How to- Update wp7 to Mango (for those who could not force it)

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello All
First and foremost, let me tell you that this post is an amalgamation of other posts (fellow user NINJAPP) & the official XDA forum. I thought of putting it all together so as to have all the information in a single place, which could be viewed by all. I would state that this process worked for me really well, and my device was on NODO.

Secondly, all the methods stated worked for me, and a few others, and although it seems a tough choice, since it could brick your phone, but at the same time if done properly, it could get you sooner to the update you have been waiting for all these days. Also, it allows you to make a backup of your phone, which you can always revert to.

I own a samsung Omnia 7, unlocked, which has a boot logo of T-Mobile Germany. I was waiting for the Mango update to become available to me, but it did not. I tried the force update method, which so many others got to work, almost 50 times, but to no avail.

And then I followed this method, and it worked like a charm. The trick is simple, try to install Mango RTM, and the update process in zune will directly take you to the official release.
LG Quantum users please read this article beforehand - Phone appears to hang on OEM boot screen when rebooting after the update to Mango (7661) - App Hub Forums

So this is how it works-
Caution: Do this at your own risk, no one is to blame if your update fails.

Prerequisites:

-Phone with Nodo (7392), Mango 7661 (Beta) or Mango 7712 (Developer Beta)
-Micro-USB cable
-PC with at least 20 GB of free disk space on C: (Only needed if you want to backup your device)
-external hard drive or USB flash drive with up to 16 GB of free space (for the backup)
-1.5 - 2 hours available to flash from start

Once sure, download the following Windows Phone 7 Mango Build 7720 RTM Update (7720.rar) Torrent - btjunkie using Utorrent or Vuze or any other torrent client. Don't worry, since its perfectly safe.

Follow these steps -
1. All contents must be extracted to a local disk, not a backup/external disk. I will recommend to put all contents of the extracted Mango folder directly to C:/ (If you got enough available space) such as
C:/NoDoToRC
C:/RCToRTM
C:/Zune

2. Install the zune beta client version 4.8.2134.0 (comes with the downloaded file). If you have the zune version 04.08.2345.00 installed from before (or any other version) I would recommend to uninstall that version. Also, disconnecting the internet while installing the zune beta client helps since then it doesnt search for updates.
DURING THE UPDATE PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PHONE LATER ON, ZUNE WILL GIVE YOU A NOTIFICATION TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE, THEN YOU CLICK YES, and all will be good.

3. Run the flashing tool "updatewp" from the folder "update tool" install right version for your system, 32 or 64-bit

4. Connect Device via USB to the PC

5. Close Zune software if it opens when connecting

6. Open the "NoDoToRC" folder and run the file "ISV_Provisioning_Live.exe" with admin rights (right click on the file..)

7. The tool will now create a backup of the phone. This takes quite some time, depending on how much you have installed on your device.

8. The phone will reboot and start communication with a "special" update server. If necessary, enter the PIN code if it is activated on your device

9. Please dont close the update tool until it say its finished.

10. In the directory "C: \ Users \ <user> \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows Mobile Update,"there should be the newly created backup folder with a cryptic name. Please feel free to copy the folder to a secure location (external hard disk, etc.) and keep safe!
NOTE - AppData is generally a hidden folder, and if you cant find it, then change the layout settings in your computer to view it.

URGENT! - MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR PHONE BACKUP AT A SAFE LOCATION, MULTIPLE LOCATIONS EVEN, IF THAT GIVES YOU THE GIGGLES:)

11. Now start the Zune client (with your phone connected) and it will begin looking for updates.

12. Build 7403 will now be found and installed.

13. Once updated, Zune will search for updates again and will directly take you to the 7720 update (official release), and skip the 7712 update.

14. It will also install the cleanup update which was released just before mango, so as to remove any traces of beta installations.

15. Once my phone updated to mango, it did not list the samsung firmware update as being available for me. But it worked for NINJAPP, and also for a friend of mine who tried this method. It could be because I have a samsung omnia 7 from t-mob germany, and samsung still has not pushed out the update for them.
Anyways, if you have a HTC or any other samsung device, and if zune tells you there is another update available for your phone, just click install.

PS- Phone is working fine and all features of mango are available to me, even without the firmware update, wich will in any case come to me sooner rather than later.

16. Enjoy the fruit. Its yummy as ****.:)

Currently my phone shows this -

Software: Windows Phone 7.5
OS version: 7.10.7720.68

Will post a screenshot later if anyone asks for it.

If it works for you, please leave a comment behind.
Cheers!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
At least you got the "cleaned up" Mango RTM already. You're right, I don't see anything different from the official Mango and RTM. So it's just a matter of time before you get the Samsung Update (or carrier update).

jack1129

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone please confirm this method on LG Optimus 7 (E900h)? @Desdemona: do you know if this method will work on other windows phones?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone please confirm this method on LG Optimus 7 (E900h)? @Desdemona: do you know if this method will work on other windows phones?

I suggest you got through the XDA ( where the above method is partly derived from ) thread to see if any Optimus users have successfully updated to Mango Beta at the very least. If they have then you are good to go. Once you get Beta or RTM, then you should get the "cleanup" update and hopefully/eventually the carrier/manufacturer update.

litldrmrby02

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Thanks for this post, now i have my phone running on mango. |I got nervous though because updated to 7403 twice, but tried it again and went through installation completion up to 7720 and up to the cleaning part. Big help.

Thanks again

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

its not creating a backup for me. is there a way I can bypass the backup and install the updates?

Do you have Windows Phone Update Tool installed or another type of tool that is used to create Windows Phone back up by another program? If you do, you need to uninstall it from your PC, because it is interefering with the process.

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this post, now i have my phone running on mango. |I got nervous though because updated to 7403 twice, but tried it again and went through installation completion up to 7720 and up to the cleaning part. Big help.

Thanks again

You are welcome mate. Nothing better than this right now. Loving all the new features!

jack1129

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Windows Phone Update Tool installed or another type of tool that is used to create Windows Phone back up by another program? If you do, you need to uninstall it from your PC, because it is interefering with the process.

No I just have Zune and Windows Phone Engineering Flashing Tool installed. Please help. I have trying a lot to get mango.. :( :(

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No I just have Zune and Windows Phone Engineering Flashing Tool installed. Please help. I have trying a lot to get mango.. :( :(

Maybe the flashing tool is interfering? All instances of Zune and anything connecting to the phone must be shutoff or uninstalled so the above tool can work properly.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
But don't I need the Flashing tool and Zune as it says in the procedure?

Ah, you're talking about the "updatewp". Sorry. There has to be something blocking the flashing tool. Check under control panel/uninstall program and see if there are any suspect. Also check task manager to see if there are any Zune process running.

jack1129

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah, you're talking about the "updatewp". Sorry. There has to be something blocking the flashing tool. Check under control panel/uninstall program and see if there are any suspect. Also check task manager to see if there are any Zune process running.

It started backing up now.. i reinstalled updatewp.exe and closed zune processes and connected it to different port... lets see how it goes :)

jack1129

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Failed with code: 80180048

jack1129

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well thats a bummer, what phone are you using? Did the backup got hrough without any hitch? Try running the flashing tool using Administrator rights.
Optimus 7. Yea backup goes without any problem. this is what happens:
Creating a backup: 100%
Creating a backup: Completed in 83.49 seconds

Installing updates..
Installing updates: Completed in 18.04 seconds

Checking your phone's status.
Checking your phone's status: Completed in 0.01 seconds

Restarting your phone..
Restarting your phone: Completed in 39.39 seconds

Completing updates..
Completing updates: Completed in 1.56 seconds

Error:

Update device 8827c935 - feb28565 - d642de75 - 69444e7f Complete with error code: 80180048, error message: IU (Image Update) installation failed due to an error.

Failed with code: 80180048

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb