How fast will WP7 be moving in the coming months?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been keeping up with WP7 since...well, since it was first announced. I still have my ol' Imagio (WinMo 6.5) running on its last leg. I'm available for an upgrade on Verizon and my contract ends 11/27 (and yes, I am counting the days). I've used the Trophy and it is great and all (I even convinced my sister to buy one), but I'd rather put up with this phone and get a second-gen WP7 as soon as they come out.

I've been wondering, how much will the marketplace change before 11/27? Surely AT&T will have their three announced phones by then, right? I doubt Verizon will still have anything new, although they better have announced something by then.

To sum it up, I've been looking to the future for over a year now, trying to see what my next phone would be and now that I'm getting close, I'm getting antsy not knowing what'll be out then.

Here's my bet:
AT&T-3 released phones
T-Mo-1 released phone
Verizon-1 announced phone
Sprint-1 announced phone

Anyone else want to take a shot in the dark? Mind you, this is only for fun. I'm simply trying to pass the time until I get my hands on some Mango-y goodness. Please, no fighting about carriers. :)

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So, I've been keeping up with WP7 since...well, since it was first announced. I still have my ol' Imagio (WinMo 6.5) running on its last leg. I'm available for an upgrade on Verizon and my contract ends 11/27 (and yes, I am counting the days). I've used the Trophy and it is great and all (I even convinced my sister to buy one), but I'd rather put up with this phone and get a second-gen WP7 as soon as they come out.

I've been wondering, how much will the marketplace change before 11/27? Surely AT&T will have their three announced phones by then, right? I doubt Verizon will still have anything new, although they better have announced something by then.

To sum it up, I've been looking to the future for over a year now, trying to see what my next phone would be and now that I'm getting close, I'm getting antsy not knowing what'll be out then.

Here's my bet:
AT&T-3 released phones
T-Mo-1 released phone
Verizon-1 announced phone
Sprint-1 announced phone

Anyone else want to take a shot in the dark? Mind you, this is only for fun. I'm simply trying to pass the time until I get my hands on some Mango-y goodness. Please, no fighting about carriers. :)
I would say that all four major US carriers will have at least one Generation II Windows Phone available by that time (November 27th). AT&T will have theirs out by the first week in November I think. Sprint and T-Mobile will follow soon agter. Verizon will likely only have one device available again this year, and it will likely come out just before Christmas. Waiting until after Christmas would be just stupid from a marketing standpoint.

Of course it is all theoretical at this point, but it's fun to guess.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I agree with BurnEthanol, I think every carrier will have atleast one phone. I'm not sure if this is a trend or not, but it'd be cool if hardware came out only during each new release. That way you could buy a phone and have the latest and greatest for 6 months, until the next update. With Android you can buy a phone one week and have it obsolete the following week. Their phones are evolving too quickly to be locked into a 2 year contract.

Look at AT&T. We've had the same 3 phones since WP7 launch. We'll get a few more phones for Mango, but I think that might be it until Apollo. Personally I think this trend is best for consumers. What do you guys think?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Watch for the Nokia phone to come out soon. I am sure they will want to impress to get a foothold in the U.S. again.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Watch for the Nokia phone to come out soon. I am sure they will want to impress to get a foothold in the U.S. again.

I've been hearing rumors of late feb, 2012... Hope that's wrong and we see something by the end of the year in the US.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to agree with Sinime on the Nokia rumor. Nokia seems to have the US on the back-burner for now. I don't think we'll see a Nokia phone in the US until next year. I guess we'll see at Nokia World October 26-27.

I honestly do not see Verizon getting a new mango phone until next year, either. There wasn't a WP on their Q4 roadmap (which doesn't mean everything, but still), and there hasn't been even the slightest glimmer of hope that they are getting one yet. I see Verizon dragging its feet again until about February-April, when I bet they'll go all-in. I say this because Verizon is starting to come around to WP7, but they aren't the biggest risk-takers, and probably won't dive in until they can actually start seeing returns.

I think I'll still stick with my initial guess for now, but I'm still hoping for a Verizon phone by 11/27. :)

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I added a poll just for fun. Since there have already been four announced, I started with 5, just to be optimistic. :) How about you explain your choice below? Enjoy!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Six sounds about right, but I voted eight because I'm not going to entirely discount the potential of Nokia coming through with handsets for a couple of different carriers. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but a kid can dream, can't he?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think that Nokias mid range goal is to for once and for all get a firm fotthold in the US NA market with WP If they are truly all in they have yo be present id a strong way in the US market as well as everywhere else. We might not like all the WP's they are going to offer but if they are in low medium and high end range they should be putting out several in each tier every year

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It has been two and a half weeks since I created this post. Anyone have any different perspectives now? I'm actually still going to agree with my initial guess.

Also, what about international carriers? I'm not very well read on any of them (I can name them, but that's about it...), so anyone want to fill me in?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think six maybe 8 if Nokia comes up with 2-3 or maybe Asus does a quick surprise. If the 2nd gen does well sales wise maybe Dell will quickly get back in with a gen2 device

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I think six maybe 8 if Nokia comes up with 2-3 or maybe Asus does a quick surprise. If the 2nd gen does well sales wise maybe Dell will quickly get back in with a gen2 device

I would LOVE a Dell 2nd gen phone. However, I'm not going to hold my breath. I don't see that happening in the next year. Also, I still believe that Nokia won't hit the US until Q1 of 2012. Hopefully they will pull a wildcard at their event next week and surprise us all, but once again, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Canada still has ZERO Wp announced so far :(

Aw man! Sorry to hear that. You could always move down here to Texas where it is warmer, anyway. :p

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, we are ten days from my contract ending. There still hasn't been an announced Verizon or Sprint phone. It also seems like everyone that answered on the poll was wrong, since I didn't even make it to go to four. :(

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, we are ten days from my contract ending. There still hasn't been an announced Verizon or Sprint phone. It also seems like everyone that answered on the poll was wrong, since I didn't even make it to go to four. :(

Well, iirc, didn't one carrier in Canada release a ZTE rebrand phone? At least in terms of worldwide mango HW, we do have one in Japan (Fujitsu-Toshiba), one in China (ZTE), 4 from HTC and Sammy.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, iirc, didn't one carrier in Canada release a ZTE rebrand phone? At least in terms of worldwide mango HW, we do have one in Japan (Fujitsu-Toshiba), one in China (ZTE), 4 from HTC and Sammy.

Yes, worldwide Windows Phone is looking a lot better. I mean look at what all Nokia is doing in Europe! However, when I made the poll, I had only the US in mind (see the poll question). That is probably because I'm a terrible, ethnocentric American, though. :)

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, worldwide Windows Phone is looking a lot better. I mean look at what all Nokia is doing in Europe! However, when I made the poll, I had only the US in mind (see the poll question). That is probably because I'm a terrible, ethnocentric American, though. :)

I'm not any different. I want more US phones, and more releases to speed up their US deployment. WP7 is horribly unpopular, so even limited stock isn't going to fly off of shelves, leaving more for me :D Besides, well advertised products that are OOS make them seem "wanted" and "popular," lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb