Mango - New User Impressions

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
That's a form of fallacious reasoning called an Argumentum Ad Populum, or an Appeal to the People. That something is generally believed does not prove that it's actually true. Popular opinion is quite simply irrelevant (non sequitur) to the conclusion. For example, at one time pretty much everyone thought the earth was flat... popular belief didn't prove the statement.

Hence, "Everyone says that Google is better than Bing. Therefore, Google is better than Bing." Is just fallacious reasoning.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean that what's popularly believed is false. It's just that the truth of a statement cannot be determined by appealing to popular opinion (Unless, of course, the statement is <I>about</I> popular opinion. LOL)

HAHAHA that's awesome considering I'm in a Logic class at my university right now. Props man.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that finds the way search results are displayed in Mango (never ran nodo, so not sure what they looked like) to be...well..ugly as ****?

I feel completely discombobulated with the built in search function. It may have to do with the limitted number of results or the segmentation, such as 3 news results and 2 web results, etc. All I know, is I just don't dig it. I wish there was a way to change the font size or the number of results or only show web results or something, cause it makes me feel clausterphobic as it is.

I am looking forward to trying blind search...interesting idea.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
so if I use my phone and the magnifying glass search at the bottom am I getting rewards for using the Bing search built into the phone? I did sign up btw

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

followed the link and it says Bing rewards not available from a mobile device! BUMMER!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I did the blind search thing using three searches. One was very specific with the word having multiple / unrelated meanings.

One search provider did not even list any of the second meaning of the word. The meaning I was interested in actually.

End result: 2-1 Google

I do dig the rewards however. I've already picked up a 400 pt Xbox Live card.

I noticed someone said you only get reward points from your desktop. Is it confirmed you don't get points from using WP? .... Just read the other posts... That is a bummer. That needs to be changed..

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I did the blind search to see if what I thought was my favorite was really preferred when no branding was available. I personally prefer Bing. My results from 5 searches was Bing 3, Google 1, 1 draw. The draw was when I searched for a car, the results on blind search were a draw, but blind search didn't show the bing.com/autos result at the top of Bing's search results like you get when you use bing.com. If Blind search had shown this it would have been bing 4 google 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss