My Gripes with WP7

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, your argument still didn't make sense to me. If you're trying to fit a meeting, look at your agenda and you'll see all your appointments (i.e., the times when you won't be able to fit the meeting in) and, then, you can plan around your other appointments. It seems like the same thing to me.

If I'm missing something, I am asking you to tell me what it is. I'm not closed off to the possibility that week view may be useful. I honestly can't see it though.

Let's say you have 20 meetings a week, 3 or 4 one day, then 5 or 6 another. You get another meeting and you need to drop it into a time block that's open sometime later this week.

If today is Monday, you can't just glance at your Agenda view and see that Thursday at 3:00pm is open, like you can in outlook. You'd have to scroll through the agenda view trying to find a block of time.

That's how I use the outlook calendar at work with Week View. I can see, within about 2 seconds, all blocks of time throughout the week that are open. You simply can't do that with agenda view.

Check out the attached image: You're on the phone with a client while out at lunch and he asks for a Thursday meeting: You have a few seconds to give him one. Which view works best?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you are correct, week view is definitely easier to use. My only question is whether it would be practical on a mobile screen. I can't recall how iOS does it. Maybe it would work well as metro, where you could scroll from side to side to side?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
To me it would be just as easy to have a monthly calendar and tap on the day and pull the day up. But if you are used to a week view and I do find it nice to do outlook and/or hotmail calendar in week view but not so much on the device.

Last edited:

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, your argument still didn't make sense to me. If you're trying to fit a meeting, look at your agenda and you'll see all your appointments (i.e., the times when you won't be able to fit the meeting in) and, then, you can plan around your other appointments. It seems like the same thing to me.

If I'm missing something, I am asking you to tell me what it is. I'm not closed off to the possibility that week view may be useful. I honestly can't see it though.

You CAN do that, yes. But I'm talking about CONVENIENCE. If someone comes to me and says, "Hey we need to meet sometime next week. What day/time works best for you?", it is far more convenient for me to see the entire week and pick a time rather than flicking through each day to find a time. It's just faster and more efficient.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
agreed, week view would definitely work better in landscape, or I'd even take Agenda in a Pivot type control of it's own, where each day could be swiped left/right.

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's say you have 20 meetings a week, 3 or 4 one day, then 5 or 6 another. You get another meeting and you need to drop it into a time block that's open sometime later this week.

If today is Monday, you can't just glance at your Agenda view and see that Thursday at 3:00pm is open, like you can in outlook. You'd have to scroll through the agenda view trying to find a block of time.

That's how I use the outlook calendar at work with Week View. I can see, within about 2 seconds, all blocks of time throughout the week that are open. You simply can't do that with agenda view.

Check out the attached image: You're on the phone with a client while out at lunch and he asks for a Thursday meeting: You have a few seconds to give him one. Which view works best?

Thank you. This is a great example.

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion would be for agenda/day views to be in portrait, then you can turn it to landscape and bam! you're in week view. I think iOS5 is going to be doing something along those lines.

But either way, BlackBerry and Android have had week view for as long as I can remember.

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, outside of this little gripes, I love the OS. I will most likely stick with it and hope that the next update (Tango?) will bring a week view.

Anyway, we've spent the whole time talking about Week View when I think it's just as big of a travesty that I CAN'T SET A FREAKIN' END DATE FOR RECURRING EVENTS! What the HECK is that? My old enV messaging phone could do that! Like today I wanted to set an event for Monday-Friday for JUST this week. But there was no option for me to tell it to end on Friday. STUPID. For such a well-thought-out OS, Microsoft dropped the ball with the Calendar app.

So if I want to set a recurring event with an end-date, I have to go onto my laptop and do it. Lame.

Last edited:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I love WP7 but I hate that the signal strength doesn't stay visible all the time. I thought in mango there was supposed to be a setting where you could have it displayed all the time.
wow dude seriously? in wm6.5 when in IE or opera u had to go back to the main screen to see all of that, so it wasn't visible all the time there either.
If you have a lot of meetings, that doesn't work so well with the Agenda. At best you can only see 4-5 appointments at a time. Week view shows the blocks of time graphically so you can see when you CAN meet a lot more easily.

I use outlook at work and I am scheduled by a lot of colleagues. Week view would be convenient for me to have.

Oh and iOS 5 has it...

Kalle
that's the only thing iOS5 has over wp7 mango.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, we've spent the whole time talking about Week View when I think it's just as big of a travesty that I CAN'T SET A FREAKIN' END DATE FOR RECURRING EVENTS! What the HECK is that? My old enV messaging phone could do that! Like today I wanted to set an event for Monday-Friday for JUST this week. But there was no option for me to tell it to end on Friday. STUPID. For such a well-thought-out OS, Microsoft dropped the ball with the Calendar app.

So if I want to set a recurring event with an end-date, I have to go onto my laptop and do it. Lame.

ok well in that case u set the event to end FRIDAY at this given time. but I guess u must be too nice of a guy to figure that out. oh and did I mention that apple thinks their customers are Stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Tongue in cheek

No thanks. If anything, I'm within my 30-day period, so I can return it for an Incredible 2. I just wanted to give WP7 a good try.

I'm trying to like WP7, I really am. It's just the Calendar is probably the most important app for me, and, frankly, WP7's Calendar is mediocre.

Yeah, the offer was tongue in cheek at best. I love WP7; much better than Android. I was crazy to sell mine and will have one again soon. My problem is Verizon. They are the absolute the slowest to offer new phones; especially non Droid. Oh well, guess I will wait for the lottery ticket I keep buying to finally work.:lol:

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
ok well in that case u set the event to end FRIDAY at this given time. but I guess u must be too nice of a guy to figure that out. oh and did I mention that apple thinks their customers are Stupid?

I'm in the process of syncing my phone right now, but if this works, then thanks! I'm sorry that you had to get upset and resort to name-calling to tell me, but I appreciate it regardless. Perhaps next time you may consider responding as if I didn't insult your mother or child.

IT'S JUST A PHONE.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can understand about the gripe with the calendar, I'm not such a fan of it myself. The biggest reason for me, is only because, I've used Symbian for so long and was used to it. I'm starting to get used to WP7's calendar, but it really wouldn't be such a bad thing for having a few tweaks to it or more options. I'm sure in time as users voice their feelings, MS will hopefully listen and if enough gripes will fix some things.

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I tried this, and it didn't work. In other OS's, when you make an event recurring, it brings up an option to make the recurring event end after a certain date.

Like let's say I have a class on Mondays from 8-9am. I want to make it recur until December 15th. There is no option to do so. If I try to set the "end date" of the event to December 15th, I get an error message because it conflicts.

If anyone else knows how to set an end date for recurring events, let me know please. This is an even bigger deal to me than the lack of a week view.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's all relative to what we want to use the most. I can't see either one being a huge deal to implement. I sent the phone guys my pic request with the easiest way for agenda to turn into agenda/week view (attached)

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Highly unlikely. Its notifications menu for example looks like it will be a winner. We still can't even go to a page with all our notifications on it.

I've used iOS a LOT. Enough to know that even with its shortcomings, WP7 is the OS that matches my life better for the most part. However it's not perfect. Week view is just one way in which it falls short. For me. And it sounds like for the OP. If you have a week with 30 or more appointments in it, week view makes it a lot easier to find a suitable time for a new appointment.

Kalle

that's the only thing iOS5 has over wp7 mango.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Fair enough about convenience with a lot of meetings (I guess I'm lucky that I've never had that kind of hectic scheduling), but, like dakranii said, I still have to wonder how useful that'd be on the small screen. I was hoping Coffee was going to show me Android's and/or iOS's and/or BB's week view.

And, of course, the funny thing is Hotmail Calendar on the web has both week view and the ability to set an end date (or, alternatively, set the number of occurrences) for a recurring event. The mobile web version of the week view still appears to be a list though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers