Freaking Windows Phone 7...

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I also had a Pre+ that was overclocked to 1ghz and it still suffered lag when scrolling on the phone. It almost seemed like it was supposed to hesitate a second before scrolling because once it started it was smooth. It's funny once I switched to my Trophy, I was just playing around and wiping the Pre so I could sell it, man did it feel old, slow, and sluggish. This was only a few weeks after I picked up the Trophy too! webOS still holds a special place with me, but its pretty dated.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I've heard two things about this. One is that it's probably not true. Two is that if it did run twice as fast on the iPad it's because the drivers (wifi, bluetooth, camera, sensors, audio, etc) weren't loaded. Much like booting Windows in Safe Mode. That's the only way you're going to get twice the performance with half the RAM. The problem isn't the hardware it's the software.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
RUINED my Touchpad! I didn't realize how frustratingly LAGGY the scrolling is in webOS until using WP7. I was poking around on my TP last night and was completely irritated by the jerkiness. I couldn't even stand reading RSS feeds on it, I went back to my phone's tiny screen.

Dual Core 1.5 ghz processors (Overclocked mine) and it can't compete with the fluidity of my Arrive. Sigh.

Here is to hoping they hardware accelerate the thing someday soon.

Haha, I know exactly how you feel man... I really do love how smooth the scrolling is in WP7.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Pixi Plus when I got it last fall, and it seemed to run fairly well until it got updated to 1.4.6. After that, it would take over 2 minutes to load Google maps, 15 seconds to load the dialer, and over 5 minutes to power on, which I had to do a lot due to frequent crashes.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
@lkkf

That doesn't sound normal at all... Have you tried to Doctor your Pixi?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Yeah, I looked into that but in the end I decided I just didn't have the willpower to figure it all out. Then I got my Samsung Focus and have never looked back :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
BTW, if you guys haven't already done this you really need too. It dramatically improves performance.

How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad | ZDNet

The first thing a new TouchPad owner should do is open the Phone and Video Calls app in the Apps tab on the launcher screen. Once in the app select the DialPad tab and enter the following in the dialer like you would on a phone:

1.##LOGS# (##5647#)
2.Hit the green Dial button.
3.On the subsequent Collect Logs screen, select Change Logging Levels
4.Hit the Set Logging To Minimal and confirm

Your TouchPad just got a lot more responsive as HP took the tech support approach to log virtually everything behind the scenes to make debugging things easier should things go wrong. There is so much event logging in the background that it seriously impacts the TouchPad’s performance, as it is constantly doing things it doesn’t need to do. The setting you just changed reduces the amount of logging that is going on.

sm07

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sticky scrolling is definitely because the Touchpad isn't optimised for the GPU. It took until version 2.0 to get hardware acceleration on webOS smartphones, and it made a massive difference. The scrolling on my old Pre- (before it died) was so smooth it put iOS to shame.

nrguser

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
HAHAHA duel cores LOSSES to single core... IN YOUR FACE HARDWARE COMPLAINERS!! lol

;)

Troll?

WebOS does not fully utilize both cores. The scrolling problem is because (as stated by an earlier user) WebOS does not use GUI acceleration at this current time.

There are a few patches in preware that help with the scrolling issue. While they do not fully fix them, they help.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Troll?

WebOS does not fully utilize both cores. The scrolling problem is because (as stated by an earlier user) WebOS does not use GUI acceleration at this current time.

There are a few patches in preware that help with the scrolling issue. While they do not fully fix them, they help.

troll?? ok Mr you have 4 post......if any one is a troll ...

. i dont troll WPcentral.. i live here!! lol

i laught at the Duel core cause there is countless post here saying that people want Duel-core for WP7 ... so i made fun of it ..

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Sticky scrolling is definitely because the Touchpad isn't optimised for the GPU. It took until version 2.0 to get hardware acceleration on webOS smartphones, and it made a massive difference. The scrolling on my old Pre- (before it died) was so smooth it put iOS to shame.

Your post has really had me thinking all weekend. If webos 2.0 really fixes scrolling and improves speed maybe I need to really consider a FrankenPre 2. I was really missing my Pre this weekend...

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Your post has really had me thinking all weekend. If webos 2.0 really fixes scrolling and improves speed maybe I need to really consider a FrankenPre 2. I was really missing my Pre this weekend...

O_O What could you possibly miss that won't be resolved with Mango? Are you running Mango?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
O_O What could you possibly miss that won't be resolved with Mango? Are you running Mango?

Yep, running Mango.

It's hard to explain. Don't get me wrong, I am still slurping on the WP7 koolaid. My wife is head over heals with WP7. For the first time ever, she is the one finding all the apps and trying things out. It's cute actually :love:

But I am having a hard time without the cards and little shortcuts throughout the OS. Most of it sounds nitpicky and silly, believe me, I know. But once you get used to it, it takes some getting used to when you lose it.

Example 1: Physical Keyboard support in WP7 is terrible compared to webOS. I've mentioned this before, but its starting to really wear on me.
1) My phone is in my pocket. I get a text, remove phone from my pocket.

a) webOS: Open the keyboard. Tap the notification. Type my reply. Hit Enter. Close keyboard. Lock phone. Back in pocket
b) WP7: Open keyboard. Unlock the phone. view is sideways. Tap messaging app. Tap new message. Tap the text field. Type my response. Tap the send button. Close keyboard. Lock phone. Back in Pocket.

2) I need to search for the nearest Quiznos.
a) webOS: Open keyboard. Type Quiznos. Tap Google Maps
WP7: Open keyboard. Unlock phone. Tap search button. Type quiznos. Hit enter.

Example 2: Shortcuts
1) If I want to see the batter strength in percentage, change screen brightness, turn on/off/configure bluetooth or wifi, see the current date, turn on the LED as a flashlight and some other things I do the following.
a) webOS: Swipe downwards from the upper right hand corner of the phone
b) WP7: Scroll down for settings. Scroll to setting. Change Setting. go back, repeat for each setting.

Example 3: Filtering a list for something
a) webOS: Typically if you are in an app with a list that can be filtered. You just start typing. Worst case, you tap the header of the list.
b) WP7: Doesn't seem to be possible very often. instead you have to search and the search button a sneaky little beast since Mango. I miss the big search button being context sensitive.

Landscape Support. Just plane SUCKS in WP7. So freaking inconsistent. In webOS pretty much everything supported landscape. It's made significantly more irritating since its a landscape keyboard on the Arrive.

Ok, so, what's the bottom line though really?
The positives to WP7 well outweight its negatives compared to the current iteration of webOS. It's fast, pretty and still well done. I am quickly realizing though that the Arrive just isn't for me. I am hoping above hope that a new 4.3" keyboardless phone comes to Sprint. Beacuase all the keyboard on this phone does is remind me of my love lost.

The burning question. Would I stay with WP7 if the Pre 3 miraculously showed up on Sprint tomorrow?
I will not engage in idle speculation ;)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
2) I need to search for the nearest Quiznos.
a) webOS: Open keyboard. Type Quiznos. Tap Google Maps
WP7: Open keyboard. Unlock phone. Tap search button. Type quiznos. Hit enter.

MAN!! i had a HTC Duel ( slide keybord liek the pree ) and i could NOT STAND IT .. every time my keybored slid up in my pocket or w/e it unlocked my phone... and start taking pics and calling people.

you actually like this?? also if u dont like hiting the search button just slide your finguer to the right. ;)

Searching for SUBWAY on wp7 with same Number of Steps as WEBOS+ HANDSFREE!! ;)

take phone out of pocket,

1.unlock phone ,
2.hold Windows button
3.say: FIND SUBWAY , GO ( that way you dont need to hit GO

and you can sue this to fidn APPS , GAmes , Locations , its a JUST TYPE option .. i say F1 it opens my F1 APP , i says FINd SUBWAY , it give me 5 locations ..

its the same thing as WEBOS but it got Microfied.

dont even need to open map it tells it for you, and this is with NODO i cant wait to see it with mango updates,

Last edited:
Reactions: ikkf

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Just curious. I have the exact same complaints coincidentally. However everybody has different annoyance thresholds and they have bugged me less over time. Would love to see MS fix these issues so don't get me wrong that they need afixin.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. I have the exact same complaints coincidentally. However everybody has different annoyance thresholds and they have bugged me less over time. Would love to see MS fix these issues so don't get me wrong that they need afixin.

I do imagine it will wain over time. 2 years of fine tuning my usage on the Pre to do everything with absolute minumum steps takes a while to reprogram.

I really think the keyboard is my big issue. I'd definitely trade a bigger screen for no keyboard on this OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos