WP7 Needs A Notifications Menu

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Right, They could just put everything in a spot in the ME hub. Some apps that offer live tiles, like WPC, wouldn't need anything, but other, Board Express, Twitter, AlphaJax, Facebook, Ebay,... really would shine if you had a central location to check alerts.

I'm not a big user of apps, but I found myself over 30 real quick. Having to check 20+ apps to see if there is some type of notification is plain stupid. I feel bad for heavy app users who have to check 50 or more. LOL.
How do you figure that? The live tiles that I enjoy are the Weather Channel or the me or a contacts new posts or a boarding pass. Stuff like that. Honestly the message, phone, email ones don't do anything but put a number next to it. So tell me how that defeats the purpose?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I do not like the top down one. Swiping left would be the better option. Doesnt the battery indicator work on the top down swipe? So everytime you wanted to check battery you would get the notifications you have not deleted as well. Not too big of a deal, but less clean I think.

JackB03

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This might be a dumb idea, but add a notification button on side of the phone. Like the camera button. Click it and it automatically goes to a notification hub.

Sent from my windows phone using Board Express

JackB03

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
That is good design, yet it looks abit amateur. The iPhone 4S has a nice design and Android had a good idea BUT there both similar now since iPhone pretty much copied from Android. I want WM Os to have something different. A swipe to the left is nice. Maybe it can do it without unlocking your phone.

I still kinda like my idea that would bypass the unlocking of your phone and go straight to your notifications by having a button on the side of the phone that sends you to a Notification Hub. The Hub should be well designed as well.

Sent from my windows phone using Board Express

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I would also prefer a notification hub, and it would follow the WP design philosophy. the left swipe idea is reasonable and would also follow. Why just have a swipe right?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm very much in favor of a Zune-esque swipe left for notifications. Maybe find a way to show that mini menu on the left while on the main screen just like on a Zune HD

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Notification center concept for Windows Phone

This is a beautiful solution to the issue I feel
That looks too Android cutterfluck to me...

Besides, AFAIK, we can only get to the lock screen by pressing the power button.

I concur with whoever said a hub or something (sort of like an email inbox where you can delete notifications you want to dismiss) would be the best solution.

Last edited:

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a good start but way too much info. Song player, weather, reminders? I thought it was a notification menu. Looks like an everything center.

Your right, I could do without the excess info (I do think weather should be on lockscreen though) but something like that, Just a bit more metro UI

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The lack of a Global Notification Cache and Panel/Hub to access them has to be one of the most ignorant oversights by Microsoft. Did they really think Toasts and ambiguous Live Tile counters (analogous to Badges in iOS or Android Launches) was a substitute for a decent Notification system.

There's a reason why iOS pop-up Notifications were Modal and didn't go away automatically. It was because it lacked a Notification Cache and Badges/Counters tell you absolutely nothing about the actual Notification.

This makes it impossible to prioritize how you respond to multiple notifications... forcing you to go into every application and see even those that aren't important.

I just can't believe they LAUNCHED the OS in 2010 without a Global Notification Cache after sitting on the sidelines watching even the most devoted iOS fans lambast iOS's lack of one... for YEARS...

justinsims241

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
What if they had it to where on your lock screen you would just swipe down instead of up and you would have the name of the app at the top and a list of notifications for that, and when you swipe over, your looking at another app's notifications? That way it dosent interfere with the home screen.

L

lumic

They could just let the toast message stay until it's viewed, and not disappear in 5 seconds. WebOS does this, and it works fairly well.
Toast is not a solution because it's one item at a time. The worst part is when I'm IMing someone - I get about 20 toast notifications in the span of a few seconds and I need to swipe them away individually.

We need a notification centre that provides us with some information about the notification. This is better than seeing a number on a tile, and also frees up space on the homescreen for better use of Live Tiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss