Trick your phone to update to Mango!!!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Literally can't remember the last time I was frustrated about something tech related and I am in IT for a living.

I can't get it to work for the life of me. I am on try 34 and every single time it does one of two things. It either tells me My phone is already up to date (which I am assuming I pull the plug on my Ethernet too late, or it tells me it can't check at this time (which I am assuming I pull the plug too early)

I have restarted both Zune and my computer countless times, I have data and WiFi turned off on my phone. I have done every variant possible and I am about ready to call it quits.

Anyone have any tips for me or do I just keep doing it till I hit around 100 before I say the **** with it and fire up a Galaxy II?

Leave your wifi (On your phone) ON but the data off. Then try it again. Worked for me

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Man I have tried that too.

With my PC disconnected and WiFi on my phone turned on Zune will still tell me my phone is up to date.

This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Leave your wifi (On your phone) ON but the data off. Then try it again. Worked for me

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I had been trying for legit half an
hour to absolutely no avail and THIS WORKED! What was confusing was that I don't have a SIM in my Focus, so to me, "data off" means "wi-fi off". For the life of me, I don't understand why any of this works, but now I"m on Step 7/10! THANK YOUUUUUU!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Literally can't remember the last time I was frustrated about something tech related and I am in IT for a living.

I can't get it to work for the life of me. I am on try 34 and every single time it does one of two things. It either tells me My phone is already up to date (which I am assuming I pull the plug on my Ethernet too late, or it tells me it can't check at this time (which I am assuming I pull the plug too early)

I have restarted both Zune and my computer countless times, I have data and WiFi turned off on my phone. I have done every variant possible and I am about ready to call it quits.

Anyone have any tips for me or do I just keep doing it till I hit around 100 before I say the **** with it and fire up a Galaxy II?

So with wifi on and data off of your cell phone, you click update, let it tell you its updated, click below or above, then click back to update while disconnecting your home internet at the same time, and nothing happens? :( that sucks

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I had been trying for legit half an
hour to absolutely no avail and THIS WORKED! What was confusing was that I don't have a SIM in my Focus, so to me, "data off" means "wi-fi off". For the life of me, I don't understand why any of this works, but now I"m on Step 7/10! THANK YOUUUUUU!

Lol no prob. That was irking me also and that one step made me hit my forehead hard LOL

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's going on 45 minutes of trying every variable of all the information I have read in this thread and others so far. It's frustrating. This whole experience is just making me want to finally retire my phone and get into something else.

I think it's just some sort of higher power telling me it's time and I am not meant for WP7

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's going on 45 minutes of trying every variable of all the information I have read in this thread and others so far. It's frustrating. This whole experience is just making me want to finally retire my phone and get into something else.

I think it's just some sort of higher power telling me it's time and I am not meant for WP7

Can you break down the steps and methods you've taken and hopefully one of us can shed some light on what's going wrong.

BTW, you don't have to restart ANYTHING in order to get this to work. That'll just take a whole load more of your time while frustrating you. Simply toggle between and 'update' and whatever else in the same list in order to get it started again.

MikeySoft

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me perfect.

Before we begin, keep in mind that a total of three updates must be installed on the path to Mango: 7392, 7403, and 7720, which is Mango itself. The process will take a while. Some people may already have 7392, in which case things will move a bit faster. I also recommend removing any music and unessential apps from the phone beforehand, as that can significantly cut down on the time it takes to backup and restore the phone's data.

Steps to force a Mango update on phones for which Mango has started rolling out:

Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available. This is 7392, the first Mango pre-update.
Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
After 7392 is fully installed, you may receive a notification that another update is available. If so, install it now. If not, proceed to the next step.
If the second update isn't popping up on its own, repeat steps 3-5, causing the 7403 update to appear.
Install 7403, brave reader. Speeding right along, isn't it? ;)
Mango time! At this point, Zune should automatically start installing the last update, 7720, aka Mango. If it doesn't happen automatically, force it like we did in previous steps.
This last step is very important! Celebrate your phone?s new found Mango status by purchasing a mango smoothie at your nearest Smoothie King, Jamba Juice, Baskin Robbins, or similar establishment.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's very handy that Mango starts to download immediately after 7340. :)

Ok, so this is what's going on...

I tried one last time to get this thing going. It found 7403. It finished installing and immediately said, it's searching for additional updates. It found something and starting installing it. I'm currently now on step 2. I hope it's 7.5!

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well let's see here.

I have tried doing it with all data/WiFi on, just data on and WiFi off, WiFi on and data off, and all data WiFi on.

Once I hit update and Zune tells me my phone is up to date I click on either linking or wireless sync then back to update. At that point I have tried it in all different timed variables. anything from 1-2 seconds in increments of 5 seconds all the way up to the 30 second mark.

I just restarted my computer and opened Zune to check for the update, my Ethernet is plugged in and it tells me it can't check for the update at this time. I just get random messages like that constantly.

So sick of this, can't believe how much of my day I am wasting on it

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me perfect.

Before we begin, keep in mind that a total of three updates must be installed on the path to Mango: 7392, 7403, and 7720, which is Mango itself. The process will take a while. Some people may already have 7392, in which case things will move a bit faster. I also recommend removing any music and unessential apps from the phone beforehand, as that can significantly cut down on the time it takes to backup and restore the phone's data.

Steps to force a Mango update on phones for which Mango has started rolling out:

Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available. This is 7392, the first Mango pre-update.
Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
After 7392 is fully installed, you may receive a notification that another update is available. If so, install it now. If not, proceed to the next step.
If the second update isn't popping up on its own, repeat steps 3-5, causing the 7403 update to appear.
Install 7403, brave reader. Speeding right along, isn't it? ;)
Mango time! At this point, Zune should automatically start installing the last update, 7720, aka Mango. If it doesn't happen automatically, force it like we did in previous steps.
This last step is very important! Celebrate your phone?s new found Mango status by purchasing a mango smoothie at your nearest Smoothie King, Jamba Juice, Baskin Robbins, or similar establishment.

Most people would have already been at this step, so to avoid panic, 2 updates is all that's needed for most. :)

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
At this point would it be easier for me to restore to a previous version and see if that works?

I am close to just firing up my Blackberry till the Galaxy II is available at AT&T

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
anyone else on an incredibly long wait during the 7403 update process?

I've been on "Please wait while we determine the amount of disk space required to complete the update" part for quite awhile....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss