PocketNow Editorial: Windows Phone 7 is Winning

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Editorial: Windows Phone 7 is Winning

Market share numbers are important, but so is momentum. Momentum is the feeling of forward-progress; it's what creates excitement, draws anticipation, and makes people become true fanatics towards a given product. Momentum is the critical "X factor" that any new product needs to succeed. Windows Phone 7 has this momentum.

[...]

Where is this momentum coming from? Let's dissect the situation.

The Product

Windows Phone 7 is good. The experience is unlike anything else you can get from an Android, iPhone, or BlackBerry. It's super-smooth, super-pretty, and it brings forth new interface paradigms that just make sense. With Mango we get fast-app switching, a new browser, plus a host of new goodies. While the Mango features don't leapfrog beyond the competition, they serve to make a great platform better

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Premature. Microsoft and Nokia (and other OEMs) need to execute before we can start trumpeting these kinds of statements.

WebOS was all kinds of pretty and had some significant momentum in its early stages. I know Microsoft is in a different boat with boatloads of cash to throw at this and a good and improving ecosystem, but we have to see the sales and the marketshare increases before pronouncing the platform as 'winning.'

Are the potential ingredients there? Yes. It just needs to come together and I hope it does

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Let me add that I'm slightly bothered by not only of the early bragging, but of the overused Net lingo that's in the title.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Let me add that I'm slightly bothered by not only of the early bragging, but of the overused Net lingo that's in the title.

Hahaha. Imagine how I feel. The other internet handle I use is "Winning Guy." I've been using it for over 10 yrs. And then this year people would start thinking I was just jumping on the "winning" bandwagon. lol. So here I am on this site... using my other handle instead.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think he was dead on. From a thousand feet up, which is where this article positions itself, he is absolutely ON POINT. And I agree.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
zzz... iOS and Android "teen platforms"? These platforms work, so stop trying to kid yourself.

The SeaRay is just mediocre hardware, talking about "incredible" or even "standard hardware" is just uninformed.

The amount of money Microsoft has to throw at projects doesn't state anything about it being successful or "winning".

"Winning" implies superiority over competition, which is not visible -- maybe "gaining momentum", but not "winning". Still no numbers to back this up.

It's only cool if Charlie Sheen uses that word.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What is mediocre about the hardware on the SeaRay as it relates to running Angry Birds? Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Word with Friends / Alpha Jax, Telenav, Office, Pandora, Iheart radio, 4th and Mayor, EasyTube, FoodSpotting, Fuse, Huffington Post, Kik Messenger, Netflix or whatever else available on the market?

What?

What is your answer jesdt? Do you have one? See you guys talk this mediocre nonsense as if you're sitting at a desktop when you are not.

There is a good deal more to consider when you are playing the long game as Microsoft is playing right now.

At this point in its existence, it has MORE applications to date than both IOS and the ad agency in the same amount of time.

That is Winning.

WP7 has most of the mobile standards in place.

That is winning.

In time, it will be a dominate player in the mobile market. You can't see it because your metrics are outdated and severely flawed.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The SeaRay is just mediocre hardware, talking about "incredible" or even "standard hardware" is just uninformed.

we have NO actual facts about the Sea Ray at this point but, somehow you are able to claim that it is mediocre hardware? I've got a silly idea, why not wait till there is an actual announcement from Nokia showing an actual production model with actual specs before you start slamming the darned thing?

Reactions: ikkf

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
To all the ones questioning the "winning," I think it's just a pun on the meme and the "win" in "Windows." Someone had/has an avatar on the site with Charlie Sheen, part of the Windows Phone logo, and "ning", which visually illustrates the play on the meme.

Reactions: ikkf

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Sort of a related article about Win 8 and the possibility that WP apps will run on it:

Windows 8 will be able to run Windows Phone apps, says Nvidia

The fact that Microsoft hasn?t yet announced this capability, if it is indeed true, is puzzling, as it would no doubt be a boon to Windows Phone 7 app development, which is already trudging forward at a healthy pace despite languid sales of WP7 devices at retail. The Windows Phone Marketplace surpassed 30,000 apps about a week ago.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've heard rumors that Windows 8 might actually not be called Windows 8. Not sure if there's validity to it, but it would be interesting.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
we have NO actual facts about the Sea Ray at this point but, somehow you are able to claim that it is mediocre hardware? I've got a silly idea, why not wait till there is an actual announcement from Nokia showing an actual production model with actual specs before you start slamming the darned thing?

So I checked again for some kind of source but couldn't find one. I still remember though, that I've read that the SeaRay does not have the highest end hardware possible and there might be better Nokia WP7 phones. With your statement though, my point still stands: when there are no facts about it, the editorial author shouldn't praise it as god-sent hardware and "industry standard" either. Do you want to send him your silly idea too, or shall I?

really looking forward to win8 "apollo" and some fresh tablets runing it, that would complete my eco-system...
You are mixing it up. Apollo is the WP8 OS for phones. Win8 for tablets and desktops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)