WP7 Needs A Notifications Menu

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Considering windows mobile had it before both ios and android we need it back on wp7. Live tiles are great but when the phone is in your pocket and a app gives a notification that's not on the homescreen how are u suppose to know?

Would it be possible for a app to be made for this or is it just something Microsoft would have to add?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
notifications/toast/etc are done through the OS and would have to be made by Microsoft. Yes, it's def needed.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They already have the home screen with a little right arrow to the apps menu. Why not just add a little left arrow that goes to a notifications screen? Either that or put all notifications in the Me tile, not just facebook. Seems simple enough to me.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is the main area where WP7 is lacking. A quick swipe to the right would be a perfect place for all notifications.

don't you have all of your tiles that provide notifications, pinned? E-mail, me tile and text are the only notifications I need. Adding another swipe direction is reducing the simplistic design of WP7.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think most are referring to Toasts alerts, if you don't manage to get your phone in time you have no way of knowing what the alert was. You get around about 4 seconds max then it's Ta Ta toast!

Bit of a pain. A swipe right would be just fine for me. :)

Left for apps, right for alerts. :)

It's not adding another unknown swipe direction, as we swipe right all the time in the metro UI
to return to previous screens through our apps.

A right swipe from the home screen just seems a perfect addition to have for viewing your alerts history. (IMO)

Last edited:
L

lumic

If we have a notification screen, I will no longer have to waste six tiles on simple numerical indicators. To be honest, I'd rather use the tiles for apps I commonly access.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Adding another swipe will not reduce nothing. That's just a off the wall statement. Of course all tiles provide notifications, but if your not there to hear/see notifications, then you are just assed out. If it's not missed called/text/email, then it's not placed on the home screen. So you have to actually look through ALL your apps to see if you've have a notification or not.

Having to do this reduces MS theme of glance and go. This is not glance and go, this is having to search. FAIL.
don't you have all of your tiles that provide notifications, pinned? E-mail, me tile and text are the only notifications I need. Adding another swipe direction is reducing the simplistic design of WP7.
I don't even care, if they allowed everyone to have home screen notification, that would work for me. But playing the guessing game isn't a good way to do things.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

It takes too much deduction to figure out what a notification was, and you still don't get all the information. I can see a "2" on my messaging tile and it might say "new message" on my son's tile. What was the other message? When did my son text me? Or was it a facebook message?

Of course, if you want to know everything, open the app. I'm ok with it the way it is, but it would not take much to please everybody by providing a notification history screen from the home screen.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They could just let the toast message stay until it's viewed, and not disappear in 5 seconds. WebOS does this, and it works fairly well.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm not missing a centralized notification menu too terribly, I'm happy with using live tiles.

Although if Microsoft were to add a notification menu (and it has to be added by them), it should be a notification *hub* to keep with the WP7 design. And it will show the number of miss notifications on the live tile and lock screen when you pin the hub to the start screen.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
meh ,

all my the things i can possibly get notification for are pined on my home screen....

wake up phone --> any notification? no ... close phone
wake up phone --> any notification? yes ... slide up and boom all right in my face...

im not sure what you guys are talking about....

you want individual notification for each people (let say posting on FB) ??? so if all 200 of your friends post a status update you wana be able to see them all individually?

F that....

i like seeing you have 4 e-mails , 5 text , 2 miss calls , then click on individual tiles to see them.... pretty simple..

ah well i want my WP7 to **** out GOLD!!! but dont think that would fit with he METRO UI .. :( dam.

goldcrap.jpg

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you ever read people post before you comment. LOL. Didn't think so. Slide up to bottom just to check for notifications? Silly boy. Having to check each individual app for notifications is just dumb.
meh ,

all my the things i can possibly get notification for are pined on my home screen....

wake up phone --> any notification? no ... close phone
wake up phone --> any notification? yes ... slide up and boom all right in my face...

im not sure what you guys are talking about....

you want individual notification for each people (let say posting on FB) ??? so if all 200 of your friends post a status update you wana be able to see them all individually?

F that....

i like seeing you have 4 e-mails , 5 text , 2 miss calls , then click on individual tiles to see them.... pretty simple..

ah well i want my WP7 to **** out GOLD!!! but dont think that would fit with he METRO UI .. :( dam.

goldcrap.jpg

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i do read post , do you ever respect people opinion??? didnt think so.

im 100% happy with the way it works for me and thats what i said..

you think its stupid ? PERFECT . your not happy , I am :)

and even if yoy dint have to click in individual tiles , if u went to the notification page ,, to see the full e-mail /text or w/e it would basically just send you to individual apps any ways .. lol ( so u can see the full e-mail and what not.. )

so seeing the first 3 words of a e-mail . or seeing you have 2 e-mails .. same crap to me any ways..

im happy the way it is.

Last edited:

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Why not just have all notifications appear as mini icons in the lockscreen instead of just sms and emails? that way u know what app is notifying you and doesn't require an entirely new screen

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Been saying this for a little while. What they should do is move the voice commands to the search button when you hold it down and instead replace that. So when you hold down the windows button it brings up a notifications menu kinda like how the app switcher is. That would stick with the theme of wp7 as well.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

JAStark27

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't see it happening. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the live tiles?

How do you figure that? The live tiles that I enjoy are the Weather Channel or the me or a contacts new posts or a boarding pass. Stuff like that. Honestly the message, phone, email ones don't do anything but put a number next to it. So tell me how that defeats the purpose?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of another screen just flip to the left or right similar to Zune favourites

I also like the idea of holding the start button

How would you guys show the notifications via just text or tiles etc thats the big question

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers