Mango/Bing Maps Turn by Turn?

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I've been researching WP7 and I've read that Bing Maps is bringing turn by turn navigation in Mango.

Is this confirmed?

Has anybody tried it in Mango? Do the final builds for I.E. the Verizon Trophy include it?

Thanks!

Todd

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Bing turn by turn doesn't work in mango properly without hitting the screen to progress at each turn Todd.

Not exactly convenient, and downright dangerous if you're driving.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
NO, Mango does not have turn by turn directions. It's a very crappy attempt at TBT. I've tried to use it and drove straight by my turn. I wouldn't depend on Bing Maps.

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
That's terrible!

Looks like Navigon might be the great hope. Just read the WPCentral article on GPS but it seemed a bit old and neither program looked very impressive. :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Didn't know this was a known issue? But that's exactly what happened to me. LOL. I only drove a mile or so before I saw that I was passed my turn. luckily.
Bing turn by turn doesn't work in mango properly without hitting the screen to progress at each turn Todd.

Not exactly convenient, and downright dangerous if you're driving.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there's some weird licensing issues that keeps Microsoft from offering turn-by-turn. I haven't heard anything about whether the inclusion of Nokia's Ovi maps will change that. If I do have to use Bing Maps I just rely on the GPS to track my position and follow the blue line.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there's some weird licensing issues that keeps Microsoft from offering turn-by-turn. I haven't heard anything about whether the inclusion of Nokia's Ovi maps will change that. If I do have to use Bing Maps I just rely on the GPS to track my position and follow the blue line.
Apparently Navteq, the company that provides Bing map data, does not allow MS to provide proper turn by turn. Which is kinda messed up considering Navteq is owned by Nokia. Hopefully they can get that mess straightened out for the next update after Mango.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems like an incomplete solution.

Navigation is fine with it but as everyone said, you have to touch the screen at each point to your destination. I've never missed my turns, even driving in Las Vegas traffic, but its not natural. Good to have Sprint for Telenav but I expect Microsoft will work out the licencing with Nokia so we can have the full on TBT.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Turn by Turn and Garmin apps are great alternatives both have search features. I seldom use Bing maps usually only if I intend to Message the results so someone. Otherwise I just use my Garman app for search and GPS turn by turn directions its a tad expensive. Turn By Turn is cheaper and has a lot of the same features its a good alternative.

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually used it yesterday and i found it great, it makes a sound before spoken directions which prepares you nicely, gps in phone finds position instantly and as you scroll through the directions the phone will show each section of the route.

Only thing I find its missing that I want is draggable routes as i cannot find how to change route yet. btw this is on samsung focus running 7.5

cherrywithns

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, this issue is worked out prior to the official release. I know they were testing on CNET and that was one of the complaints, turn by turn, needs to work properly, that's for sure.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Apparently Navteq, the company that provides Bing map data, does not allow MS to provide proper turn by turn. Which is kinda messed up considering Navteq is owned by Nokia. Hopefully they can get that mess straightened out for the next update after Mango.

Has this been confirmed? I find it irritating that no journalist has directly questioned MS about this so we can have an official answer. Especially some confirmation that it's coming now that Nokia and MS have been joined at the hip.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
they wont bring nokia drive but they'll bring nokia maps to other phones besides nokia phones but you'll have to pay for nokia maps whenever they put it in the marketplace for some dumb reason and bing tbt is nice as ****... when you have a friend or someone to help lol

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It's annoying to have to tap the screen - i believe it was a necessary workaround to avoid a patent suit - but not dangerous (well no more dangerous than adjusting the climate control, setting the radio, changing the CD, etc...).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion