closet places to me, with a complete list of locations right underneath. With Android, you get the map or the list and have to hit one of them to bring up further options.

Along with the above, when I found the location I wanted, I called it. Yeah, you can do that with Android and iOS, but when I called- it came up as "Dunkin Donuts" and saved that way in my recent call log. No guessing on which was the right number on those days when calling multiple placed to find a specific service with the best price...

Another thing with my partner and my phones yesterday- He went to soft reset his device, an Evo. I didn't even think of showing him how fast the boot up time was until he was a good 20 to 30 seconds into it. I quickly powered mine off. And turned it back on. No lie, my Arrive still booted up 10 seconds faster. Yup! :)

The speaker on my Arrive is awesome. Loud.

The camera on my Arrive is pretty nice too. I would like to see some improvement... But hey, for now, it is easily on par with my old Evo and better than my Pre, and close to an iPhone. Close.

Camera. Yeah, there is a dedicated button for that. Tell me that isn't needed with a camera phone.

I don't know really what else to say. I've wanted to give my 2 cents worth for a couple of weeks and am glad I waited. There are some things that I probably left out, but this is the gist of it.

I am very happy with WP7. I want to stay (Sprint, you better step it up). I think that this OS by far rivals any other out there. Android is far too amateur and animated (childish). As someone else has said, iPhone is an app launcher. It does it well, but I want something with personality, and I have to say, the layout and design of the apps is amazing. Next to none.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
good read :) i agree for most of it, except the calendar could do with supporting multiple google calendars! i have had to do a work around until it supports it.
I was a massive android fan! But it is just so slow and cluttered, feeling bodged together! Having two emails apps?? Whats up with that on android haha
WP7 is just so smooth and clean, its brilliant!
I know some C++/C# and Visual Studio 2010 far exceeds android's eclipse for development!!!!
im in love haha

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I had read a thread on here about Zune pass before and questions regarding a family account

Does this mean you are able to use a single Zune pass for multiple devices? If so, how did you go about it? I am considering getting it, but $30 a month for my wife and I is silly expensive.

Loved the post. Fun to read your progression, although its such a very familiar tale to us reforming webOS handset enthusiasts (so far, we touchpad enthusiasts are still enthusiastic).

I know some C++/C# and Visual Studio 2010 far exceeds android's eclipse for development!!!!

I haven't looked in to development yet...does this mean you can use c# to code for wp7?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean you are able to use a single Zune pass for multiple devices? If so, how did you go about it? I am considering getting it, but $30 a month for my wife and I is silly expensive.

Loved the post. Fun to read your progression, although its such a very familiar tale to us reforming webOS handset enthusiasts (so far, we touchpad enthusiasts are still enthusiastic).

I haven't looked in to development yet...does this mean you can use c# to code for wp7?
Yep, apps are made using Silverlight and C#. I believe you can use VB as well but there's better support for C#. And yes, the free dev tools are quite nice.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting read.

Coming from a Pre, I know what you mean. My mantra for anyone moving from webOS is don't try to duplicate your experience! Just take what WP7 gives you & see if you like it....which you will. ;)

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

So far, I am the only one with a WP7 device and Zune capable device. At this point, I cannot tell you if this will fully work.

My thought behind it was: Most of the people that had tried a Zune pass and share it with multiple devices had initially set up Zune with their own personal Live ID which, when put (Zune) on another device, would show those personal emails and acct info on the 2nd or third device as well... I created the Zune acct with a strictly family-only acct. I don't expect to download tons of music, but want the capability to stream unlimited music to either of the devices should my wife get one. When I initially set up my WP7 HTC Arrive, it asked me to use the Live ID that was tied to Zune. I don't even look at mail from that acct. I don't use it for my calendar either. Hopefully this helps and hopefully this works. Lol. If anyone finds out otherwise, please let me know, especially as I would not want to lead anyone astray.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You don't really need to understand the Silverlight XAML code as the designer will do most of that for you, and yes the C# is used for coding.
Also if your a student you get Visual Studio 2010 Professional for free and a free developer account to unlock your phone and side load apps to it :D :D

Tee

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Glad you made the journey to wp7, and amazing how many OSes you used to get there lol. But I'll tell you something, once you use mango, you will be blown away. There's a safe method getting the mango RTM on your device right now, so I see no reason to wait months until sprint and HTC release an official update. But then again, some people don't like messing around. So while mango is sweet, nodo will do for now if you decide to stay.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Glad you made the journey to wp7, and amazing how many OSes you used to get there lol. But I'll tell you something, once you use mango, you will be blown away. There's a safe method getting the mango RTM on your device right now, so I see no reason to wait months until sprint and HTC release an official update. But then again, some people don't like messing around. So while mango is sweet, nodo will do for now if you decide to stay.

Top of this thread has a link to the instructions. A kind gentleman made it as easy as possible, and that was pretty darned easy.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-general-discussion/180046.htm

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Good read. I'm a recent WP7 user as well (previous android, Blackberry). Don't care too much about apps, So far WP7 has what I need integrated with the OS running smoothly. rebooting takes seconds (GOD!! I love that), linking my contacts with FB is awesome, getting all the info that I need without opening an app, just taking a glance at the tile (priceless). WP7 = Elegance.

MedicX

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm back. lOL. As DrSaiko said which I forgot to mention, is that is one of the main things that I appreciate about WP7...the fact that they have integration with applications that just make life easier. You don't have to go through the trouble of opening up an app and wasting time. Plus Microsoft does it so elegantly. Me, I like apps, but I don't feel that the need ones are missing. I would like to see some real deal EMS apps come out like epocrates and informed publishing's ACLS field guide.

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
m0ngr31 is right. Each Zune pass lets you connect to 3 devices and 3 computers. I have 2 WP7 phones and my zuneHD all using the zune pass. ;)

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
m0ngr31 is right. Each Zune pass lets you connect to 3 devices and 3 computers. I have 2 WP7 phones and my zuneHD all using the zune pass. ;)

How is it done from a configration standpoint?

I added my live account to my wife's Arrive last night...but DOH...forgot to check if the zune pass started working on her phone. I know it took a while for my phone to realize it had zune pass.

This is great news though that it will work once I learn how to make it work. Access to just about any song for the price of an album a month...quite the deal right there.

I just hope (rrrreeeeeaaallllyyy hope) that MS implements some usability features in the zune player. Drives me batty I can't build a playlist on the fly (other than create a one time playlist and never be able to add something to it).

I am hoping the desktop client at least has some better playlist support.

Are there any 3rd party zune pass clients (seems highly unlikely).

Many thanks!

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I also came from webOS (Palm Pre Plus-Verizon). It was an absolute must that the next phone I purchased had Hotmail/Live Calendar support. My wife had a Pre as well and it made it so nice to be able to have the same calendar on both our phones as well as our laptop (Live desktop client package). She is currently using an old BlackBerry until we can find a WP7 for her, but the calendar support on it is horrendous. It doesn't support Hotmail/Live and the Google Sync app kept duplicating events for a temporary gmail calendar I set her up with. It made the phone unusable, lol, within a few weeks she went from maybe 40 events on her calendar to over 10,000. I still think the webOS has one of the best calendars with the most support. WP7 is close though, they just need to support subscribed calendars and secondary calendars on an account, not just the main calendar. I find it odd though that webOS could support multiple calendars from hotmail/live but WP7 can't???

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Mango will address all of the calendar issues. Honestly I think at this point, anyone savvy enough to post to a forum about their Windows Phone should be able to load Mango onto it. It's like "rooting" an Android device. It's essentially a must-do thing now.

-R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers