My WP7 review

colorblind26

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The live tile comment applies to the tiles that I use. Not all the tiles out there. I actually prefer the microsoft weather app but the live tile doesn't update. Accuweather wasn't updating for me either. Twitter and facebook live tiles weren't updating at all for me. Flixster isn't updating on mine either.

My issue with the people tile is it combines news from facebook and twitter in to one flow. I have so much going on with both that having it all together makes it somewhat more challenging to sort through.

I'll have to look into groups. I don't much care about their social updates but having them grouped together would be beneficial.

you can filter your feeds by tapping "What's new" on People Hub

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
1 million mindless sheep who don't know any better

why en cojos rate iOS above wp7? it's obvious that iOS5 isn't bringing anything new to the table over wp7 mango, are u an undercover iSheep intentionally trying to find things in wp7 inferior to iOS?

Rubbish. You think you get millions of users and that level of customer loyalty by producing mediocre products? iOS is a great operating system, and Apple make great hardware. Being able to accept that doesn't automatically make you an Apple fan nor does it make what you like inherently any worse, but it does show you have the ability to look at things objectively and realistically. Unlike, say, thinking anyone not praising WP7 is an Apple plant.

iOS also has plenty of features that WP7 doesn't have, and vice versa WP7 has features in Mango that iOS doesn't. Deciding which suits you is a matter of taste and a matter of requirements. WP7 will suit some people better than iOS and vice versa.

Grow up and stop being so absurdly precious about WP7. Microsoft don't think it's perfect - that's why they have a suggestions site. If the manufacturers can be honest and admit that the system still has plenty of scope to grow and improve, don't you think it's about time you did too?

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Rubbish. You think you get millions of users and that level of customer loyalty by producing mediocre products? iOS is a great operating system, and Apple make great hardware. Being able to accept that doesn't automatically make you an Apple fan nor does it make what you like inherently any worse, but it does show you have the ability to look at things objectively and realistically. Unlike, say, thinking anyone not praising WP7 is an Apple plant.

iOS also has plenty of features that WP7 doesn't have, and vice versa WP7 has features in Mango that iOS doesn't. Deciding which suits you is a matter of taste and a matter of requirements. WP7 will suit some people better than iOS and vice versa.

Grow up and stop being so absurdly precious about WP7. Microsoft don't think it's perfect - that's why they have a suggestions site. If the manufacturers can be honest and admit that the system still has plenty of scope to grow and improve, don't you think it's about time you did too?

I can maybe think of 3 things that iOS has that wp7 doesn't and that's it. that being said mango offers more of what iOS does not have. I've already said what I think needs to be added to wp7 in order for me to be 100% satisfied with it.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I can maybe think of 3 things that iOS has that wp7 doesn't and that's it. that being said mango offers more of what iOS does not have. I've already said what I think needs to be added to wp7 in order for me to be 100% satisfied with it.

So you're not 100% satisfied with it now? ;)

Look, your shortsighted fanboyish comments aren't earning you any points. What you need to realize is that people have different wants and needs than you and ios may suite them better. Or they may just like it better for their own reasons. Nothing wrong with that. It's good that we do have so much choice and everyone can get what suits them best. That doesn't make people who disagree with you "mindless sheep".

Useraid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It isn't the resolution that is making you see those 'pixels' it is the rougher rendering due to the pentile matrix of AMOLED which is an issue with that gen, fixed with amoled plus.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So you're not 100% satisfied with it now? ;)

Look, your shortsighted fanboyish comments aren't earning you any points. What you need to realize is that people have different wants and needs than you and ios may suite them better. Or they may just like it better for their own reasons. Nothing wrong with that. It's good that we do have so much choice and everyone can get what suits them best. That doesn't make people who disagree with you "mindless sheep".

there seems to be alot of affinity and allegiance towards apple and google on this site lately and I'm not liking it at all. even WMPU is starting to do something about it.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
there seems to be alot of affinity and allegiance towards apple and google on this site lately and I'm not liking it at all. even WMPU is starting to do something about it.

No, it's objectivity. I'm not tied to any particular manufacturer or OS provider so I appreciate each on their merits. And I certainly don't use one provider just because I have something else from them. I use what suits me best - so I have a Mac, I have a WP7 phone, I have an iPad and I use Google search and Google services.

This is a WP7 site, so you're going to see more of "well Apple does this and Android does that" than you would on another site because WP7 is the main topic and so will be the centre of comparison. But on another forum I'm on I've been pushing WP7 over Android a lot because I think it's superior. So it's all a matter of perspective too - you don't see all the other stuff, so you might assume that all I do is moan about WP7. I don't - but if I'm on a WP7 site, what do you expect other than discussions? Post after post of "hey, isn't this great?" and nothing else? That's not a forum - that's a shrine.

Fanboyism, and unswerving loyalty to one corporation's products over another, is just ridiculous. It benefits no-one, it makes people get defensive, and it means you can't appreciate things on face value. It also means that shortcomings are overlooked, which ultimately leads to less feedback and nothing being done about them. So you may not like people suggesting other products and services are better, but it's actually healthy - best for the customer, and best for business as it spurs them on to go one better again. Give it a try sometime, you might like it ;)

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
No, it's objectivity. I'm not tied to any particular manufacturer or OS provider so I appreciate each on their merits. And I certainly don't use one provider just because I have something else from them. I use what suits me best - so I have a Mac, I have a WP7 phone, I have an iPad and I use Google search and Google services.

This is a WP7 site, so you're going to see more of "well Apple does this and Android does that" than you would on another site because WP7 is the main topic and so will be the centre of comparison. But on another forum I'm on I've been pushing WP7 over Android a lot because I think it's superior. So it's all a matter of perspective too - you don't see all the other stuff, so you might assume that all I do is moan about WP7. I don't - but if I'm on a WP7 site, what do you expect other than discussions? Post after post of "hey, isn't this great?" and nothing else? That's not a forum - that's a shrine.

Fanboyism, and unswerving loyalty to one corporation's products over another, is just ridiculous. It benefits no-one, it makes people get defensive, and it means you can't appreciate things on face value. It also means that shortcomings are overlooked, which ultimately leads to less feedback and nothing being done about them. So you may not like people suggesting other products and services are better, but it's actually healthy - best for the customer, and best for business as it spurs them on to go one better again. Give it a try sometime, you might like it ;)

how is telling someone to use SkyDrive,hotmail,and Bing not healthy? its supporting the ecosystem, and it only makes sense to do so, its called matching. im sure uve heard of that right? using Google,Gmail,and iCloud with wp7 is like wearing 2 different colors/sizes of socks, it just doesn't look nor feel right. it just seems like it's the best to do, sorry u can't seem to understand that.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
But if those services aren't as good a fit for someone as a service from another supplier, what's the point in forcing yourself to use them just because they're from one supplier? Using them for the sake of it certainly isn't healthy. Besides, your issue was with people showing affinity to other platforms - but if they work for them and work well, why not? Do you really not want to even know about alternatives, let alone hear about good (or even better) ones??

I use dropbox because it has better support than Skydrive across all the systems I use - iMac, iPad, WP7. I use Google for search on my desktop because it works better for my day to day work, but I use Bing on my phone for convenience (but I'd like the choice). I use Google maps via Bingle Maps on my WP7 phone even though Bing maps is built in just because I prefer it. I use Gmail because it's a better system that Hotmail and again is supported better across *all* the systems I use. But then I use a WP7 phone rather than an iPhone or an Android one, I use Local Scout because it's a great service, I use Chrome on my iMac rather than Safari because it's better and so on.

I pick what works best for me for my ecosystem. That may sometimes be more than one thing from one supplier, sometimes not. But I certainly don't feel I owe any one supplier my loyalty, and these days everything is so compatible that sticking to one purely for the sake of it is pointless. I paid for my phone/tablet/computer - that's where what I owe to the supplier ends. If they want me to keep using their stuff, then they need to have the best product or service to entice me to do so because it benefits me, not them. Because there's nothing to stop WP7 users from using Apple or Google stuff too, just like iPhone users can use PCs and Android users can use either, or Chrome OS users can use whatever they want to.

You should try broadening your horizons, guy. There's more than one company out there, and a lot of people make a lot of good stuff. If you want to just stick to one, that's fine - I have no problem with that. Just don't imply people who do try things from elsewhere are somehow wrong to do so, and certainly don't write off any time they might show a preference for something else as them being Apple plants or similar.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
But if those services aren't as good a fit for someone as a service from another supplier, what's the point in forcing yourself to use them just because they're from one supplier? Using them for the sake of it certainly isn't healthy. Besides, your issue was with people showing affinity to other platforms - but if they work for them and work well, why not? Do you really not want to even know about alternatives, let alone hear about good (or even better) ones??

I use dropbox because it has better support than Skydrive across all the systems I use - iMac, iPad, WP7. I use Google for search on my desktop because it works better for my day to day work, but I use Bing on my phone for convenience (but I'd like the choice). I use Google maps via Bingle Maps on my WP7 phone even though Bing maps is built in just because I prefer it. I use Gmail because it's a better system that Hotmail and again is supported better across *all* the systems I use. But then I use a WP7 phone rather than an iPhone or an Android one, I use Local Scout because it's a great service, I use Chrome on my iMac rather than Safari because it's better and so on.

I pick what works best for me for my ecosystem. That may sometimes be more than one thing from one supplier, sometimes not. But I certainly don't feel I owe any one supplier my loyalty, and these days everything is so compatible that sticking to one purely for the sake of it is pointless. I paid for my phone/tablet/computer - that's where what I owe to the supplier ends. If they want me to keep using their stuff, then they need to have the best product or service to entice me to do so because it benefits me, not them. Because there's nothing to stop WP7 users from using Apple or Google stuff too, just like iPhone users can use PCs and Android users can use either, or Chrome OS users can use whatever they want to.

You should try broadening your horizons, guy. There's more than one company out there, and a lot of people make a lot of good stuff. If you want to just stick to one, that's fine - I have no problem with that. Just don't imply people who do try things from elsewhere are somehow wrong to do so, and certainly don't write off any time they might show a preference for something else as them being Apple plants or similar.

u never said how exactly Gmail is better than hotmail when I really don't think so.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think your wires are crossed. Just because this is a WP fan site, doesn't mean it's a Android/WebOS/Badu/iOS/Meego hate site.
It's something we called objectivity, maybe you should go look it up mi amigo.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
u never said how exactly Gmail is better than hotmail when I really don't think so.

Yes I did - in the other thread it was mentioned in. But in a nutshell: considerably better access across different systems in Gmail (MS only released a Hotmail app for Android last month and there still isn't one for the iPhone, so on many systems you're stuck to a basic mobile version of the site), better layout in Gmail (Hotmail crams extra adverts down the side of the screen so you get less of your folder/message header), cleaner logout in Gmail (no being redirected to the MS homepage), easier login with Gmail (hotmail requires your whole email address rather than just the part before "@"), Gmail lab plug-ins (for reminders not to send messages without attachments etc. - very handy), better browser-independent coding in Gmail - logging out of Hotmail on Chrome or Safari throws up error messages about site security *every single time*, better layout in Gmail and easier to access settings/controls, Gmail has drag and drop adding of attachments, and it also has better spam filters.

Will that do you?

EDIT: oh, and Gmail notifier for the desktop.

Last edited:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I think your wires are crossed. Just because this is a WP fan site, doesn't mean it's a Android/WebOS/Badu/iOS/Meego hate site.

It's something we called objectivity, maybe you should go look it up mi amigo.

it also doesnt mean that we should choose products made by those companies and say that the one made by our company is lacking on this site. almost the same as bashing WP

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
it also doesnt mean that we should choose products made by those companies and say that the one made by our company is lacking on this site. almost the same as bashing WP

There are areas it is lacking. And we discuss those areas because we like WP7. Not because we hate it. We want it to improve and never stop improving. So we need to discuss what is missing in WP7, what we admire about other platforms and what we'd like to see WP7 do or not do.

And yes, there are areas where WP7 excels against the competition. But there are positive things to be said about iOS and android that WP7 could stand to copy. And vice versa.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't call microsoft out on WP7 if they aren't providing something we want. Nor should we kiss their *** and praise everything as then there's no reason for them to improve.

We are all here and posting about these things because we LIKE WP7.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

*Our* company??? We don't work for MS - we just bought one of their products and have an interest in it. I'm pretty sure I never signed up to do free marketing for them or agreed never to use anything made by anyone else in the process though. If you did, then you got seriously screwed over on your contract! :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I seriously think there are TWO people who post on this board that are MS employees.
*Our* company??? We don't work for MS - we just bought one of their products and have an interest in it. I'm pretty sure I never signed up to do free marketing for them or agreed never to use anything made by anyone else in the process though. If you did, then you got seriously screwed over on your contract! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb