How easy to switch?

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello WP7 lovers. So I am fairly certain that I am jumping to WP7 soon. I've been waiting for Mango to come out and some new phones. I really am digging the Focus S that is coming out (hopefully soon); although I really would like one from Nokia but they are taking forever. I just have a few questions about how easy it will be for me to switch.

I left Windows Mobile back in 2007 for the iPhone and have been quite happy up until this year with my iPhone. The current latest release of iOS 4.3.x is not the stable reliable iPhone I have been using for 4 years and it is really a major bummer. Apple's delay this year with iOS 5 and the new model have gotten me quite bored of my iPhone and itching for something new. Finally, the latest release of iTunes is also nothing but a headache and is the only program my laptop has trouble running. I tried a Moto Atrix earlier this year and hated it, all I saw when using Android was a fancier looking Windows Mobile with all the same problems I used to experience 4 years ago. Not that WP7 is my last choice, I actually really dig it and love the Metro UI and that MS is doing something different. I'm quite excited.

So with that said. I'm actually pretty much all in with Microsoft with everything else; Hotmail, Windows 7 x64, Xbox LIVE so I'm kind of looking forward to putting in the last piece of the puzzle here with WP7.

Do any WP7 devices use the micro-SIM that the iPhone 4 uses? If not will AT&T give me any hassle about getting a mini-SIM to use in my new WP7 device?

How well does GMail work on the iPhone? I have it setup via Exchange on my iPhone now for push email and my contacts are also stored with Google.

Finally, if I switch devices will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan on AT&T?

TIA.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Gmail works great - no problems there. I also have my old iPhone 4 micro SIM in my WP7 phone via a sim adaptor. Works absolutely fine!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
As Pronk said, Gmail works fine on WP7. I use gmail as my primary email since I came from a droid. I think you will really like WP7. It is so fast and smooth it is amazing. It impresses me more and more each day.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Since your coming from a iPhone you'll love mango guarantee it man, ie9 is the closest thing to safari, email is great, fb and twitter integration, office and SkyDrive all clouded out is amazing, Zune is better the iPod imo, we got big name apps, still missing some but apps are really the only thing we need at this point and that will come in time.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I hadn't even thought about an adapter for the micro-SIM. I will have to look at those.

I am pretty certain I will like WP7, I've heard a lot of really good things about it's performance and ease of use. Looking forward to some change. I'm not really worried about the browser, I barely use Safari as it is and use apps for about 99% of my doings. That includes MS's fabulous Bing app for iOS as well.

Does anyone know about the data plan?

Oh and I'm also already quite familiar with the Zune software as I have been using it for several years now to stream recorded TV from my Dell XPS One to my Xbox 360. I know it runs infinitely better than iTunes any day.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am a big Google user, and formerly a big Android guy, and I have had no trouble. I do miss tinkering with custom roms and launchers and such but I like the live tile paradigm enough that it is no biggy.

AT&T made me give up my unlimited data plan when I switched, but I was coming in with unlimited data from a regional carrier they had purchased, not an unlimited iPhone plan, so I don't know how that translates. Either way, I use the internet a LOT on my phone, I have my face in it pretty much all the time, and I have never gone over my two gig limit.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're in the target market for WP7 already. You should have no trouble switching at all. Mango finally brings WP7 up to the level of polish in iOS, and actually surpasses iOS in meaningful ways. Your decision is easier than mine; I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and I don't use Zune, Xbox Live, Hotmail or even Skydrive. And yet Mango has me strongly considering switching to WP7 for daily phone use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can keep the unlimited data.

Oh yeah, they should let you keep the unlimited data plan. I had it from iPhone 1 - 3gs - 4. I dumped the 4 last August and was looking at the Captivate Samsung Galaxy S device, but wanted to wait for the WP 7 launch. Problem was I needed a phone because I had already sold the 3gs. I scrambled and acquired a used Samsung Black Jack II Sgh i617. I went into the AT&T store to make sure they kept my unlimited data even through that. They had to use some other plan than the iPhone plan to do it, and they did. When I got my Focus in November 2010 (good deal via Amazon Wireless), I called AT&T and made sure they kept that unlimited plan as well. I still have it. Am glad to as well.

I went up to 4.6 Gb a few months ago when my wifi at home was down. It's not hard to do if you stream a lot of video.

Kalle

PS - you won't regret the Focus, but I'd wait for the new Samsung hardware. It's bound to be coming out soon. Unless you get a great deal on the Focus!

Does anyone know about the data plan?

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlimited data plan now for 2.5 years and had no issues when upgrading to new smartphone....they just "grandfather" it in.

Just make sure you inform the rep assisting you that you want to keep your existing plan so they do not make a mistake and switch you to one of the tiered plans.

Should be as easy as pie for you.

Hopefully you will be enjoying your new WP7 that "just works" really soon :)

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Came from iPhone 4, and have loved the decision. Much better than IOS, and the rules are just pretty darn cool. You also don't have to dive in and out of apps to get anything done, and with the mango update, ot is every bit as good as anything apple has put out.

I tried Droid Incredible and it was anything but. The The new iPhone will probably be pretty cool, but it will be the same thong with a few tweaks.

WP7.5 is new,growing rapidly, and should be a solid 3rd choice and start eating into android at some point. I got my Focus on eBay without a contract so I can see what new WP's come out in the next few months!

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923