Mango coming in a week or two

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
SiddFinch:

For months, we and dozens of our partner companies have been laying the groundwork for the Windows Phone 7.5 update—and making solid progress. As a result, we now expect to start rolling it out in the next week or two. At that time, we’ll also refresh the Where’s My Phone Update? table to reflect the worldwide rollout status.

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys know if I will miss anything when the official update rolls out, since I flashed one of the leaked HD7 ROMs ? My phone was unbranded when I bought it and when it installed the NoDo update Zune made a backup. Can I use that backup to restore the phone to the initial state, so that the official Mango update will install ?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Your NoDo backup should restore your phone fine.

The statement in the windows phone blog does seem to indicate that there will be firmware updates coming along too which i do want because I know my Omnia has newer firmware than i currently have.

Going by what it says it won't update unless NoDo is found. That's what I read into it anyway.

So it does seem beneficial to have NoDo if you want the firmware updated too as well as Mango.

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Too bad I haven't checked the firmware before I flashed the ROM. Maybe I also got an update of firmware along with Mango.
I think the backup Zune made was before it applied the NoDo update. (I got the phone about a month ago, and it found the update the minute I connected it to the computer).
Do I need NoDo in order to apply "Mango"?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure wizake it just looks to me by the website that it checks for NoDo before allowing any update.

This is what it says...

'During the official Windows Phone 7.5 update process, every Windows Phone will also receive software from the handset manufacturer. This matched and paired firmware has been painstakingly tuned so your phone—and apps—work with all the new features of Windows Phone 7.5. Since your phone requires the proper firmware to function as designed, my advice is simple: steer clear of bootleg updates and homebrew tools'

Make of that what you will wizake.

It may still update Mango only if you have the same firmware, not sure.

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks. I'll see what happens when the update starts rolling out
Not sure how will I know since, probably, Zune wont notify me.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing I do wonder: why did Vodafone say they were starting rollout this week, then get directly contradicted by Microsoft, then go quiet? I wouldn't call the launch a trainwreck, but that - on top of the leaked info that the 15th was the original go date - does suggest things really haven't gone to plan.

I get the impression almost everyone is ready, but *someone* isn't and keeps stalling, and that someone is what's holding everything and everyone else back. And the timeframe one or two weeks to the start of rollout with the emphasis on start is - if you think about it - very vague; barely more informative than "it hasn't happened already". It could be any time from a week to, well, whenever, as they can claim that rollout has "started" but that it's still in a non-release phase. So I'm not sure why everyone is excited now and thinks it's coming, as MS actually haven't given us any more information than we already knew other than it won't be this week.

Regardless, I hope whoever is dragging their heels - and I don't think it's Microsoft themselves, but they obviously have enough clout to get Microsoft to hold back - gets their act together.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You're right that it is very vague, but this is much clearer than the first official announcement that said Fall 2011. If it's not here in two weeks, we have something to complain about, more than a rumour.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You're right that it is very vague, but this is much clearer than the first official announcement that said Fall 2011. If it's not here in two weeks, we have something to complain about, more than a rumour.

Well, not really. The Windows blog said "one to two weeks" and then the emphasis was very much made to say that that would only be to the start of the rollout. So they could say even after three weeks that rollout has started internally but no carriers are releasing yet. What they've essentially done is just defused any more rumour issues by making it official that there's no set date and it's still just "Fall". Maybe sooner rather than later, but I think we all expected that anyway and didn't see this stretching into the end of November.

In the meantime, as I have an unlocked and unbranded euro Mozart I'm seriously considering using the leaked HTC final mango rom. Other than having to do a bit of tinkering I don't see what I have to lose, as it's only what I'll be getting eventually anyway.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
According to O2, it's actually going to be released within the next couple of weeks. . .

"Anyone for Mango? The latest version of Windows Phone 7 is coming in the next couple of weeks - watch out for more info soon"

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think Microsoft is trying to get as many partners ready as possible then have a bunch of device updates roll out at the same time.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
I would just like to point out the possibly significant fact that my operator (Three) says that they won't begin to test Mango until October, and that they expect that process to take two weeks.

Microsoft will however hopefully not wait for carriers that are late for the party now, and it's relatively easy to fake a debranded phone to the updating service :D

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
and it's relatively easy to fake a debranded phone to the updating service :D
Emailing 3 Sweden this instant, informing them of your evil plans...

devil-smiley-003.gif

Dear 3 Sweden... ;)

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to point out the possibly significant fact that my operator (Three) says that they won't begin to test Mango until October, and that they expect that process to take two weeks.

Microsoft will however hopefully not wait for carriers that are late for the party now, and it's relatively easy to fake a debranded phone to the updating service :D

What possible reason do they have for stalling the process so much? They've been sat on Mango for God knows how long now and they haven't even started testing?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon