Gizmodo agrees with WP7 fans.....

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
LOL, Might be a plot MS and Apple have against Android. Two main PC OS's and two main Phone OS's.

I have been saying that since all the patent lawsuits began. I honestly think they are secretly in bed together against android. They've had some type of mutual understanding ever since MS bailed out Apple. Not so with android. They are out to eliminate them.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
They don't need to do anything. just keep their own OSs tight and non-fragmented, and let Android do it's 'winmo6' thing. Google sees the fragmentation and they're trying to fix it with Ice Cream Sandwich or whatever the **** they're calling the next release, but carriers really have no incentive to help out.

The Mango rollout was, for the most part, as good as you can do with multiple carriers and multiple phones. and obviously Apple controls their entire infrastructure and can roll out pretty much as they want.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Neither Apple or MS likes Google very much. Apple thinks Google ripped the Android idea from them while *I forgot that guys name* worked for Apple during the initial phase of the iPhone development. And we all know MS and Google have always been rivals.

I think something is going on behind the scene between Apple and MS.
I have been saying that since all the patent lawsuits began. I honestly think they are secretly in bed together against android. They've had some type of mutual understanding ever since MS bailed out Apple. Not so with android. They are out to eliminate them.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No one can avoid fragmentation. No one. Unless MS sends someone out to everyone who owns an WP7 device and force them to upgrade, it's going to happen to MS too. It's happened to Apple.

My brother owns an HD7, and I told him about the Mango upgrade, and he said no thanks, it already does everything he wants it to do. *shrugs*

It's just natural progression. Out with the old, in with the new. It's just more prevalent with Android because they release new phone every two days it seems.
They don't need to do anything. just keep their own OSs tight and non-fragmented, and let Android do it's 'winmo6' thing. Google sees the fragmentation and they're trying to fix it with Ice Cream Sandwich or whatever the **** they're calling the next release, but carriers really have no incentive to help out.

The Mango rollout was, for the most part, as good as you can do with multiple carriers and multiple phones. and obviously Apple controls their entire infrastructure and can roll out pretty much as they want.
Never seen what the big whoop was about fragmentation.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting article. I take some of it with a pinch of salt as the author is well known for having issues with Apple, but I also think there's more to be gained from Android sales than iOS sales. Android still has no real presence in tablets other than also-rans. iOS has the iPhone, the iPod Touch and the iPad, and MS have a real opportunity if they get Windows 8 right. And even if the iPhone 4S didn't meet the (unreasonable) expectations of some tech writers, it still has a great user experience and great software. Infinity Blade 2 will sell hardware, as will wireless screen mirroring (got an Apple tv? Then you now have another games console - only the games cost as little as 99p on this one).

And fragmentation matters because it makes a difference who you can sell what to. The less fragmented your market, the more potential customers you have for just one version of your software. It's not so much a selling point for end users as devs.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh fragmentation matters a lot. I used to mod an OEM forum, and "where is my update" or something to that effect, is always the longest running. It matters a whole lot more to Android users than it does to us. But they won't admit that. I had to do a lot of editing and deleting. They attack mods, forum managers, and each other. Barbarians I tell yah!

Woda

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
No one can avoid fragmentation. No one. Unless MS sends someone out to everyone who owns an WP7 device and force them to upgrade, it's going to happen to MS too. It's happened to Apple.

My brother owns an HD7, and I told him about the Mango upgrade, and he said no thanks, it already does everything he wants it to do. *shrugs*

It's just natural progression. Out with the old, in with the new. It's just more prevalent with Android because they release new phone every two days it seems.

Never seen what the big whoop was about fragmentation.

fragmentation is horrible. If you go to the android market on 10 different phones, almost every time the app count/selection is different. That's a pure nightmare for developers. Just look at it from a support standpoint. There are several different exchange syncs in android. When one of my users gets a phone, I can not lead them through setting up an exchange sync unless I can see the phone, because they literally are all different. Droid is one way, newer droid another. Do the same thing on an Eco and it gets an error. Etc etc. Fragmentation is how you kill the is long term.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think (could be wrong) fragmentation is un avoidable. MS. Just changed their policy where devs can update their nodo and mango apps. Eventually it will be mango and apollo apps. It just seems unavoidable.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I liked this article.

I"ll say it 1000 times, Windows Phone is truly the typical consumers better choice...but Android has been steamrolled into popularity. I think the tides are starting to turn on Android, and there's been a bit of blow back.

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
It's Gizmodo, you can safely disregard everything they say as BS. Even if this article have some good points you can bet your *** on that they're only writing it to upset Apple fans.

That's how the gawker network works, write articles that upset as many people as possible to gain traffic.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we're trying to compare two different forms of fragmentation.

There is forced fragmentation where the hardware manufacturer or carrier or whoever has decided to stop updating the software. This has happened and will continue happening in mass with Android because of a loss in interest with a phone in as little as a year after it has been released. These customers see new apps or whatever and can't get them because they can't upgrade. It's understandable when hardware just no longer works for the new OS, but if a phone CAN be updated, it should be. My Moment could run the latest Android, but nobody is interested in updating it anymore.

Then you have voluntary fragmentation from people that have the phone, like the phone, and don't really need an update because it does what they want. These people won't usually care about the latest and greatest apps and if they want the app they can choose to upgrade or choose to live without it. Usually, these are happy customers either way. Heck, if I'da never come to these forums I would still be happily running Nodo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05