starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
When you go away from an app, it stops running. The apps in the app switcher are just how they looked like when you "closed" them to do whatever else, so that you can start them up where you left off, like a bookmark in a book.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
don't know why everyone is hung up on closing apps. no RAM or resources are being hogged.
Well something other than magic dust makes fast app restore possible. And MS only allows X number of apps to remain open for a reason.

Call it a bad habit, but I would like the ability to close without reopening/back.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Well something other than magic dust makes fast app restore possible. And MS only allows X number of apps to remain open for a reason.

Call it a bad habit, but I would like the ability to close without reopening/back.

I don't think I have ever even used 50-100MB of RAM yet and we have 468 at device boot so that's plenty, want them closed just wait for them to get pushed out. duhh!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
don't know why everyone is hung up on closing apps. no RAM or resources are being hogged.

And you will never know. :)

I really think it is just because people don't understand it...you get a new fancy phone or move from Android and on that OS people are constantly talking about the Fast App Killer because if you leave your apps open it drains battery...so you just get in a mind set you have to manage your open apps even though the OS takes care of it all for you.

That is a good way to put it. It is a bad habit.

I'd equate it to someone that every time they stop watching Netflix presses the rewind button and takes the movie back to the beginning like they did with VHS, :lol:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I really think it is just because people don't understand it...you get a new fancy phone or move from Android and on that OS people are constantly talking about the Fast App Killer because if you leave your apps open it drains battery...so you just get in a mind set you have to manage your open apps even though the OS takes care of it all for you.

I'd equate it to someone that every time they stop watching Netflix presses the rewind button and takes the movie back to the beginning like they did with VHS, :lol:

thats a good analogy at the end right there with the rewinding.

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

To be honest, we really don't know whether the OS takes care of it or not. Developers claim a lot of things, few of them are ever true. BTW, do you know which other OS says you never need to close apps and the OS would take care of it all? That's right, Android.

A more practical reason is that there's limit number of apps in the switcher and I want certain apps to be there instead of being pushed off the queue. This is especially true since wp7 can't seem to figure out an app is already opened. For example, while drafting a message, I click home button to do something else. Open messaging again, the draft is gone. Except it's not really gone, if I use task switcher to switch back to the original messaging window, the draft is still there. wp7 is simply too stupid to figure out the app is already opened. And of course, after opening 5 apps, my carefully crafted draft is gone for ever (or maybe it's still stored somewhere on disk, just not accessible). Nice multitasking.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

thats the way ms set for closing is back button. Otherwise it will close if you put over 5 programs in the background.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, we really don't know whether the OS takes care of it or not. Developers claim a lot of things, few of them are ever true. BTW, do you know which other OS says you never need to close apps and the OS would take care of it all? That's right, Android.

A more practical reason is that there's limit number of apps in the switcher and I want certain apps to be there instead of being pushed off the queue. This is especially true since wp7 can't seem to figure out an app is already opened. For example, while drafting a message, I click home button to do something else. Open messaging again, the draft is gone. Except it's not really gone, if I use task switcher to switch back to the original messaging window, the draft is still there. wp7 is simply too stupid to figure out the app is already opened. And of course, after opening 5 apps, my carefully crafted draft is gone for ever (or maybe it's still stored somewhere on disk, just not accessible). Nice multitasking.

This is a very good example of the weakness in Microsoft's use of pseudo-multitasking. While I'm in love with the way Microsoft chose to handle multitasking, I'm not going to say it is perfect. It may save resources to freeze apps instead of just minimizing them, but the OS needs to be "smarter" in order to understand some sort of "priority" apps (such as apps with used text-fields) or it needs to have a way for us to swap apps in our history order quickly, so that they will not be dropped without having to relaunch them.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

or maybe u are simply too stupid to go back to the same instance of messaging to finish typing the message. in wp7 apps are limited also to how much RAM and resources can be taken up while running in the background, this isn't the case in open source Android, so this is the best multitasking around. if u don't want a previous app to fall out of the queue how hard is it to revisit it before u open another app?

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
or maybe u are simply too stupid to go back to the same instance of messaging to finish typing the message. in wp7 apps are limited also to how much RAM and resources can be taken up while running in the background, this isn't the case in open source Android, so this is the best multitasking around. if u don't want a previous app to fall out of the queue how hard is it to revisit it before u open another app?

Best multitasking around? ROFL. iOS also limits how much RAM and resources can be taken up while running in the background and it supports way more than 5 concurrent running apps, plus the ability to close apps. What makes wp7 better in this regard?

If Microsoft's attitude is to blame users for its own shortcomings, then I weep for the future of wp7. Thankfully, I doubt Microsoft agrees with you and I am sure developers are working hard to improve "the best multitasking around" to catch up with competitions just like the first step they took in Mango.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05