So...since Sprint will most def have to give up Unlimited Data....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what the speeds are like on T-Mobile after they throttle your data because I will most def always hit the 2GB cap. The way I see it, there are only two things keeping me on Sprint:

1. Unlimited Data
2. An Airave (sp) free of a monthly charge

However, I know unlimited will be gone soon thanks to the iPhone. The Airave will be pointless to me by then. So are T-Mobile's throttled speeds comparable to Sprint's 3G speeds?

Moreover, how is their overall coverage? I live in Avon, IN and travel quite a bit and didn't want a phone that I could never use (Sprint is fine on the highways and usually in cities, but in buildings with thick walls and apartments it's worthless).

I get a discount with AT&T (7%) but even still they have a data CAP at 2GB (ridiculous) so that's definitely out of the question (unless they're nice enough to let me take unlimited with me from Sprint, which I know will never happen)....

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
What makes you think they'll cap anything? They're currently running ads talking about how their data service has no cap so I don't see them going back on that any time soon.

Besides, your average iPhone user is an idiot and doesn't know how to even use 2GB of data.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what the speeds are like on T-Mobile after they throttle your data because I will most def always hit the 2GB cap. The way I see it, there are only two things keeping me on Sprint:

1. Unlimited Data
2. An Airave (sp) free of a monthly charge

However, I know unlimited will be gone soon thanks to the iPhone. The Airave will be pointless to me by then. So are T-Mobile's throttled speeds comparable to Sprint's 3G speeds?

Moreover, how is their overall coverage? I live in Avon, IN and travel quite a bit and didn't want a phone that I could never use (Sprint is fine on the highways and usually in cities, but in buildings with thick walls and apartments it's worthless).

I get a discount with AT&T (7%) but even still they have a data CAP at 2GB (ridiculous) so that's definitely out of the question (unless they're nice enough to let me take unlimited with me from Sprint, which I know will never happen)....

just an fyi. The att 2 gb isn't a cap. They just charge you an additional $10 a month per GB.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I will have to wait it out, but everyone knows the iPhone always kills unlimited data on any network it joins due to so many people buying one and creaming the network.

Even with my 7% discount from work, I still believe AT&T will be way too expensive compared to what i have right now at Sprint (only pay like 72-74 bucks a month total for 450, free Airave, good customer service, etc). I really didn't want to go to TMobile because i haven't seen anything prooving they have improved their coverage. I also like that you can talk and still use Internet.

I hope everyone here is right when they say Sprint realizes their unlimited data is all they have going for them because a lot of people think they will get rid of it....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I will have to wait it out, but everyone knows the iPhone always kills unlimited data on any network it joins due to so many people buying one and creaming the network.

Even with my 7% discount from work, I still believe AT&T will be way too expensive compared to what i have right now at Sprint (only pay like 72-74 bucks a month total for 450, free Airave, good customer service, etc). I really didn't want to go to TMobile because i haven't seen anything prooving they have improved their coverage. I also like that you can talk and still use Internet.

I hope everyone here is right when they say Sprint realizes their unlimited data is all they have going for them because a lot of people think they will get rid of it....

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd say I hope they don't but even with normal usage I don't get over 1GB of data a month, I'm always on wifi.

I'm pretty sure the caps have just been coincidence. I remember from the android forums a guy talking about a couple 12-20GB months where Verizon cancelled his contract because of overuse of data from downloading a bunch of movies via torrent.

AT&T kinda has to do it too. Their network is used A LOT for data. The SIM card nature of their network makes it convenient to have 5 different devices that use data and just switch between them.

Reactions: ikkf

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Unless Sprint invests in another WP by my next upgrade, them capping data is moot because unlimited data is not worth having to go to Android or iPhone for me.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure the VZW iPhone didn't sell like hotcakes as many people were thinking after hearing all the "I don't like/want AT&T." So, I think VZW getting rid of unlimited was more just them being greedier than any impact of the iPhone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope Sprint gets something new, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been playing with my old Nexus S, and it's so hard not to go back because that hardware is sexy. If only there were a way to get WP7 running on the Nexus S....=(

That, and along with the Nexus Prime coming, it's getting harder to stick with WP7 (even though I love the platform). I know it's up to the carriers, but sometimes it seems like Microsoft doesn't try hard enough when it comes to getting new hardware to people. I just don't see a Nokia device being on Sprint because....well....I don't ever remember seeing a Nokia device made for Sprint.

Just the fact that Sprint is so in love with Android (and probably more...the iPhone now that they've invested like ALL their money into it) and not caring about Windows Phone is enough to make me want to leave them and give AT&T or T-Mobile a try if they get a Nokia device because, IMHO, HTC is still going to put out crappy hardware with SLIGHT spec bumps (a FFC and a 500MHZ bump to the processor with a sucky camera....just like how they do Android). I know Windows Phone doesn't NEED dual core and all that (probably the primary reason I love Windows Phone platform) but it's nice knowing that the power is THERE and that if they wanted to do something to tap into that strength that it's there.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just so frustrating. Why can't Microsoft take advantage of peoples' slight interest in Windows Phone and FREAKING PROMOTE THE STUPID THING....they just don't care and know the platform is dying.....

Last edited:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
HTC is still going to put out crappy hardware with SLIGHT spec bumps (a FFC and a 500MHZ bump to the processor with a sucky camera....just like how they do Android). I know Windows Phone doesn't NEED dual core and all that (probably the primary reason I love Windows Phone platform) but it's nice knowing that the power is THERE and that if they wanted to do something to tap into that strength that it's there.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just so frustrating. Why can't Microsoft take advantage of peoples' slight interest in Windows Phone and FREAKING PROMOTE THE STUPID THING....they just don't care and know the platform is dying.....

HTC with crappy hardware? do u even know what ur talking about? the build quality is solid my arrive fell face down a few times from my bed and isn't even scratched and the phone works well. no major hardware problems in even my tp2. HTC is ranked only below apple in customer satisfaction while Samsung is rather below the industry standard. specs do not matter in wp7 and probably won't even when wp8 comes out, notice that the requirements for windows 8 didn't change much from windows vista (1GB RAM,1GHZ processor etc). wp is far from dying especially since they just announced the companion app for Xbox.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
HTC with crappy hardware? do u even know what ur talking about? the build quality is solid my arrive fell face down a few times from my bed and isn't even scratched and the phone works well. no major hardware problems in even my tp2. HTC is ranked only below apple in customer satisfaction while Samsung is rather below the industry standard. specs do not matter in wp7 and probably won't even when wp8 comes out, notice that the requirements for windows 8 didn't change much from windows vista (1GB RAM,1GHZ processor etc). wp is far from dying especially since they just announced the companion app for Xbox.

I guess I didn't mean crappy....I meant like nothing special, innovative, or new. The hardware we have now is like on the same level as a Nexus One from like 2 years ago, or an EVO. I know the screen thing is to gain more developers due to simplicity, but I want something that has more PPI and more visible in sunlight.

When I say dying, I guess I meant that Windows Phone won't make a dent into Android or iOS because people are already set in what they know and dont' want to go through hoops and ladders to learn a new OS (although Windows Phone is simple); this is especially true for people who know a LITTLE about smart phones (enough to operate) but don't know like specific specs and stuff (processor speeds and other internal specs).

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just thank goodness I have unlimited with ATT still. They tried to take it away when I upgrade my phone but I made them give it back. I told them not to change my plan and they said they wouldn't, then I got a text two days later saying I need to sign up for a data plan and of course the options were not unlimited. I was like oh **** no! I think they were just trying to be sneaky and screw me out of it. I have no intentions of going else where or letting them take that from me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa