So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. WP7 > Android

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Needed something to surf the web with while sitting on my couch watching TV and didn't want to continue using a combination of my phone and laptop so I bought the big galaxy tablet. It's a nice device and all, and flash really helps, but wow. Jumping from the WP7 interface to the Android one is painful.

Really unintuitive interface. I mean everything's there, its just not nice to use at all. I can now understand what everyone says about Android's user experience. I came over from an iPhone 4 and this is the first time I've used an Android device, and you can really tell it's crafted as a poor man's iOS, just with the ability to modify a lot more stuff. It's just not refined. If that's the one thing I could say about Android, its unrefined.

Anyway, long story short, no comparison at all between WP7 and Android, and I'm glad I took the former for my phone. I'll probably use the tablet for web surfing and checking email, but will definitely use a W8 tablet/laptop for more serious purposes when they arrive. Will be interesting to see if Microsoft will be able to execute on integrating their products and achieving their "3 Screens and a Cloud" vision

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Tab 7 WiFi a while back just to play with and see what all the fuss was about. It was interesting for a while. Now it pretty much sits unloved in the corner while it waits for me to get motiviated enough to throw it up on Craigslist. I thought I'd keep it around for couch surfing, etc. but found it didn't really see that much action as it was more convenient and quicker to just whip my phone out if I wanted to check forums, email, facebook. Guess I'm just not one of those people who the "third device" was intended for. I think the final straw came a few months after I had it and it kept locking up on me after a couple of hours of continuous uptime. I tried several "fixes" to get it back to it's former performance state but nothing worked until I did a factory reset. It was at the point I really kind of just said to heck with it. That and the fact that it looks as though it may never get updated to Gingerbread as promised kind of doomed it for me.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I find this thread really interesting, since I'm considering whether to get a tablet myself. It's great to hear all of your viewpoints.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Tab 7 WiFi a while back just to play with and see what all the fuss was about. It was interesting for a while. Now it pretty much sits unloved in the corner while it waits for me to get motiviated enough to throw it up on Craigslist. I thought I'd keep it around for couch surfing, etc. but found it didn't really see that much action as it was more convenient and quicker to just whip my phone out if I wanted to check forums, email, facebook. Guess I'm just not one of those people who the "third device" was intended for. I think the final straw came a few months after I had it and it kept locking up on me after a couple of hours of continuous uptime. I tried several "fixes" to get it back to it's former performance state but nothing worked until I did a factory reset. It was at the point I really kind of just said to heck with it. That and the fact that it looks as though it may never get updated to Gingerbread as promised kind of doomed it for me.

So you actually prefer to watch video on a small phone screen instead of a 9"?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion the ipad is easily better than any Android tablet. I can't wait for a windows 8 tablet.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So you actually prefer to watch video on a small phone screen instead of a 9"?

I just read my post again to make sure, but nope, I still don't see where I mentioned anything about watching video. In fact I don't watch video on handheld devices, period, unless someone links me to the occasional short YouTube clip they want me to see. And if I'm couch surfing I'm sitting in front of the television so I'm not watching videos anyway.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I just read my post again to make sure, but nope, I still don't see where I mentioned anything about watching video. In fact I don't watch video on handheld devices, period, unless someone links me to the occasional short YouTube clip they want me to see. And if I'm couch surfing I'm sitting in front of the television so I'm not watching videos anyway.

I dunno, I love the ability to watch Netflix or other streaming video on the couch or in my bed. The iPad gives me that freedom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans