Silence & vibrate basic function question

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is it that if vibrate is turned OFF in menu/settings, then you can't set the phone to vibrate from the volume keys...and if vibrate is turned ON in menu/ settings, you can't silence the phone? Being able to set the phone to silence & vibrate from the volume keys is one of the most basic functions of any cell phone.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well WP7 has all those basic functions. The problem is (as you know) it just takes a few more steps to get to each one.

Me personally I never used vibrate with any of the 20+ cell-phones I have had in my lifetime. So I like this idea of just bypassing vibrate completely. I guess this would be an annoyance for anybody who uses all 3 modes on a daily basis.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I never use vibrate either, except when I'm at work or in a quiet place so I know when I'm getting a call or a message. I never thought about it when using any of the other phones I had..its just a basic useful function. Just odd to me that you can't do that on this phone

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Why is it useful? How often do you use silence vs. vibrate? Most people use vibrate even during meetings since silence would cause people to completely miss a call. Only in the most important meetings would you turn on silence, which can be done through settings. It's also not a basic function. At least my Android phone can't do it from the homescreen.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I use vibrate often than the ringer, and to be honest. I have not found the function to be any more of a hassel than my other phones. I just leave the setting to vibrate on, and than I just toggle the volume key in between settings.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It would make sense to be able to choose either from pressing the volume key. Sure, it only eliminates a few extra steps, but deep linking is supposed to be the forte of WP7 so you would almost think it would almost be a no-brained to include it for those who desire that convenience. Think I'm going to submit that as a suggestion for a future update.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I switch daily from vibatre only and ring and vibrate, is very fast and instant.

What I don't like however is that when the phone rings, it vibrate once and keeps ringing and some times I don't hear it.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I switch daily from vibatre only and ring and vibrate, is very fast and instant.

What I don't like however is that when the phone rings, it vibrate once and keeps ringing and some times I don't hear it.

I agree with you completely. About the vibrating THEN ringing, I hated on my old Motorola V600. I find it truly unbelievable that only a handful of manufacturers know how to make a phone vibrate and ring simultaneously (another reason why I loved my Nokia S60 phones).

I've missed more than one call because of the less than stellar vibrating function.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I too would like to have it have the third option of silent, vibrate, vibrate+ring from the volume control drop down. Most of my phones over the past 10 years have had this function (mostly Motorola).

Scott

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah because I had it vibrant and I don't know if it's a text or notification since I have my phone on a pouch most of the time. I hope my next phone have that.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is it useful? How often do you use silence vs. vibrate? Most people use vibrate even during meetings since silence would cause people to completely miss a call. Only in the most important meetings would you turn on silence, which can be done through settings. It's also not a basic function. At least my Android phone can't do it from the homescreen.

What you said is exactly what I'm saying.. I don't like my phone to vibrate normally, so I have it turned off in menus/settings. But because of that, I can't quickly set my phone to silence & vibrate from the volume buttons when Im at work or in a quiet situation. So I HAVE to use just silence because it's my only option. And as you said, its kinda pointless. Unless of course I unlock my phone, go to settings, go to ringtones and sounds, select vibrate for calls and notifications, close out of settings, THEN use the volume keys to put the phone on silence & vibrate. But I'm not gonna do that every single time... Its not so much that you can't do that (in the midst of all the things this phone can do) that annoys me, its just such a basic simple function most phones have. ...and it leaves me thinking, "why, WHy, WHY??!"

Last edited:

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
seems like a harmless enough option to enable in the future.

I use Ring and Vibrate since when I am in meetings, I want to know if I get a call without bothering anyone, so a simple reduction in volume is perfect for me.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I use vibrate often than the ringer, and to be honest. I have not found the function to be any more of a hassel than my other phones. I just leave the setting to vibrate on, and than I just toggle the volume key in between settings.

Same here but when I turn the volume off before going into court when I silence the volume the vibrate is still audible and then most of the time it takes me a while to remember to turn the volume back up. Its a problem I have had with all my smartphones. Or at this point maybe its just another memory issue (mine) Or maybe my smartphone is smarter than I am!

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Think about it people. On my 6+ year old Motorola feature phone I can go between silent/vibrate with the volume hardware control. There should be an equivalent on the touchscreen at least, since nobody puts hardware buttons on smartphones anymore.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
yes, it should be just one more press on the vibrate/ring drop-down at the top. It will be suggested to the phone team, but we're all well aware it isn't there right now.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My point is a smartphone should not take away functionality that dumbphones have. Remember it's a phone first, pocket PC second. It seems the entire industry is forgetting that.

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm a noob in terms of WP. Sorry to post in such an old thread, but I believe it is relevant to my question.

It is been a while since the last post.. I'd like ask if anyone knows any apps/ toggle or shortcut that can help us with vibrate on/ off and silent on/ off??

And if there is a way to set different alert tone for different apps.. like differentiating between Message, FB message, WhatsApps etc? And if we can set the vibrate setting for each of these as well??

Thank you'

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm a noob in terms of WP. Sorry to post in such an old thread, but I believe it is relevant to my question.

It is been a while since the last post.. I'd like ask if anyone knows any apps/ toggle or shortcut that can help us with vibrate on/ off and silent on/ off??

And if there is a way to set different alert tone for different apps.. like differentiating between Message, FB message, WhatsApps etc? And if we can set the vibrate setting for each of these as well??

Thank you'

Hi welcome to wp7..but sorry there is absolutely nothing you can do. There is an update coming in about a year that may address these issues... Until then you can set a different tone for email, 1 for all text, and 1 for all notifications (e-mail, FB...) will be the same tone. As for vibrate...you get 'on or off'. Hope this helps!

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi welcome to wp7..but sorry there is absolutely nothing you can do. There is an update coming in about a year that may address these issues... Until then you can set a different tone for email, 1 for all text, and 1 for all notifications (e-mail, FB...) will be the same tone. As for vibrate...you get 'on or off'. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. Oh okk.. I just have to live with it.. while waiting for the update :cool:

Berls

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I never use vibrate either, except when I'm at work or in a quiet place so I know when I'm getting a call or a message. I never thought about it when using any of the other phones I had..its just a basic useful function. Just odd to me that you can't do that on this phone
I agree with you completely, jdd77. The fact that there is no easy way to switch between ring and vibrate (the two modes I use most frequently) is one of my few annoyances with Windows Phone. I do this several times a day -- eight touches each time. Very frustrating, and silly that it's not taken into account. Even a Live Tile app to get to ringtones+sounds would be a big help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs