Potential WP owner

Mwanahabari

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
In the past, I have had iPhones, Blackberrys and an Android phone and was thinking of a WP for my next upgrade. Beforehand though I have a few questions:

1) Is it easy to get the phones unlocked?
2) Is it possible to sync contacts and calendars to Yahoo and/or Google?
3) Is there a podcast app which will automatically download new podcasts when on a wi-fi network?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
4) Absolutely. No phone will be left behind, that includes Developer phones that are not for sell, Prototypes and even phones like the HD2 that weren't even made with WP7 in mind.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Dell sells an unlocked version of their Venue Pro for $299 on their website. As far as I know that's the only unlocked Windows phone sold in the USA. Of course, you can always buy European GSM phones on Amazon.com. They will work on AT&T's 3G network.

Hopefully Nokia will continue their tradition of selling unlocked phones, in addition to selling them subsidized through carriers.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
1) Is it easy to get the phones unlocked?

Yes. In fact you can buy the Dell Venue Pro already unlocked. However, if you live in America then getting your phone unlocked is much the same process as any phone. I.E. a hassle.

2) Is it possible to sync contacts and calendars to Yahoo and/or Google?

It's my understanding that Google can be synced, I'm just not sure how because I've only used Live to sync my contacts.

3) Is there a podcast app which will automatically download new podcasts when on a wi-fi network?

There are two things that you have to do to make this happen. First is to setup wireless sync to your WP7 and Zune. Then click "Subscribe" to any podcasts you want to auto download.

4) Can every Windows phone be updated to Mango?

Yes. In fact that's happening right now. ;)

Last edited:

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
1. I have no idea.
2. Yes, you can, although it will try to force you to link them with a Windows Live account.
3. There is a podcast function, but you can't update over wifi, you have to connect to Zune for it to update.

BTW, if you like to do any sort of customization to your phone at all (ringtones, alerts, colors, app grouping, wallpapers, backgrounds, etc) don't bother.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
1. I have no idea.
2. Yes, you can, although it will try to force you to link them with a Windows Live account.
3. There is a podcast function, but you can't update over wifi, you have to connect to Zune for it to update.

BTW, if you like to do any sort of customization to your phone at all (ringtones, alerts, colors, app grouping, wallpapers, backgrounds, etc) don't bother.

Ummm... custom ringtones came with Mango.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
just wanted to add that once you get mango, you can Subscribe to podcast right from the phone by going through the marketplace. you set how many episodes you want it to keep on the phone and it will download the new ones whenever your on wifi.

Mwanahabari

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. As for unlocking, will I not just be able to take it somewhere where they unlock mobile phones, or has it to be done by the carrier like iPhones?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
1. I have no idea.

Ok, let's see: Mango brought custom ringtones. I'm not sure what you mean by alerts, but nearly all apps have push notifications now and you can change alert sounds, there's 10 accent colors to choice from, and wallpapers/background would completely disrupt the aesthetics. As for app grouping, there are Hubs. You know, Xbox LIVE hub, Music/Zune hub, picture hub, etc.

Not sure you should listen to this guy. He doesn't seem very credible.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. As for unlocking, will I not just be able to take it somewhere where they unlock mobile phones, or has it to be done by the carrier like iPhones?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Yes you can take it to places that unlock phones

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo mail is supported on Pre-Mango phones, but not contacts and calendar syncing. Only Windows Live / Hotmail, Google and Microsoft Exchange.

I don't know if Yahoo is supported fully on syncing on Mango though. Anyone know?

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let's see: Mango brought custom ringtones. I'm not sure what you mean by alerts, but nearly all apps have push notifications now and you can change alert sounds, there's 10 accent colors to choice from, and wallpapers/background would completely disrupt the aesthetics. As for app grouping, there are Hubs. You know, Xbox LIVE hub, Music/Zune hub, picture hub, etc.

Not sure you should listen to this guy. He doesn't seem very credible.

Alerts would be the sounds that the phone makes when you get a text message or an email. You know, that little noise it makes? That's called an 'alert' tone.

Wow, 10 accent colors, what a pathetic amount of choices.

I think it should be up to the user, not the software, as to what the asthetics are. If you don't want to use custom wallpapers, background colors, etc, YOU DON"T HAVE TO.

I said, and will say again, CUSTOM HUBS. You know, so I can creat my own app groups?

I'm not credible? Wow, you're not reading, are you??

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Alerts would be the sounds that the phone makes when you get a text message or an email. You know, that little noise it makes? That's called an 'alert' tone.

Wow, 10 accent colors, what a pathetic amount of choices.

I think it should be up to the user, not the software, as to what the asthetics are. If you don't want to use custom wallpapers, background colors, etc, YOU DON"T HAVE TO.

I said, and will say again, CUSTOM HUBS. You know, so I can creat my own app groups?

I'm not credible? Wow, you're not reading, are you??

LOL, actually you just proved your incredibility. You can change the alert tones. If you need help figuring out how, I'm sure there's a tutorial on YouTube LOL.

Yes, there's 10 accent colors and 2 background themes. How many is there on iOS?

Custom hubs would be nice. But it's nothing anyone is missing. I'm not sure what you would want grouoped that you can't do now.. All games are categorized into the XBL hub. All vidoes/music and video/music apps are grouped into the Zune hub. And guess what, you have a Start screen where yo ucan pin an unlimited amount of tiles and you can arrage anyway you like. You can group stuff together that way, like I do.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
LOL, actually you just proved your incredibility. You can change the alert tones. If you need help figuring out how, I'm sure there's a tutorial on YouTube LOL.

Yes, there's 10 accent colors and 2 background themes. How many is there on iOS?

Custom hubs would be nice. But it's nothing anyone is missing. I'm not sure what you would want grouoped that you can't do now.. All games are categorized into the XBL hub. All vidoes/music and video/music apps are grouped into the Zune hub. And guess what, you have a Start screen where yo ucan pin an unlimited amount of tiles and you can arrage anyway you like. You can group stuff together that way, like I do.

I won't hack/crack/break/void my phone. If you want to do that with yours, go for it, but I shouldn't have to.

I don't know how many iOS has, I know android will let you use your own pictures for background wallpapers. And other things, too.

I have my start screen pinned full of tiles. I would like to group them together so that my start screen isn't a quarter of a mile long. I would like to have one tile called 'News' where all my news apps are, another one called 'Work' where all the apps I use for work are grouped, etc... That's what I mean by custom hubs. And guess what, they don't show that on YouTube.

Just one more thing, just because it's not something YOU would want, or something YOU would use, doesn't mean it's something NOBODY wants.

Last edited:

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I won't hack/crack/break/void my phone. If you want to do that with yours, go for it, but I shouldn't have to.

I don't know how many iOS has, I know android will let you use your own pictures for background wallpapers. And other things, too.

I have my start screen pinned full of tiles. I would like to group them together so that my start screen isn't a quarter of a mile long. I would like to have one tile called 'News' where all my news apps are, another one called 'Work' where all the apps I use for work are grouped, etc... That's what I mean by custom hubs. And guess what, they don't show that on YouTube.

Just one more thing, just because it's not something YOU would want, or something YOU would use, doesn't mean it's something NOBODY wants.

Dude, to change alert tones, go to settings, then hit Ringtones and Sounds. What are you talking about hacking your phone?

LCARS

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
3) Mango brings support for subscribing to and downloading podcasts without syncing with your computer. It will do it over your data connection (if the podcast isn't too large) or over WiFi.

1) Go into the Music+Videos hub.
2) Tap "Marketplace".
3) Tap "Podcasts".

From there you can search through all of the podcasts, subscribe, and download. You can also set up settings like "only download this on wifi".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss