FB, WLM texting uses data?

tdavi82

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I am keeping my att data plan to the 200mb plan. I connect to the wifi areas i go to and manually sync my mail. With Mango, we can use Facebook chat within text messaging which requires you to be (Available). My question is: Does "texting" using facebook use data (consume from my 200MB limit) or does it go through as a sms/mms? If it does use data, will it be a significant amount? e.g. 2-5mb a month or 20-100MB a month?
-obviously the amount of chatting I do determines my usage but I dont want to send 5 messages and they cost 1MB a piece or something ridiculous like that.

Thanks

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Facebook and WLM chat's use your data plan. Just like anyother IM program will. So you can chat away without a messaging plan, you just wont have sms or mms capability.

One character is 1byte of data, and one MB is 1024 bytes (or characters). So you will get 204,800 characters, or 1,280 full 160 character "text messages" worth of data on a 200MB plan. Assuming you use no other data (but you will be). WiFi of coarse will be free of your plan altogether.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
200MB of data is very bad on a smartphone plan gotta have at least 5GB

Most people on smartphones tend to use around 1GB. It depends on the person. I wouldn't recommend the 200MB plan unless thats all you can afford. Try for the 2GB (I think it is?). Not many people use 5GB unless they are doing a bunch of tethering or never using wifi. I use my phone a LOT and typically use 2GB or so.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The FB chat is a benefit for those that don't want to pay for unlimited SMS...if you have a big SMS plan, don't use it in order to save your data...if you don't have a big SMS plan...upping your data plan to allow a ton of FB "texts" is cheaper then upping your SMS plan.

200MB of data is very bad on a smartphone plan gotta have at least 5GB

Most people on smartphones tend to use around 1GB. It depends on the person.

Agreed...multiple carriers have put it to numbers, and I believe the latest was 75% use 200MB or less, and 98% use 2GB or less. 5GB is completely overkill...you would have to constantly be streaming music/movies to get there...daily usage for a person pretty attached to their phone while being on WiFi at home should get you to about 500MB. Throw in a lot of YouTube Cat videos and you can reach the 1GB...

200MB is fine for most.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
200MB is fine for most.

While 200 MB may be enough for some people I believe smart phone users will find it to not be enough. I think your numbers may have been for all users not smart phone users. According to Nielson Average U.S. Smartphone Data Usage Up 89% as Cost per MB Goes Down 46% | Nielsen Wire the average smart phone user is up to around 500 MB per month and that number is going up.

One other thing to keep in mind with a 200 MB plan is that the penalty for going over often makes it a better deal to simply get 2 GB up front. If you're average you'll go over the 200 MB.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Depends how you use your phone. In the UK data plans tend to be a bit more generous but I can easily go for months without going over 200 Mb because I'm mainly on home wi-fi.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Some people have used 16GB and 40GB on their WP7. (2 highest peaks so far)

Not mentioning any names of course but he's not too far away and is constantly streaming last FM and Zune. ;)

Oh and panic ye not, they are on 3's unlimited data plan. (Hooray for unlimited data!) :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
While 200 MB may be enough for some people I believe smart phone users will find it to not be enough. I think your numbers may have been for all users not smart phone users. According to Nielson Average U.S. Smartphone Data Usage Up 89% as Cost per MB Goes Down 46% | Nielsen Wire the average smart phone user is up to around 500 MB per month and that number is going up.

One other thing to keep in mind with a 200 MB plan is that the penalty for going over often makes it a better deal to simply get 2 GB up front. If you're average you'll go over the 200 MB.

It is impossible to read that graph for precise numbers...but I can tell you know stats can be skewed to show whatever you want and there is a BIG difference between AVERAGE and MEDIAN...

Look where the 50th percentile puts you...it looks to be until about 2/5ths of the way to the 500MB line...meaning 50% of all people use about 200 or less...thus, the majority of people are just fine saving $10 a month keeping with 200GB.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
BIG difference between AVERAGE and MEDIAN...

Yes I know there is a big difference and I believe your orginal numbers were also averages. So to keep apples to apples comparison your averages appear to be out of date and that at best only 50% are under 200 MB not 75%.

Even you said a pretty attached person with WiFi would get to around 500MB meaning that person would go over the 200 MB limit and end up in the 2GB tier which seems to be the next level offered at many carriers.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Some people have used 16GB and 40GB on their WP7. (2 highest peaks so far)

Not mentioning any names of course but he's not too far away and is constantly streaming last FM and Zune. ;)

Oh and panic ye not, they are on 3's unlimited data plan. (Hooray for unlimited data!) :)

Those people will get capped by their carrier if they keep that kind of usage up (unless maybe its sprint?....not sure how they would deal with 40GB usage as thats definitely abusing the bandwidth lol).

And that kind of data means they are tethering, streaming most of their shows, using it as their cable replacement at home, streaming movies ect constantly. I don't think I've ever hit the 5GB cap (which is typically the unlimited 'ceiling') even with my Nexus which had wifi tethering which I used for work a lot.

I wonder how you could even find the time to hit 40GB unless you are unemployed, or its your job description to see how much you can use lol.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Those people will get capped by their carrier if they keep that kind of usage up (unless maybe its sprint?....not sure how they would deal with 40GB usage as thats definitely abusing the bandwidth lol).

And that kind of data means they are tethering, streaming most of their shows, using it as their cable replacement at home, streaming movies ect constantly. I don't think I've ever hit the 5GB cap (which is typically the unlimited 'ceiling') even with my Nexus which had wifi tethering which I used for work a lot.

I wonder how you could even find the time to hit 40GB unless you are unemployed, or its your job description to see how much you can use lol.
Absolutely no caps. As much data as you like till the cows come home.

You sure can rack up that amount easily when streaming for hours on end.

Especially when you work from home.

Of course when i leave the building, Zune and Last FM are with me too so even more streaming LOL

I do love my music. Can you tell ? :)

3 UK's The One Plan

Three - Help & Support - All-you-can-eat data on The One Plan.

See, no need to ever worry dtboos. Tethering is fine too with 3, it's also included.

With the The One Plan you get:

•2000 minutes (anytime, any network)
•5000 texts
•All-you-can-eat Data
•5000 Three-to-Three minutes
•Voicemail

All for a mere ?25 per month, not too shabby is it?

Wonder if i'll get commission from them for advertising or a free Titan, wooo! LOL (I Wish)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12