Pocketnow: "Akihabara News reports that there was little interest"

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Nokia is huge in Asia. (not sure about Japan specifically) But maybe when they throw in their handsets into the market it will help establish some legitimacy for Windows Phone.

But as for MS having something big up their sleeve... I think that big thing is called Windows 8.

*cought* appolo* cought* ;) hehe

and i think ( i shoud say `` i hope`` )the ASIAN market is gona help ALOTT!!

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sold on Nokia being a game changer in the US. Why? Because only tech nerds are talking about Nokia and how it MAY be a game changer. When is the last time most non-techie Americans have seen a Nokia phone in their local AT&T, Sprint, Verizon or T Mob store? When is the last time most non-techie American's interested in smartphones associated Nokia with smartphones? Nokia is so far removed from the buying thought process of non-techie Americans. Nokia has to re-establish itself on American soil before non-tech nerds go crazy over the "sexy" Nokia hardware.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sold on Nokia being a game changer in the US. Why? Because only tech nerds are talking about Nokia and how it MAY be a game changer. When is the last time most non-techie Americans have seen a Nokia phone in their local AT&T, Sprint, Verizon or T Mob store? When is the last time most non-techie American's interested in smartphones associated Nokia with smartphones? Nokia is so far removed from the buying thought process of non-techie Americans. Nokia has to re-establish itself on American soil before non-tech nerds go crazy over the "sexy" Nokia hardware.
I don't think most non tech nerds go crazy over any specific brand of hardware. Except for maybe Apple. Most people just don't care too much about the brand unless they've had a bad experience in the past.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In the US, Nokia may be a game changer only in the sense that they will bring hardware that is extremely high in build quality. Even if smartphone name recognition is small now, it's always a plus to have high quality devices available.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The reason Nokia has flopped so badly in the USA is because they sold almost all their phones unlocked. You can't go into a Verizon or Sprint store and pick one up. The only store I've even seen them in is Fry's, and it was a really pathetic unmanned display, separate from their other smartphones, with non-working models. In the USA, very few people buy their smartphones unlocked.

Nokia has already said that they are taking a very US-centric approach to their WP7 handsets. They will be selling them subsidized through carriers. I'm baffled that they waited so long to start doing it this way. The most recent rumor is that they're working on mid-range devices on T-Mobile and AT&T, and a high-end device for Verizon.

Also, MS and Nokia supposedly have money set aside for a huge advertising blitz. Nokia's hardware is some of the best, sexiest hardware out there. In fact, IMO they're the only ones who can do it as good as Apple. If they advertise well, I believe they will sell like crazy.

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I think that if nokia and microsoft do put heeps of adds out then the sales will increase alot but if they dont then there will be some hard times ahead. I know this will be especially true here in aus, we dont see nokia phones anymore but when we did everyone wanted one because of the great hardware. I think they might sell here just because they are nokia and not because they are a wp

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
i agree, I haven't seen a Nokia phone in ages. I haven't heard anyone mention a Nokia phone with enthusiasm in ages. The N9 is loved, but it's DOA. I could care less about Nokia. I wished MS would have partnered with HTC instead.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're in the US, I could understand why you may not be familiar with Nokia build quality. But trust me, you'll see soon enough. And you'll see why they were an awesome choice for the premier partner relationship.

There's a reason that Nokia was the biggest and most popular handset maker in the world. And sure, on the smartphone side they pretty much fell off because of their lack of a decent OS, but they're still LOVED in many places. And that's with the sucky OS. Just because their phones are just that nice.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i think in 1 or 2 years WP will also start getting phones out all over the year...

cause right now we got 12 phones in one shot.... cause all the OEMS wanted to get it out there , as the Months and years go by the OEMS will start releasing phones at different dates. Witch will cause us to have a new phone or 2 every month , ( witch is as fast if not faster then Android )

we have 12 Phones under a year , I dunno how you can think we don’t have enough.

they just wanted to get all of them out one shot.

+ WP is a 5 year old KID compare to Iphone and Android , so saying that Android has more momentum then WP … well Obviously! LoL

Android came out with what… 2 phones when they released the first Gen?? lol

Honestly we all just need to be Patient with this. its brand new OS .. and MS is doing better the first year then most other OS ever did. ( and they had less competition when they came out )

they doing JUST FINE!!

Dude, who are you talking to? I never said we didn't have enough, , we just need to have releases throughout the year.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i agree, I haven't seen a Nokia phone in ages. I haven't heard anyone mention a Nokia phone with enthusiasm in ages. The N9 is loved, but it's DOA. I could care less about Nokia. I wished MS would have partnered with HTC instead.

I don't think people really truly care about any of the OEM's that much. Their very much just commodities. But Nokia is the one OEM who could really differentiate by make a DAMN GOOD PHONE.

Hey look, I'm Samsung, HTC, LG, and whoever else. We dont' want to compete with Apple by making a damn hot, sexy, stunning, beautiful looking phone. We'd rather slap together some plastic and put a crappy Android skin on it.

I'm truly excited for Nokia to come out and step up the industrial build of these phones. I think that Apple's success stems directly from the success of Johnny Ive and company, and people will appreciate Nokia's designs hopefully.

Some of my friends have told me the N9 looks plasticky, and honestly I have absolutely no idea where they came up with that.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple has ads all the time. Also, those product placement ads aren't free to Apple, in fact I saw a report and Apple spends a ton on product placement.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Would it be safe to say that Nokia is then vying to be the leading OEM of WP7? In other words, could we assume that Nokia's thinking along the lines of, "hey when people think WP7, they think Nokia!" and hence put in the effort of mass advertising and courting carriers? Nokia's success might affect the other OEMs to lose their share of the WP7 market, thus either pushing them out of the WP7-fold or further in by being more competitive against Nokia (assuming the Android patent issue really does take a serious toll in the next couple years).

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I reckon MS will do a big advertising campaign with Nokia because they don't reply on Android and will mostly concentrate on WP7, as they will probably drop Symbian.
Nokia and MS needs to sell phones and therefore they will probably push together.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Would it be safe to say that Nokia is then vying to be the leading OEM of WP7? In other words, could we assume that Nokia's thinking along the lines of, "hey when people think WP7, they think Nokia!" and hence put in the effort of mass advertising and courting carriers? Nokia's success might affect the other OEMs to lose their share of the WP7 market, thus either pushing them out of the WP7-fold or further in by being more competitive against Nokia (assuming the Android patent issue really does take a serious toll in the next couple years).

Definitely. Nokia is the only one with a vested interest in seeing WP7 gain marketshare from Android. HTC and Samsung are perfectly happy selling Android phones, whereas Nokia is betting their future on WP7. (LG, Sony, and Motorola are all losing money from their smartphone divisions.)

Let's be honest, most of the OEMs are treating WP7 like an afterthought. They don't need WP7, it's just a way for them to sell a few extra handsets on the side, while Android is where the bulk of their sales are. It will be a breath of fresh air to have Nokia pushing WP7 on all its flagship phones.

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely. Nokia is the only one with a vested interest in seeing WP7 gain marketshare from Android. HTC and Samsung are perfectly happy selling Android phones, whereas Nokia is betting their future on WP7. (LG, Sony, and Motorola are all losing money from their smartphone divisions.)

Let's be honest, most of the OEMs are treating WP7 like an afterthought. They don't need WP7, it's just a way for them to sell a few extra handsets on the side, while Android is where the bulk of their sales are. It will be a breath of fresh air to have Nokia pushing WP7 on all its flagship phones.

people are starting to get fed up with android. Some of the techie crowd but really big in the average user group. I see it a lot working where i work and doing what i do. vzw is losing a lot of android users to other platforms so im assuming it is the same with other carriers as well. I think ms/nokia is coming in at a good time to capitalize on the consumer frustration with android and you need to think of contract timelines too. Nov 2009 was when the first droids were being sold, and the bulk of android contracts were started mid 2010 with the second wave of android handset launches like the incredible. So you'll be starting to catch those people now as they come up for renewal.

The typical customer will hang on to their phone (no matter how bad they feel it is) to get the reduced pricing on another handset so will be waiting until their contract is up to even start shopping for a new one.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. All the Galaxy S/Evo/Droid/Droid X owners will be coming up on their 2-year upgrades in the next year. It's a great opportunity for WP7.

WP7 ahead of Android and right behind iOS in customer satisfaction survey | ZDNet WP7 has a better customer satisfaction rating than Android. It will only grow once Mango is released. I think we could see a lot of people leave Android for WP in the next year, if MS/Nokia advertise it well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think Windows Phone could secure at least a 15% market share by the end of next year.

Android is going to be bleeding for a bit. But they'll eventually stabilize because Google is starting to make an effort to try to fix some of the fragmentation issues. But it really won't be noticed for another year or two.

I believe most of the Android losses in the US will be because of the iPhone being available on Verizon and Sprint. Mainly from areas where 4G isn't available yet. And WP7 will get a small percentage.

But where we'll see the biggest WP growth will be in Asia. Especially with the cheaper handsets. Nokia is going to go gangbusters selling nice looking lower-end devices. But these will be solid quality low-end devices. They may even be able to make a dent in non-Asian market with them. Though in the US, it would help if carriers offered some cheaper data plans so that parents could see buying these for their teenagers.

And I hope that Nokia has at least two or three high end devices available. And ideally they'd be very distinct in appearance. Where once someone sees it, they know it's a Nokia Windows Phone. Even without seeing the screen.

I also hope that they are allowed by carriers in the US to have all their phones be penta-band. They even have low-end devices that are penta-band right now.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's my opinion that Nokia has not been big in the US because they are big into unlocked GSM phones. In the U.S. we are pretty much split with CDMA and GSM phones. I think CDMA phones hold the lead, plus they want you locked into a contract in the U.S..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa