Transfering info from one Windows phone to another

jadoocian

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on the rogers network here in Toronto and moved from a (tmobile) htc hd7 to a (bell) LG Optimus quantum (Obviously both locked).

Is there a way I can transfer all my information over from one phone to the other?

Most important: When I first got my HD7, it took me many hours to sort out my giant contact list (giant since windows pulled in all my contacts from msn, facebook, gmail etc) and link all the contacts up properly to each other. Well now that I moved phones, do I need to do all this again?? Isn't there a way to copy that contacts data over to this phone?

Is there a way to copy over my text msgs? Any any other info I might need?

Thanks in advance. Hoping someone will have an answer for this. You'd think it's easy to go from one wm to another wm phone

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think if you have those contacts saved on Windows Live it should transfer. Wait for a second opinion though lol. Not sure about texts

L

lumic

Texts and phone calls don't get saved, so that's an annoyance. I believe there are slight developments happening at XDA over a file they found that stores all the texts, but no backup tool as of yet.

All your contact information should be synced up to the accounts you added.

jadoocian

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Texts and phone calls don't get saved, so that's an annoyance. I believe there are slight developments happening at XDA over a file they found that stores all the texts, but no backup tool as of yet.

All your contact information should be synced up to the accounts you added.

Ok I can live with the texts/phone calls not being saved.

But as I said, on my old phone I had all my contacts information but many of these contacts I had linked to each other manually on the phone (and took many hours to do so).

Am I able to get those linked contacts over to my new phone somehow? Because right now they are all unlinked again

ie. John Doe1 (imported from facebook)
John Doe2 (imported from msn)
John Doe3 (imported from sim)

etc.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ok I can live with the texts/phone calls not being saved.

But as I said, on my old phone I had all my contacts information but many of these contacts I had linked to each other manually on the phone (and took many hours to do so).

Am I able to get those linked contacts over to my new phone somehow? Because right now they are all unlinked again

ie. John Doe1 (imported from facebook)
John Doe2 (imported from msn)
John Doe3 (imported from sim)

etc.

Sorry but you'll have to set up those links again. No way to sync that info to a new phone.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Contacts with the same name are automatically linked together. At least my Gmail contacts load the profile picture from facebook without me doing anything.

And why would you need contacts on your SIM card? Redundant information on a medium with no back-up and limited information to pass on.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend to take the time and set up your contact list on Windows live or Gmail. The desktop web interface is very convenient and allows for much easier setup, maintainance, backup and makes transferring contacts to a new phone a no-brainer.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the big deal is. Your contacts will automatically download from your email services & facebook ect. Then just have to link up ones which don't do it automatically. Many will automatically link due to having the same name, but it can't know to do it if they are different.

There isn't currently any email provider, exchange server or other contacts database which includes the linked tie-in in windows phones in order to transfer those 'settings'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786