Who else is waiting for the official notification for Mango?

WayneDiesel34

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna wait, but just couldn't. I did it yesterday and it only took me 2 tries.

One word to describe the update: (In my Dickie V voice) AWESOME BABY, WITH A CAPITOL "A"!!!!! lol

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
For me this has sort of become like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer had a pact to see who could go the longest without, ahem, self-pleasuring. I mean, there's nothing WRONG with forcing the update... It won't make you go blind or grow hair on your palms, and it apparently provides a lot of pleasure ;^). Still, for now, I am master of my domain...

Kalle

PS - also pretty glad to know I'm not alone in waiting for the official notification. WP 7 has made me reevaluate my bias against Microsoft. I think they really got it right. Perfect balance of function, beauty and ease of use. If Apple had invented Metro, every blogger and journalist and tech writer out there would be gushing over it. Oh well, I just want this OS to survive!

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
And talk about a let down. Yesterday I unpack my laptop, load Zune, and plug the phone in. There were 10 updates, excellent, Mango on the way!
This could take awhile I will do a few things around the house while I wait. I go and check on the phone, update complete and no Mango. I had to settle for a bowl of grapes instead with my lunch.:D

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I m waiting, but not through choice - the Zune trick doesnt work in Windows Phone Connector for Mac.

I don't understand why Apple can do worldwide simultaneous OS releases, but Microsoft has to drip feed them out over 4 weeks. What's up with that?

Just a thought. Maybe Microsoft could give enthusiasts a way of finding out when they are scheduled to receive an update. Presumably if they are doing it by imei, then they already know when the update is due for any particular handset and user. If it's due at the end of October, then I can deal with that, but it's very frustrating not having any idea at all. Especially as I can't resist plugging the phone into my mac twice a day at least and checking just in case!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Apple can do worldwide simultaneous OS releases, but Microsoft has to drip feed them out over 4 weeks. What's up with that?

I'm guessing it has to do with having to update so many different hardware variations.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 will have to deal with 3 screen resolutions, wp7 only has 1. IOS 5 will have to deal with the 3GS, 4, 5 (and possibly the 4S), iPad 1, iPad 1 3G, iPad 2, iPad 2 3G, iPod touch g2, g3 and g4. It will be dealing with 3 graphics chipsets, and 4 different main processors. It's not like apple has one model to deal with.

My understanding is, that most of the updates for most of the WP7 phones are ready to go now, but it is being rolled out in stages - the first release representing 10% of the user base, and then in stages over the 4 weeks. My update (for vodafone branded HTC 7 Trophy) is there, sat on a server - presumably, it is staged like this to make sure their servers don't crash.

My response, is for them to get more servers. Or rent a few for a couple of weeks. Which is exactly what Apple does.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, we must remember that Apple controls the hardware, down to the exact material used. They have also designed the phone as well. I remember the WinMob experience, and the difficulty of even getting the update. This update experience, and that of NoDo even are not that bad. A great improvement indeed.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
10 updates?!

errg

Pre-nodo
Nodo
Firmware update
Security update
Pre-Mango

Why so many?

That's what it said, but it went quick. I don't know why there was so many, I did not want to sit there and stare at the screen. I was also afraid with 10 updates the phone might self destruct. :D

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wait for Mango? Crazy talk! When beta was leaked everyone said you have to go back to NoDo or you won't get Mango. When RTM was leaked, everyone said you have to go back to NoDo or you won't get Mango. Well I didn't go back to NoDo and I got Mango. Point is, it's obvious that MS supports our tinkering and impatience.

To quote @billcox: FAQ: When eager #wp7 users "cut in line" for the Mango update, your wait doesn't get longer. We just add capacity automagically.

source: Twitter via Dagolara

So in theory, "line cutters" are doing everyone else a favor by adding more capacity :)

MrRusty

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure your getting the phone specific mango...

Forcing Zune to do the back door update is all fine and good...
But what I want to know is the update that Zune installs on your phone, is it the update made for your phone ie: HTC HD7 or is it a general mango update that?s generic for all phones.
From what I have read so far from Microsoft is that every Mango update is specific and custom made for each phone model and make.
One phone might have a radio problem where one other phone might have a camera problem and another a life battery problem. So the mango update we force Zune to install might not be the right Mango update for that phone.
And by the way the force worked the first time I tried it on my HTC HD7 :)

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I never said they didn't support it. Obviously they tolerate it to some extent, though, to my knowledge, they have not said so publicly. I'm just celebratin' the other side of the street. No one is saying or implying that there's anything wrong with forcing the update. But likewise, there ought to be respect/acceptance for those who decide otherwise. And who's to say, only MS really knows what the data derived from the rollout are telling them.

When patient wp7 users decide to wait for the official update, we are not questioning your decision to force an early update, or suggesting that it's some sort of kludge that will come back to haunt you. No, we're just stepping aside to make way!

Kalle

Wait for Mango? Crazy talk! When beta was leaked everyone said you have to go back to NoDo or you won't get Mango. When RTM was leaked, everyone said you have to go back to NoDo or you won't get Mango. Well I didn't go back to NoDo and I got Mango. Point is, it's obvious that MS supports our tinkering and impatience.

To quote @billcox: FAQ: When eager #wp7 users "cut in line" for the Mango update, your wait doesn't get longer. We just add capacity automagically.

source: Twitter via Dagolara

So in theory, "line cutters" are doing everyone else a favor by adding more capacity :)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure your getting the phone specific mango...

Forcing Zune to do the back door update is all fine and good...
But what I want to know is the update that Zune installs on your phone, is it the update made for your phone ie: HTC HD7 or is it a general mango update that?s generic for all phones.
From what I have read so far from Microsoft is that every Mango update is specific and custom made for each phone model and make.
One phone might have a radio problem where one other phone might have a camera problem and another a life battery problem. So the mango update we force Zune to install might not be the right Mango update for that phone.
And by the way the force worked the first time I tried it on my HTC HD7 :)

In the past, MS update checks your IMEI number to figure out which phone s/w and h/w you have in order to find out which update to push. I'm sure this is no different.

Plus if you do have a "general version" (like RTM Mango or 7712 Beta) you will get a "cleanup update" to get you in the right path, which will then be followed by the carrier specific update.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I never said they didn't support it. Obviously they tolerate it to some extent, though, to my knowledge, they have not said so publicly. I'm just celebratin' the other side of the street. No one is saying or implying that there's anything wrong with forcing the update. But likewise, there ought to be respect/acceptance for those who decide otherwise. And who's to say, only MS really knows what the data derived from the rollout are telling them.

When patient wp7 users decide to wait for the official update, we are not questioning your decision to force an early update, or suggesting that it's some sort of kludge that will come back to haunt you. No, we're just stepping aside to make way!

Kalle

I completely understand and respect your decision. Just stating why I chose to do it. :)

tridom

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Force update worked for me.....

.........on the very first try.

Will let you know if I have any problems. Like so many others, I got the phone with the expectation of this update and got fed up with waiting for it.

tridom

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Kalle

I respect your decision and your right to make it Kalle......and I thank you for "stepping aside to make way" for me to get it. :)->)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb