Mango on a different network to the one you started with

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a (very lovely) HTC 7 Trophy, which started life on Vodafone UK. I've recently moved to 3, and the Trophy works perfectly with the 3 sim, no problems at all. It didn't even need to be unlocked - which is interesting, as everyone told me that the phones were network-locked and exclusives, even in the CPW I bought it from!

But, when Mango comes out, will my phone be able to update? Is the update reliant on a notification to the phone via the network operator itself, or can I just check on Windows Phone Connector for Mac for the update?

Or should I be shoving in a PAYG Vodafone sim into the Trophy for a bit each day? :)

Any thoughts? :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
if anything you might get the update sooner depending what network your on... but if your carrier doesn’t support WP... you might not get the update ... not sure how that works exactly if the carrier doesn’t offered WP..

. ( worst case, when MANGO comes out , you can go get yourself a pre-paid 20$ SIM card with a wp7 carrier to get the update .. then switch back to your own carrier )

another interesting fact... MOST European phones ( up to now anyways) come already UNLOCKED for other carriers ( something they don’t do in America ) and Often FAIL to mention to you when you buy the phone lol ... ( so i was told by a HTC rep any ways )

not sure why they do it , but they do.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think most handsets the Carphone Warehouse has are unlocked for any of the networks.
(Although they don't always mention this of course) :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Is it actually a Voda branded phone or did you buy an unbranded, unlocked phone but tied to a contract? From what you say it sounds like its completely carrier independent, but if not worst thing is that the schedule for the delivery will be determined by whether Voda has finished their testing of the update.

Once they have signed off on it you wont have a problem getting it even though you are on a different network as the update is delivered via the Zune software and you will receive a notification when you connect your device.

If you have an unbranded device however you are in even better shape as they typically get updates first. Keep an eye out for when the update starts rolling out for Voda UK and unbranded handset either way.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought, but the salesdroid specifically made a point of telling/warning me that it was locked to Vodafone, and that WP7 phones and iPhones were the only ones that are like this from CPW. I'd probably have preferred an Omnia 7 or a HTC Mozart otherwise. :)

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
And sadly, its a great big Vodafone animation every time I turn it on. It's very much a Vodafone branded handset. Bought off-contract for way toooo much money :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought, but the salesdroid specifically made a point of telling/warning me that it was locked to Vodafone, and that WP7 phones and iPhones were the only ones that are like this from CPW. I'd probably have preferred an Omnia 7 or a HTC Mozart otherwise. :)

that’s BS .. i tell that to all my clients , if a client takes his phone to an other carrier ( within 3months ) they take BACK my commission.....

he probly just said that so you dont cancel and in return cost him to loses cash ...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And sadly, its a great big Vodafone animation every time I turn it on. It's very much a Vodafone branded handset. Bought off-contract for way toooo much money :)

Well there's always the option to flash a generic WP7 rom so the handset will be seen as a non-voda device. I think xda has roms for the Trophy, including a leaked Mango rom. May not be worth it though if you need support down the road.

But I still think you will be good to go for Mango, just need to wait with all the other Voda users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos