I want to immerse myself in Windows Live Services and see if I could go Googless.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm more productive in Live services, but I attribute that to the fact that, prior to Windows Phone, I lived in Live, so using a windows phone was natural. The only real google service I used was gmail.

If I was fully into Google, I'd have stayed with my Android.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I can't see the point of ever going entirely one way for the sake of it (not that I could - I frequently use google search for work and bing simply isn't as good at getting the right results).

That's not true. In fact, why don't you find out for yourself? Blind Search

Be honest with your results.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I agree that there's simply no reason to try to go full-bore, even though I am mostly in Live services myself.

It's a good idea to use the services that are integrated into the OS you use, but I wouldn't go transferring everything over unless you really think it will be an advantage to you.

Why not? That's what I did when I started using android. Its very easy to transfer contacts from Yahoo to Gmail and forward emails. And I did the same thing when I switched from Android to WP7. I do the same on my PC. I use Bing when I use IE and I use Google when I use Chrome. I don't see anything wrong with using the default as long as im getting the results I want.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I switch back and forth quite easily. I think both gmail and chrome are better than hotmail and IE, but not by much. Search is a draw for me, same with maps. Google reader is unbeatable and iGoogle customization too. Windows phone kicks Android's ***!

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do a full switch but couldn't do it. I prefer the look of google services. I prefer the features. Live services aren't bad but I just feel more productive in the google universe.

Ditto. Like others, I use a mishmash of the two.

I use Google for e-mail and calendar. They are just simply better and more reliable, IMHO.

But I use Windows Live for the To-Do List (cuz it syncs with the mango to-do's, which is awesome) and for SkyDrive.

On top of that, I use a MacBook Pro.

So I'm a pretty good mish-masher. :p

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Bing maps since it is integrated into the OS, however they in no way compare to Google maps. Google is far, and I mean FAR more up to date when it comes to businesses. Also, Google is more accurate with road changes, as in on-ramps that have been closed for 2 years still showing up in Bing. There really is no comparing the two.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have always used MS services exclusively. Coming from a WinMo background I had everything set from the beginning. What was fun was when I had a Android device and trying to use MS exclusively Google doesn't like that and they do there best to make sure you have to use Google to be productive.

staindgrey

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Live features are pretty neat, but there's nothing wrong with using both.

I use Office and OneNote for school, while my brother uses GoogleDocs so he and his friends can peer edit their stuff in real time. No reason we can't use both.

Plus, no matter how much I try to switch to Hotmail, I'm just way too attached to my Gmail. It's just... cleaner.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have always used MS services exclusively. Coming from a WinMo background I had everything set from the beginning. What was fun was when I had a Android device and trying to use MS exclusively Google doesn't like that and they do there best to make sure you have to use Google to be productive.

I started out using windows live calendar, etc, and preferred it to Google. I stopped because it didn't work well with PalmOS, webOS, Maemo or Android. I think its MS that doesn't make it easy to use other devices, not Google, although this attitude seems to be changing.

staindgrey

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I started out using windows live calendar, etc, and preferred it to Google. I stopped because it didn't work well with PalmOS, webOS, Maemo or Android. I think its MS that doesn't make it easy to use other devices, not Google, although this attitude seems to be changing.

Agreed. It's actually quite easy to use my Google stuff on my WP7, but it wasn't so much when I tried using my MS stuff on my Android. Google tends to just put their stuff on everything and hope to win out by comparison. Customers like that approach; makes them seem like the much more friendly company.

After all, their motto is "don't be evil".

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I switch back and forth quite easily. I think both gmail and chrome are better than hotmail and IE, but not by much. Search is a draw for me, same with maps. Google reader is unbeatable and iGoogle customization too. Windows phone kicks Android's ***!

Gmail and chrome better than hotmail and IE? I don't think so,hotmail is always adding improvements and Gmail still has yet to introduce a built in SkyDrive solution (even gDocs is lacking). Gmail also doesn't have things like active view where if someone emails u a link to a YouTube video u can watch it without ever leaving the inbox. and as for chrome being better than IE9, just no. it always crashes on me and doesn't run the sites I goto as well as IE does,not to mention that it uses more RAM than IE.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Bing maps isn't nearly as useful as Google maps. The main weakness for me is that the font used for street names is too large, resulting in only a few streets having name labels at a zoom level where Google maps would show them all.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem using both services. I am still happy with my Terrific Trophy.:)But
as I mentioned in another post, my only problem with Windows live is SkyDrive. I had photos saved on there, and when I compared them to Flikr and even Picasa 3. IMHO the quality and size just wasn't as good.

Last edited:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Bing maps isn't nearly as useful as Google maps. The main weakness for me is that the font used for street names is too large, resulting in only a few streets having name labels at a zoom level where Google maps would show them all.

complaining over font sizes now? jaja u sir are such a winner today.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Gmail and chrome better than hotmail and IE? I don't think so,hotmail is always adding improvements and Gmail still has yet to introduce a built in SkyDrive solution (even gDocs is lacking). Gmail also doesn't have things like active view where if someone emails u a link to a YouTube video u can watch it without ever leaving the inbox. and as for chrome being better than IE9, just no. it always crashes on me and doesn't run the sites I goto as well as IE does,not to mention that it uses more RAM than IE.

Just my experience, friend. I'm comfortable with both. I'll look for some of the email stuff you pointed out.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Agreed. It's actually quite easy to use my Google stuff on my WP7, but it wasn't so much when I tried using my MS stuff on my Android. Google tends to just put their stuff on everything and hope to win out by comparison. Customers like that approach; makes them seem like the much more friendly company.

After all, their motto is "don't be evil".
There are no official Google apps on WP afaik, but there's at least an official MS Bing app on both iOS and Android. Independent developers are the ones bringing some Google services to WP7 and, even then, I'm sure there are some limitations.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Some android phones even have Bing as the default search engine. That seems odd on a google phone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
There are no official Google apps on WP afaik, but there's at least an official MS Bing app on both iOS and Android. Independent developers are the ones bringing some Google services to WP7 and, even then, I'm sure there are some limitations.

The only Google app on WP7 is Google Search. Google has about 15 apps on the iOS App Store.

I do get the feeling that Google Intentionally short changes the Windows Phone 7 Platform. Who can blame them really, now that Microsoft gets royalties on Android sales.

As far as going all Microsoft products or using Google products, I say to each their own. It will be interesting to hear the OP's final thoughts after a month. My current live account is tied to my gmail account. Can anyone tell me if live e-mail accounts allow plus addressing or . addressing?

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Not just Androids. I read an article awhile back on Phonescoop, that Blackberry devices will have Bing as their default search engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05