My First Windows Phone. Need Help/Suggestions Please

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy your Pre. See you back here in a few months (or maybe weeks).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mdelacoma

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

No need to be rude. I haven't bought a Pre 3 yet. I'm most likely not using Mango in the most efficient way. If I can get used to it, make it more functional, I will not buy a Pre 3. Like I said, I am trying to give it a fair opportunity. WP will be around for a while. While my Pre 3, if purchased, would be without support. I would prefer to stay with WP. Just gotta get it figured out. Right now I'm frustrated. But not giving up. If anybody has any tips or helpful advice to more efficiently navigate Mango's multitasking, that would most appreciated.

One thing I have to mention is the on screen keyboard. I have always used a physical keyboard and was worried about the switch. I had played with other phones (iPhone, Android) in the past and was horrible on the damned things. But the autocorrect on this phone is outstanding. I don't even worry about missing letters. It fills every word in as if it knows exactly what I want to say. iOS and Android are not even close. I still prefer the tactile feel of a physical keyboard, but the on screen keyboard on this Focus isn't very far behind. Well done.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Bert

However, I'm not so sure I like WP. I'm trying to give it a fair opportunity. But it's just so bass ackwards when it comes to navigating. Mango's multitasking is lame. I can never figure out whether to press the notification as it comes up or hold the back arrow to open all my pages. Sometimes I have multiple messaging pages open. Then I have to press the back arrow a bunch of times. I'll have an email page open then receive an email and it's the same deal. Just can't get used to it.

And what's up with the music staying open but paused? Why can't I just get rid of it when I'm not using it? I hear that it's not using battery while in the background, but I don't care. If I'm not using it, I don't want to see it on my screen.

Why does the url bar always appear on a web page at the bottom? I don't want it there taking up screen space.

In the last couple days I've begun wondering how I would feel if I sold my Focus and bought a Pre 3 off Ebay

I really like this Samsung phone, but I really love WebOS. What to do?

So where would you prefer the URL bar?

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I understand what Zune and Skydrive is. I assumed that you could connect your WP phone to your laptop or desktop and it would appear in Windows Explorer as a DRIVE where you could transfer files. Is that not true?

mdelacoma

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

So where would you prefer the URL bar?
I would prefer it not be on the screen at all. If I could recall the url bar when needed that would be much better. Maybe something like the 3 dot option that a lot of pages have. Press that to have the option of showing the url bar. It least then it wouldn't be there taking up screen space when not needed.

L

lumic

Thank you so much, lumic. That's so much better now. Maybe you can help with another one? Is there a way to change the alert for the keys at the bottom? The back arrow, windows and search keys vibrate when I touch them. I would rather they make a sound or nothing at all.
I've sadly been unable to find out how to turn off vibrate on the physical keys. This is one area where you feel that Microsoft shouldn't have pushed such a closed system to begin with - there are just too many functions that different users will want. I think it was very silly of them to add the URL bar to landscape without the option to turn it off again, for example.

And ha, I share the same micromanagement issues as you. I would love to be able to close the music playback. I'm hoping that one of the Tango updates will bring limitless multitasking (having a maximum of six severely hampers it) and app closing (let us swipe up, even if you have to pay HP!).

Please ignore the radical fans. Windows Phone definitely has its little annoyances, and I can sympathise (haven't been a webOS user, but I followed its development closely and thought it superior all along to iOS/WinMo/Android). We can only hope Microsoft irons out the kinks with every update.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I understand what Zune and Skydrive is. I assumed that you could connect your WP phone to your laptop or desktop and it would appear in Windows Explorer as a DRIVE where you could transfer files. Is that not true?

I would prefer it not be on the screen at all. If I could recall the url bar when needed that would be much better. Maybe something like the 3 dot option that a lot of pages have. Press that to have the option of showing the url bar. It least then it wouldn't be there taking up screen space when not needed.

Use the Zune software to sync files to and from your PC. Skydrive is "the cloud"--fgree storage for files and music. You can add things there by going to skydrive.live.com and then accessing them from the phone through the Office hub.

Once you open that Zune software, you'll kiss "transferring files" goodbye. Also, as far as the music controls showing up, they'll disappear after awhile if you don't mess with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre