Tellme Conversational Voice VS Siri

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The app store version of Siri and the 4S version are light years apart - the orignal was released before Apple bought the company and was left in the app store as a legacy app. It was barely more advanced than the built-in voice control that shipped wth iOS4. It hasn't been pulled to screw customers but to avoid customers potentially buying the app thinking it's the new version and wasting their money.

As for Siri's appeal, you know what? I reckon it's not primarily for us (and by "us" I mean people with a fairly good grasp of tech). It's for people who don't like computers and smartphones but like what they can do. Now, they can ask questions the way they'd ask someone in the room with them. That's a huge market segment Apple may have just unlocked.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 has improved gamecenter almost on feature parity if not completely with xbox live and their cloud services. Really those aren't competitive advantages. Especially when the wp7 versions of iOS gamecenter games are 3x more expensive. Even more in some cases.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The integration with the console is the competitive advantage.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
All examples of siri in the keynote were single sentences. Nothing more than the guy responding, "Yes, friday is fine." or something like that.

I was thinking about the privacy as well. Even if you were at your desk at work asking siri to make a meeting for 5:30 at the local pub with your customer. Siri responds by saying, "Steve, your gonorrhea appointment is at that time, should I reschedule?" :D Would be a bit embarrassing to say the least.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The integration with the console is the competitive advantage.

It integrates with the console? Tell me more, I love that!

Regarding competitiveness though, I have to say, every time people ask me why on earth I have a WP, if I mention Xbox integration, they really don't care. Even gamers.

Oh well, screw 'em. *hugs phone*

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That's probably because it doesn't integate much for a gamer to care about (yet...), unless they're one of the small niche who obsessively collect gamerpoints.

The xbox remote control is a step in the right direction, but at present it's just token gesture stuff like avatar tinkering and messages.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The app store version of Siri and the 4S version are light years apart - the orignal was released before Apple bought the company and was left in the app store as a legacy app. It was barely more advanced than the built-in voice control that shipped wth iOS4. It hasn't been pulled to screw customers but to avoid customers potentially buying the app thinking it's the new version and wasting their money.

As for Siri's appeal, you know what? I reckon it's not primarily for us (and by "us" I mean people with a fairly good grasp of tech). It's for people who don't like computers and smartphones but like what they can do. Now, they can ask questions the way they'd ask someone in the room with them. That's a huge market segment Apple may have just unlocked.

You say that - but I guarantee you that within 5 years even YOU will be planning that next trip to Italy using Siri or something like it. Don't tell me you just love typing for the heck of it.

Bottom line the fundamental difference between Siri and TellMe/Google Voice Actions is that Siri is a natural language semantic engine. You can actually teach it to do things.

F.e. you will tell your iPhone "call my wife". Siri doesn't know who your wife is yet, so it will ask you to associate Wife<-->Contact. After you teach it that, all further requests will just immediately dial your wife.

Or take travel planning. You will say "Siri, let's plan my trip". Siri will ask what the dates are, where you are going, lead you to book your flight, hotel, car rental, whatever. Siri is a semantic AI engine that implements complex workflows. TellMe just implements one atomic command at a time, no workflow. As a software engineer, I find this very interesting.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, I'd use it a lot - I'm a fan of any big innovation. What I meant is, the immediate appeal of it will be to people who are more technophobic. Apple are very good at making technology more accessible, and making more of the functionality of that technology more accesible* and this is another example of it.

*I remember reading somewhere once that iPhone users on average use 70-80% of the functions of their phones, compared to Nokia N95 users (it was a while ago!) who had arguably more functionality but only used 30-40% of it on average because it was less user friendly to use. Which is why I genuinely believe that eventually more user-friendly systems such as WP7 and iOS will overtake Android unless it gets a lot more refined and less fiddly.

bikehere

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is a general low level animosity with Apple here...which is fine. This is a Windows site after all! However remember that Siri isn't something that Apple created over a short period of time. There is some serious science behind it (Siri has been evolving for almost a decade), and Apple has spent a lot of time figuring how to integrate it into IOS. So it's not just another "feature". Most responses (the Android folk especially), is "bah, had something like this since 2008". But this is not just word recognition...Siri understands *context* - that is not something easy to do...

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Its also being turned off on phones that already have it, I'm pretty sure that's not to prevent people from wasting their money.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Devs kill old apps - it happens. There's not really much point trying to frame Apple terminating an old, outdated version of something that's now a system feature as an anti-customer conspiracy. It's just progress and not wanting to confuse the situation. Besides, MS cut a load of features that WM6.5 had from WP7 - some of which still aren't back even post-Mango - so I don't think we can really call Apple out on this!

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a general low level animosity with Apple here...which is fine. This is a Windows site after all! However remember that Siri isn't something that Apple created over a short period of time. There is some serious science behind it (Siri has been evolving for almost a decade), and Apple has spent a lot of time figuring how to integrate it into IOS. So it's not just another "feature". Most responses (the Android folk especially), is "bah, had something like this since 2008". But this is not just word recognition...Siri understands *context* - that is not something easy to do...

That's my point. I think the Apple virtual assistant is the biggest thing to happen to smartphones since the iPhone came out in 2007.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Devs kill old apps - it happens. There's not really much point trying to frame Apple terminating an old, outdated version of something that's now a system feature as an anti-customer conspiracy. It's just progress and not wanting to confuse the situation. Besides, MS cut a load of features that WM6.5 had from WP7 - some of which still aren't back even post-Mango - so I don't think we can really call Apple out on this!

Who said conspiracy? Apple quite openly turned off a product that worked fine for people on its first 4 iphone models, and made its replacement only available on the 4s. A customer friendly company would let users decide whether they wanted to continue using the old siri.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Who said conspiracy? Apple quite openly turned off a product that worked fine for people on its first 4 iphone models, and made its replacement only available on the 4s. A customer friendly company would let users decide whether they wanted to continue using the old siri.

I thought Siri was available on all phones with iOS5, which was all phones 3GS and later.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Or take travel planning. You will say "Siri, let's plan my trip". Siri will ask what the dates are, where you are going, lead you to book your flight, hotel, car rental, whatever. Siri is a semantic AI engine that implements complex workflows. TellMe just implements one atomic command at a time, no workflow. As a software engineer, I find this very interesting.
Honestly, that sounds as tedious as dialing voicemail if you have visual voicemail. Options, I assume, will have to be read one by one in some sort of order. I can only see it being useful/safe when doing something very monotonous like running/jogging/walking. In terms of tech, yes, it's an impressive feat towards AI and voice recognition. In terms of practicality, it doesn't seem that useful to me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I like TellMe and I don't particularly think MS should try to copy Siri. However I do hope that MS updates TellMe with more commands. With all that TellMe can do I just can't shake the feeling that it should do more.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That's my point. I think the Apple virtual assistant is the biggest thing to happen to smartphones since the iPhone came out in 2007.

I may be shortsighted, but I don't see it. At least not until Siri can do everything you want on a phone, not just certain tasks.

I love having hands-free voice control on texting, calling, etc while in the car. But I'm not going to sit at work and tell my phone to call my wife, I'm just going to hit the button. Nor am I going to compose a text to my friend to see if they want to go to Best Buy at lunch by talking to Siri and have everyone at work listen in. Not that it's private, but if I wanted them to hear, I would've called.

I'm not going to tell the phone to book me on a flight to Sydney and then listen while Siri walks me through all the possible options of times, dates, rental cars, hotels when I can do it on one page on a travel app in about a minute.

I think Siri is cool, and has its applicable functions on the phone, but only for certain things at certain times, and that's the limitation. Many tasks just aren't applicable by even the best of speech analyzers because they're better suited to a couple mouse/finger clicks.

But, as always, I could be wrong.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I'm not really worried about Siri as of now because I communicate more in Spanish than English (Siri currently supports English, Fran?ais, Deutsche only) but natural voice recognization is definitely something I'd like to have my hands on.

One thing I like about Apple marketing and that they promote things like no one else had thought of it or done before OR they just go the extra mile; and the lucky SOBs gain more momentum - the iPhone 5 was a huge let down but was quickly forgotten when Siri when came out.

Sure Microsoft is working on a more advanced TellMe but before everyone's eyes, Apple won because it was first.

Take a look at Microsoft's vision for TellMe Microsoft Tellme "Say it. Get it." - YouTube

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo