Trick your phone to update to Mango!!!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
this could already be posted but too many posts to read through. but i've done the force update and it worked but I was wondering would we be getting the carrier approved version or could we be getting one that isn't and therefore be missing features?

i'm missing bing music and local scout restaurant reviews but from what else i've read it could be an australia thing.
While not ideal, try setting Internet Explorer browser and search language to English United States and see if any more options appear for you drg. :)

Settings / Region & Language / Browser & Search Language (Right at the bottom)

safesax2002

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
idk who found this, but we should build a statue of whoever did and plant it in Redmond on the campus, right outside Ballmer's office. This was pure genius.....Took me 5 minutes to do the work-around (2 tries), and 45 minutes or so to get mango on my HD7. It is amazing. Only problem I'm having from what we were promised is that my e-mail is not unified into one inbox, but I may have missed the part where I have to do it manually somehow. Still, from a guy who came from Android to Win7, i love seeing the hack community pull stuff like this out.
It's there but you have to do enable linked inboxes manually. Open one of your mail boxes, then press the 3 dots down in the corner (I like to think of it as right-clicking :) ), then press linked inboxes. From there link your accounts and give it a name. By default my linked inboxes were called Linked Inboxes. I renamed it Personal.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
this trick still doesnt work for me ( im with rogers FOCUS 1.3 )

i tryed AAAALLLLLLLLLL night last night... :( still no mango

WHERES MY UPDATE!!

phendrena

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It took about 10-20 mins for me to get it to work but, eventually, it did.
I am now running Mango on mu HTC HD7 and i am enjoying it immensely.

scythe_02

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well let's see here.

I have tried doing it with all data/WiFi on, just data on and WiFi off, WiFi on and data off, and all data WiFi on.

Once I hit update and Zune tells me my phone is up to date I click on either linking or wireless sync then back to update. At that point I have tried it in all different timed variables. anything from 1-2 seconds in increments of 5 seconds all the way up to the 30 second mark.

I just restarted my computer and opened Zune to check for the update, my Ethernet is plugged in and it tells me it can't check for the update at this time. I just get random messages like that constantly.

So sick of this, can't believe how much of my day I am wasting on it

Don't give up...I have been trying ever since Tuesday at 5 pm when I got home from work and then for hours Tuesday & Wednesday. I was about ready to give up myself when I brought in with me and have tried several times and it just got the .7403 update - next MANGO!

Here's what I did:

- I have a WP7 Trophy through Verizon
- I turned off Wi-Fi, cellular data AND updates on the phone
- I hit the update button on Zune and counted to 3 (one one thousand, two one thousand, three) then pulled the ethernet out. Nothing.
- I hit the update button again (after plugging back in the ethernet) and counted to 5 (same was as above) and on 5 pulled the ethernet. On about the 8th try, it finally found the next update and just finished installing.

Now Zune is installing the next update (could it be "fruity"?!?!) and my phone says there is an update available.

Waiting at 5 of 9 for the computer then installing to my phone.

DON'T LOSE HOPE!!! It will work, you just have to be patient and keep trying, using different times to pull the ethernet.

It will work...I almost gave up too. But I wanted it too much and kept working at it.

I hope this helps.

** Just saw firedancer1189 got Mango, but I will leave this here for other Trophy users to use as a guideline of what worked for me **

Last edited:

scythe_02

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten this to work on a Mac using Windows Phone 7 Connector?

I got an update earlier on my VZW Trophy, but that only got me to 7392.

I have tried numerous times to turn of the wi-fi on my MacBook (counting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi) and am having no luck.

Anyone?

I have tried on both my MAC computers at home and it never found the update. I just about gave up until I tried it from a PC with Zune installed and found the update after about 5 tries, on step 7 of 9 for Mango now.

I also have a VZW Trophy and got the 7392 update Tuesday evening, but nothing else until now. (ps. check my previous post for the complete steps I did that got it to work...I also counted one one thousand up to 5 then pulled the connection out of the computer)

Good luck!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
YAY!! FINALLY!! update is availoable for you to download!!!! WOOOOOT

one thing i noticed about the trick ....

i did it like 30 times before i said: what if i ALSO disconnect auto update ( lol ) even doh my connection is turned off.

and it worked first try after i did that!!!!.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Posting this again for my fellow Mac users in case it was missed. Windows Connector apparently can't be tricked.

I was not able to trick Windows Connector for Mac into presenting the update, despite many, many tries while varying the timing of shutting off my wi-fi connection. I was able to trick the Zune software on my Win7 laptop on the first attempt. If you are a Mac user and you just can't get Windows Connector to present the update, my suggestion is to use Windows and Zune to force the update instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

i did it like 30 times before i said: what if i ALSO disconnect auto update ( lol ) even doh my connection is turned off.

Don't laugh. I did the trick about 100 times and couldn't get it. Then I stopped using the trick and i got it. :confused:

HammeRed007

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
a little trick

I found that I needed to click between "Linking" and "Update" rapid fire like about 5 times apeice landing on "Update" and then unhooking my ethernet cable right away and then it worked.

(I have a Samsung Focus, not sure what version... , phone Wifi off, Phone Update option both clicked off in Settings.)

But It finally worked :)

mmmmm... Mangooooo..... hhlhlhhlhhlhlhhlhlhhlllllll........

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get this to work by disabling wifi after clicking "update". Tried a million times. Switched to ethernet, and it worked on the first try.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I posted in the Trophy forums, but perhaps I can get some help here...I am currently on Step 6 of 10 of the Mango update process - Restarting Your Phone. It seems to hang up here and I've let it sit for quite a while. The phone shows a picture of a phone with a cable attached to it and an arrow pointing to a computer. The phone is plugged in and connected to the computer so I'm not sure what the issue is. The device manager is listing the phone as "Zune." Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a solution? Am I just being impatient?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

great enjoy gald you finally got it!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

great glad you finally goy it ENJOY!

grantc5

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep trying every possible combination, still nothing.

Will it matter what version of zune software I'm running?
I've got 4.8.2345.0

wp7rockson

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
What worked for me: Disabled WIFI on the phone and data. Hit the update and then turned my router off, a few seconds later boom, an update has been found. I find this really strange but i'm glad it's working. (Still updating)

Does anyone know why it has this glitch ? My thought it that it must search the web for which serial numbers of phones it's doing the update or something of the likes and when it has no web connection it just says there's an update.

Thanks for posting, i tried this and im actually updating my phone right now! Awesome method haha. Thank you!

AllyMediaGroup

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It does work!!

Worked like a charm on both my Windows 7 with Zune, and wife's Mac with Windows Phone Connector. I was on WIFI on both laptops, it all just comes down to the timing to allow the software to see and update, but not whether your device is allowed the update. It was about 2 seconds disconnect from wifi, wait till it says update available, then reconnect the WIFI. It was simple just took a few tries.

UPDATE Your Zune Software before attempting. Mango Requires the latest zune to even see the update. If your phone was told there was an update when you plug it into your computer it will tell Zune it needs to update. Since we are forcing the update, zune needs to be updated manually. I updated my Zune software weeks ago in prep for this update.

It checks the IMEI number against a database with the manufacturers. They have told it only to update 10% of the devices out there, if your not in the 10% the computers chose then you would have to wait. When you interrupt the check at just the right moment it works. Zune knows the update is available, when it gets the bounce back saying that your not allowed right now it says that there is no update, if you pull the connection the software does not get the bounce back and so it is non the wiser that your phone has not actually been selected to be updated.

Last edited:

grantc5

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
it seems zune only checks for the update through the phone itself...
even with the pc connected to my router, if the data is off on the phone it always comes back unable to find the update service... :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa