Now Let?s Get Some APPS To Windows Phone!!!

cookiemonster21x

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so we all know Windows Phone is awesome, has plenty of apps, a fast growing marketplace, a robust developer community, and a super enthusiastic user community (that?s us!).

BUT, with that said, we also all know there are some (many?) apps lacking from our beloved platform? And that really shouldn?t a surprise given current market share stats. So what do we do to get the content we want on our phones?

(1) We can wait for Nokia to come on board, MSFT to actually start marketing, or whatever else will happen between now and 2015 (or whenever it is believed WP will come to hold a substantial share of the market). By then all the big and small players should be seriously developing for WP7 (WP8? 9?), and we?ll have all the content we could ever want and then some.

(2) We can, as individuals, keep trying to pester companies, big & small, to bring apps/content to WP and hope they listen and decide to do so eventually? Some likely will (eventually), while other?s will remain undaunted in their pursuit of reaching the millions more iPhone and Android users.

(3) Or (and here?s the point), we can collectively work to press companies/developers to bring content to our platform! The idea here is to post apps you would like to see brought to the platform, provide a link to some way others can join you in voicing their desire for said apps, and to take some time in voicing support for others? posts. This will show developers there is demand and a potential profitable opportunity for them should they develop for WP7?

To clarify, I?ll kick it off with a post below as an example. But as a basic template for the thread:
  1. List the apps you want to see come to WP7 (provide explanation if necessary).
  2. For each listed app, find a way to contact the company/developer (email address, website contact form, blog post, facebook page, twitter, forum, etc?) and provide a link for the rest of us to join in advocating for the app.

And, just to keep things orderly, make sure you check out previous posts so there are no duplicates. Also, to keep the list clean and easy to navigate, please limit posts in this thread to just requests as outlined above. And, help others out with their requests too!!

One final thing (and this should go without saying), when contacting companies/developers with requests, please be nice. Let?s not make this about bashing other platforms. Rather, focus on why you would like to see something come to WP7 and provide rational arguments and stats to help incentivize the developers?

Thanks!

cookiemonster21x

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Apps I Want To See Come To WP7?

1. LinkedIn

Yes, we already have integrated LinkedIn via the People Hub, but it does not provide the full experience a full official app would. Also, LinkedIn currently has apps for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Palm (yes, Palm!?), so I feel it?s quite a hit to the platform that such an app is lacking?

Contact Form: https://help.linkedin.com/app/ask (you may need to be logged-in/have an account to access)

2. Quora

For those who don?t know, Quora is an awesome ?crowdsourcing? type of question-and-answer site. The company is pretty unfriendly towards MSFT in general (it doesn?t even officially support IE, and so the mobile HTML5 site is even buggy on WP7), so I wouldn?t hold my breath on this coming anytime soon, but it?s really cool, and would be a great addition to the marketplace?

Contact Email: feedback@quora.com

Quora Question: http://www.quora.com/When-will-Quora-come-to-WP7 (if you?re already on Quora you can forward or add-on to this existing request; for bonus points use the ?Ask to Answer? feature to forward the request to Quora employees, listed here: http://www.quora.com/about/team, and be sure to ?Follow? the question as well)

3. VentureBeat

Great site for all things innovation, technology (including WP7), venture capital, and more... Just launched an iPhone app and looking for feedback & suggestions of where to go next. Now?s a great time to draw attention to developing for WP7?

Contact Email: business@venturebeat.com

Comment on Blog Post: http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/05/venturebeat-iphone-app/ (you can see my comment already there)

4. Business Insider
Great site for all things business, tech, and media related. There are a few unofficial ones in the marketplace now, but I?ve tried them all and they?re honestly pretty bad (just basic RSS feeds). They talk a lot about WP7, but still no app despite ones for iPhone, BB, and Android?

Contact Email: fixes@businessinsider.com

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/thebusinessinsider

Twitter Page: http://twitter.com/#!/businessinsider

5. All Things Digital

Pretty well-known site, the name explains it all. It?s basically the official tech blog of the Wall Street Journal. Currently only has an iPhone app, hopefully we can convince them to develop for Windows Phone next?

Contact Email: feedback@allthingsd.com (general)

Contact Email: mossberg.mailbox@allthingsd.com (chief editor)

7. Life + Times [bonus]

Hip-Hop fans should be familiar with this site, it?s a music & lifestyle blog started by Jay-Z. It?s pretty recent and currently has no apps for any platform. Main reason I?d like to see this come to WP7 is because the site has a beautiful very METRO design to it that I feel would fit in so well with WP. Also, Life + Times has Bing everywhere (seems to be a deal between MSFT & Mr. Roeckefeller himself), and that relationship could be levered into getting a cool exclusive app?

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/OfficialLifeandTimes

Twitter Page: http://twitter.com/#!/lifeandtimes

8. Noisey [bonus]

Another cool recent up-start site for music lovers is Noisey. Since I have a hard time describing it myself its ?a video-driven music discovery platform, documenting the most talented emerging musicians from around the world. Curated by VICE, the site showcases bands and music scenes from over 10 countries.? Anyways, it?s quite cool, and as its all flash-based, in-need of an app?

Contact Email: feedback@noisey.com

Feedback on Site: http://www.noisey.com/ (there is a ?feedback? link in the ribbon at the bottom of the page)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft actually has a team that goes out and markets the main app makers to port to Windows Phone, that's why they have 90% of the most popular apps on the market already on Windows Phone.

Great idea for users to email their favorite app devs and ask for ports. nice job on the links, cookie.

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Mobile NFL site
This site is very limited to Windows Phone users. To ask this site for more than nfl news and scores is pushing its limit. They have an app for android and on other platforms fantasy teams, stats, news, players, scores, schedule, etc. are fully accessible (personally tested blackberry, iphone, palm pre). So I don't think it will be a stretch to get a better site for us too or even better suggest an app. Side note how cool would it be to have a nfl app that lets you manage your fantasy team and give you live tiles updates.

This is their mobile feedback site: Feedback | NFL.com

Have at'em.

BTW great thread idea.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hulu- Hulu - Support (I can just imagine how this would look on WP7--nothing short of amazing)

HBO Go- *can't find a link*

1. LinkedIn

Yes, we already have integrated LinkedIn via the People Hub, but it does not provide the full experience a full official app would. Also, LinkedIn currently has apps for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Palm (yes, Palm!?), so I feel it?s quite a hit to the platform that such an app is lacking?

Contact Form: https://help.linkedin.com/app/ask (you may need to be logged-in/have an account to access)

2. Quora

For those who don?t know, Quora is an awesome ?crowdsourcing? type of question-and-answer site. The company is pretty unfriendly towards MSFT in general (it doesn?t even officially support IE, and so the mobile HTML5 site is even buggy on WP7), so I wouldn?t hold my breath on this coming anytime soon, but it?s really cool, and would be a great addition to the marketplace?

Contact Email: feedback@quora.com

Quora Question: When will Quora come to WP7? - Quora (if you?re already on Quora you can forward or add-on to this existing request; for bonus points use the ?Ask to Answer? feature to forward the request to Quora employees, listed here: Quora, and be sure to ?Follow? the question as well)

3. VentureBeat

Great site for all things innovation, technology (including WP7), venture capital, and more... Just launched an iPhone app and looking for feedback & suggestions of where to go next. Now?s a great time to draw attention to developing for WP7?

Contact Email: business@venturebeat.com

Comment on Blog Post: Check out VentureBeat’s new iPhone app — and more will come soon | VentureBeat (you can see my comment already there)

4. Business Insider
Great site for all things business, tech, and media related. There are a few unofficial ones in the marketplace now, but I?ve tried them all and they?re honestly pretty bad (just basic RSS feeds). They talk a lot about WP7, but still no app despite ones for iPhone, BB, and Android?

Contact Email: fixes@businessinsider.com

Facebook Page: The Business Insider | Facebook

Twitter Page: Twitter

5. All Things Digital

Pretty well-known site, the name explains it all. It?s basically the official tech blog of the Wall Street Journal. Currently only has an iPhone app, hopefully we can convince them to develop for Windows Phone next?

Contact Email: feedback@allthingsd.com (general)

Contact Email: mossberg.mailbox@allthingsd.com (chief editor)

7. Life + Times [bonus]

Hip-Hop fans should be familiar with this site, it?s a music & lifestyle blog started by Jay-Z. It?s pretty recent and currently has no apps for any platform. Main reason I?d like to see this come to WP7 is because the site has a beautiful very METRO design to it that I feel would fit in so well with WP. Also, Life + Times has Bing everywhere (seems to be a deal between MSFT & Mr. Roeckefeller himself), and that relationship could be levered into getting a cool exclusive app?

Facebook Page: Life + Times | Facebook

Twitter Page: Twitter

8. Noisey [bonus]

Another cool recent up-start site for music lovers is Noisey. Since I have a hard time describing it myself its ?a video-driven music discovery platform, documenting the most talented emerging musicians from around the world. Curated by VICE, the site showcases bands and music scenes from over 10 countries.? Anyways, it?s quite cool, and as its all flash-based, in-need of an app?

Contact Email: feedback@noisey.com

Feedback on Site: NOISEY (there is a ?feedback? link in the ribbon at the bottom of the page)

great idea cookiemonster and a good start on suggestions. If we can get grass roots user support shown to the companies we can make microsofts marketing efforts more powerful and broad based as we show support for them getting in our expanding"ecosystem. Proactive Synergy!!!

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so we all know Windows Phone is awesome, has plenty of apps, a fast growing marketplace, a robust developer community, and a super enthusiastic user community (that?s us!).

BUT, with that said, we also all know there are some (many?) apps lacking from our beloved platform? And that really shouldn?t a surprise given current market share stats. So what do we do to get the content we want on our phones?

(1) We can wait for Nokia to come on board, MSFT to actually start marketing, or whatever else will happen between now and 2015 (or whenever it is believed WP will come to hold a substantial share of the market). By then all the big and small players should be seriously developing for WP7 (WP8? 9?), and we?ll have all the content we could ever want and then some.

(2) We can, as individuals, keep trying to pester companies, big & small, to bring apps/content to WP and hope they listen and decide to do so eventually? Some likely will (eventually), while other?s will remain undaunted in their pursuit of reaching the millions more iPhone and Android users.

(3) Or (and here?s the point), we can collectively work to press companies/developers to bring content to our platform! The idea here is to post apps you would like to see brought to the platform, provide a link to some way others can join you in voicing their desire for said apps, and to take some time in voicing support for others? posts. This will show developers there is demand and a potential profitable opportunity for them should they develop for WP7?

To clarify, I?ll kick it off with a post below as an example. But as a basic template for the thread:
  1. List the apps you want to see come to WP7 (provide explanation if necessary).
  2. For each listed app, find a way to contact the company/developer (email address, website contact form, blog post, facebook page, twitter, forum, etc?) and provide a link for the rest of us to join in advocating for the app.

And, just to keep things orderly, make sure you check out previous posts so there are no duplicates. Also, to keep the list clean and easy to navigate, please limit posts in this thread to just requests as outlined above. And, help others out with their requests too!!

One final thing (and this should go without saying), when contacting companies/developers with requests, please be nice. Let?s not make this about bashing other platforms. Rather, focus on why you would like to see something come to WP7 and provide rational arguments and stats to help incentivize the developers?

Thanks!

This would actually make a really good app, so that you could surf the app on your phone for apps you wish you had, and right from there, contact the devs (tap the name to open outlook) and bam.

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Worldmate Live - this is the best travel app available by far. I've contacted the company and they said they have no plans for WP7.

SPB Wallet - this is the best wallet app. Sky Wallet is OK, but the problem with it is that it isn't secure enough. You can hit the back button and Sky Wallet opens where you left it. You should have to key in your password every time the screens shuts off or you leave the program.

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
sirius app, pandora, google+, hbogo, skype (should be coming. ms buying them and all), and last but not least, real turn by turn on bing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss