Mango ruined my battery life Forum

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Maybe to test if it's a program running, before bed shut your phone off to clear everything out and then turn it back on, let it go to standby and then let it run that way over night. A freshly booted phone wouldn't be running anything it shouldn't be.

or just do a long press on the back button any open apps will show up in a card like webos environment In any event I haveny noticed battery life being bad or worse than before. But I normally charge my device overnight from habit (since Treo 600)

dirtbikr

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery went wonky on the RTM leaked build and I figured I would investigate. I charged it all the way to full and used it heavily all day. I made it to about 5PM before it said battery is low, plug it in or risk losing your data. So I kept playing tentacles... and playing... and playing... and playing. It didn't die completely till 8:30. It kept popping up the "slide screen down to turn off" prompt but I kept throwing it away. I then let it charge all the way up to full and I now have no reportable problems with my battery anymore. So, maybe your meter is just off? :)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, background tasks are only allowed to run for a maximum of 25 seconds every half hour for each app. They don't constantly run, so I doubt that would cause such a big difference in battery life. I think it has to be something else.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
One of the biggest strengths of WP7 is battery life. Something is either wrong with my phone or something is wrong with Mango because my battery life has been killed.

Pre-Mango always turned off all internet connections and used airplane mode at night. This would effectively run close to 0-1% battery until the morning.

Post-Mango all internet connections turned off and airplane mode running and it eats about 40% of my battery.

This likely hs to do with background tasks. Anybody know what the **** is going on? Jimskii any ideas?

Check out your settings options. I noticed some of mine had changed after the update. I had to manually reset some. But my battery life seems to be the same if not a little better.

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
my battery life is worse on the Arrive. I was really upset because i love Mango otherwise, but i have turned on battery saver and it is better. would love to know if the battery issues are mango/handset specific though and see if we can rectify en masse.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, background tasks are only allowed to run for a maximum of 25 seconds every half hour for each app. They don't constantly run, so I doubt that would cause such a big difference in battery life. I think it has to be something else.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Yeah. There is definitely something going on behind the scenes which is draining the thing down. It may be a process of elimination to diagnosis this issue.

my battery life is worse on the Arrive. I was really upset because i love Mango otherwise, but i have turned on battery saver and it is better. would love to know if the battery issues are mango/handset specific though and see if we can rectify en masse.

I'm going to try to pinpoint the issue this weekend but if that doesn't get me anywhere then it's back to NoDo and then another shot at Mango.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I am a SUPER conservist when it comes to battery life and I came here to ask about it too. My batterlife is worse since Mango.

I haven't changed locations or my work schedule at all since I got my phone so that is NOT going to be the issue. Same connections and everything.

Things I ALWAYS have turned off unless I need them:
- Wifi
- Feedback
- Auto email updates

The only things I leave on are Cell network and Xbox Live connection. I have ALWAYS left just those two. Emails are only updated manually.

I even have the battery saver under 20% turned on (I wish I could have it on ALL the time instead of it auto-turning off when I charge it. Pain in the butt to enable that after every charge)

Everytime I check background tasks it's empty. I never have anything running yet My battery lasts about 1/4 shorter than it normally did. I used to be able to go 2 days without a charge and now it's about a day and a half.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Yup. I am on the Arrive too.

It's too bad because this is the best cell phone I have ever had. I LOVE how the screen tilts so I can watch Netflix. I love having a keyboard. I love the OS. I love how fast and snappy everything is. I love how easy it is to open and close apps. I love the Xbox Live integration.

But my old Droid 2 would only last a day then I got an extended battery for it and it would last 2.5 days. Same as my arrive before the mango update. And my old iPhone 3g? Forget it! I wish there was an extended battery for the arrive. I don't care if the door is a little thicker.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
From the looks of this thread, it seems that HTC may have borked the Arrive drivers in the update. Is anyone having problems on anything but the Arrive? It would help if everyone having these problems posted what phone they have, or better yet put it in your profile or sig.

I don't remember seeing any complaints from people running Mango beta or RTM. It must have something to do with drivers.

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
From the looks of this thread, it seems that HTC may have borked the Arrive drivers in the update. Is anyone having problems on anything but the Arrive? It would help if everyone having these problems posted what phone they have, or better yet put it in your profile or sig.

I don't remember seeing any complaints from people running Mango beta or RTM. It must have something to do with drivers.

Battery drains quicker for me (Arrive), did not seem to have this problem with leaked RTM...really does seem like a software radio issue because when I connect to wifi there is a HUGE improvement (same as pre-mango)...

Thing that sucks is even if it is an Arrive issue I can't see Sprint doing anything about it...

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess one option is to rollback to the leaked RTM but then you miss out on the improved graphic drivers (scrolling is much smoother and less ghosting to me with Sprint drivers)...

I just hope they fix it.

I always have a charger around me. At work, my car, at home. Not a HUGE deal for me but I just enjoy not having to rely on needing a charger around at all times.

I don't think I want to do the RTM.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed a difference and with the new features and my added usage on the phone, it lasts longer than my old Android

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My battery went wonky on the RTM leaked build and I figured I would investigate. I charged it all the way to full and used it heavily all day. I made it to about 5PM before it said battery is low, plug it in or risk losing your data. So I kept playing tentacles... and playing... and playing... and playing. It didn't die completely till 8:30. It kept popping up the "slide screen down to turn off" prompt but I kept throwing it away. I then let it charge all the way up to full and I now have no reportable problems with my battery anymore. So, maybe your meter is just off? :)

I had this happen to me once on NoDo. The battery ran empty pretty quick on NoDo. I kept getting crticial battery warnings, but the phone never turned off. He could have this problem too...

lekhwani

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Better battery with newer os seems to be the biggest hype in this tech world. In Android they said battery will improve with ginger bread. But didn't. They still say ics will have phenomenal battery life. Let's wait and watch.

To me it seems, newer os comes with plethora of new features i.e. mango, which have to taken care of by the OS in addition to the old features. If we manage to have the same level of battery life as on earlier OS, it's a success.

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
Better battery with newer os seems to be the biggest hype in this tech world. In Android they said battery will improve with ginger bread. But didn't. They still say ics will have phenomenal battery life. Let's wait and watch.

To me it seems, newer os comes with plethora of new features i.e. mango, which have to taken care of by the OS in addition to the old features. If we manage to have the same level of battery life as on earlier OS, it's a success.

For me though, battery life was GREAT with the leaked RTM...as soon as HTC and Sprint put their fingerprints on it, it went to crap...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos