Whats wrong with the Notifications in WP7

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
my htc hd7 has a green flashing led notification light when i miss a call, text , or email.... hahahahahaha sorry you samsung users dont!!! hahahahaha especially you selfcreation LMAO

Email and text are you sure? My HTC Arrive flashes for missed calls and Voice Mail but not Text and Email.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
ahhh maybe it is just missed calls and voice mails, i will have to check... i guess i never really paid attention, just know there is a green flashing led for a notification

and samsung doesnt have one at all

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I like what Nokia did with Meego.

If they added a 3rd plane on the home screen they could dock all of your notifications there.

So the middle is your tiles. Swipe to the right and it's your apps. Swipe to the left and it's your notifications displayed like Android would where you could attend to them, or clear them, but you wouldn't have the top of your phone cluttered with stupid annoying icons.

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see webOS style notifications and a place were I can see a list of the notification so that I can swipe away the ones I don't want to view at the moment.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see webOS style notifications and a place were I can see a list of the notification so that I can swipe away the ones I don't want to view at the moment.

WebOS notification system is a little flawed, Android-like or MeeGo-like systems would be better (WebOS constantly takes screen space to display its notifications), if Microsoft came up with something a little different that would be great.

On the other hand, why don't they simply put all notification on the Me tile?

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish they'd use the black area on the right of the start menu for notifications... 3rd party developers should be able to pin their toasts there with a little icon of some sort. That black/white area is such a waste of my screen space right now.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I wish they'd use the black area on the right of the start menu for notifications... 3rd party developers should be able to pin their toasts there with a little icon of some sort. That black/white area is such a waste of my screen space right now.

There's a reason for that space (if tiles filled the entire screen it would look ugly), with icons it would look too cluttered.

You know what could be cool? If by long pressing the home icon the app you're currently in (or the home screen) flipped, to show a unified notification center. To let you know you got unread notifications, it could show an icon in the otherwise empty status bar.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Notifications....

I had the blinking light on my PocketPC and my WindowsMobile devices and it really did nothing for me. With WP7 all I have to do is push the standby button and the lockscreen shows me icons for phone calls, texts, and any of my email accounts that have outstanding items---I immediately know, without unlocking, what I have waiting for me.

Now, I do think, along the lines of what some have mentioned, having a consolidated notification list would be helpful. I think the update to the ME tile goes part way there---the flipside of the tile tells you how many notifications you had BUT they only cover new (not necessarily all previously unread) notifications from the INTEGRATED features (WindowsLive, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.). This seems like the ideal spot to expand consolidation of notices.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
All fine and good. What about third part apps that don't have access to the home screen. And the point is, not having to even pick up the phone to know you have something that needs your attention.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
All fine and good. What about third part apps that don't have access to the home screen. And the point is, not having to even pick up the phone to know you have something that needs your attention.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Correct. I don't want to have to turn the phone to know that I have text waiting or missed a phone call. Allowing the Windows icon on the phone to blink rapidly for a missed call, slowly for a text or email would be great. If I do have to turn the phone one, I would like to be able to see a small sliver of that text msg and whom it's from.

Sogeman

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The notifications are terrible.
I mean they're good when you're holding your phone and see them but if they come when the phone just lies there and they're not a call of a message, I'll never notice it's even there.

They really need a notification center that collects all notifications (or at least the last 10-20) and let's you look at them and launch the respective apps directly out of it.

And an LED as mandatory feature if they don't include the center. I'd prefer the software solution though.

My stoneold Nokia just had the screen dimmed and it flashed for a few seconds from time to time to signal I missed something. Even that was enough. Right now I constantly miss stuff because I'm not checking the phone everytime I look at it.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Question: If you are in an application and you get a text, would you be able to reply within that app or would you have to exit and go to your text messages?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Question: If you are in an application and you get a text, would you be able to reply within that app or would you have to exit and go to your text messages?

Currently you have to close said app then open your text message to reply then have to reopen the app you were in. In Mango you'll be able to leave the app but have it running in the background then pick up wherever you left off once you finish your reply.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Why does it not repeat alerts for missed calls/texts/emails? Seems like a very basic feature that every other phone has had. Smartphone or not. I rarely use a ringtone, so I get this short little vibrate that I have yet to feel if I'm anywhere but home. I would like a good 3-5 sec vibrate for alerts. I pretty much have to check my phone every 15 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720