Good time? Bad time?

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using a rooted HTC Droid Incredible, and I've been looking through all the wonderful features that WP7 and WP7.5 bring to the corporate field. I'm always on my Xbox, I've always supported Zune + Zune Player.... I have Netflix, I've gone through plenty of Microsoft PC's and laptops. I'm actually currently running Win8 developer preview on my laptop right now as I type this.

My question is, even though hearsay that the HTC Trophy on Verizon is a bit out dated and there really isn't much to go on for new phones right now. Is right now a good time to switch to WP7 or a bad time? I see all the complaints, and all the negativity that people seem well open enough to share with the rest of this community... So I'm kind of taking a step back and seeing both sides of this.

What do you have to say?
Good? Bad?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Let me start off by saying that I've already talked my sister into buying a Trophy and she loves it, though she still comes to me with the occasional complaint. However, I wouldn't suggest the Trophy to everyone this close to the release of the next generation of Windows Phone. The phone itself isn't terrible--it is pretty zippy, feels good in the hand, and isn't hard to look at. However, it was already old when it was release, and that was already almost a year ago. If you were to buy it, I would strongly suggest getting it for dirt cheap ( Amazon had it for a penny, but I'm not sure if that still stands) or off-contract. If you get it for less than $100, then having to pay that little extra for an early upgrade won't feel so bad. Of course, if you buy it off-contract, you could upgrade at any time. If you don't want either of those options, then I would suggest hiding yourself from all cell phone news in the next two years. :-D

Sent using Board Express.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That is the big issue, isn't it. "The new generation", since Mango was just openly released and everything, a new wave of phones should be popping up. The question is, are these phones going to be popping up in 2-3 months? 6-8 months? Next year? I've had my Incredible for a year now, and I love it... but lately, I've been going through all the WP7.5 features, and the look and feel... all the ups and downs of the OS basically. I really enjoy the minimalistic Metro UI (half the time I use the Metro Launcher on my DInc). The responsiveness of everything also goes hand in hand with the UI, I'm just genuinely starting to like WP7.5.

That's just how corporate goes... I could pick up the Trophy tomorrow and knowing my luck that a new phone is announced and is going to be released in the next month or so that I could of waited out for. It happened with my DInc, I bought the DInc just shy of the DInc 2 release.... really bad timing.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest holding out a few weeks until after Nokia World. There should be at least one other handset available then!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
... I could pick up the Trophy tomorrow and knowing my luck that a new phone is announced and is going to be released in the next month or so that I could of waited out for...

Technology moves fast. What is the latest and greatest today, isn't the latest and greatest 4 to 6 months from now. Do what Pronk says, wait until after Nokia World.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would go for one off ebay if you are not too keen on the Trophy hardware. That way you get it cheap and enjoy WP7 while the wait goes on for a new CDMA 7.5 device. Earliest rumours put anything from Nokia coming to the US at Q1 2012 and only vague rumours of anything else coming earlier, and knowing the reluctance of Sprint & VZW to support WP7 it will probably be right at the end of that period. I have 2 work colleagues who have the Trophy, its a nice, compact handset and works as well as any other current handset.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
new phones are starting to roll out , id wait.

or cheap price on kijiji or e-bay or something like 1Jaxstate1 said, dotn waist an update when u have new phones comming any day now.

I see all the complaints, and all the negativity that people seem well open enough to share with the rest of this community... So I'm kind of taking a step back and seeing both sides of this.

GRrRRRrRRRRR!!! :S

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
GhoulPhreak, I am in the same boat as you. The Trophy is currently listed at $29 bucks for the next 2 days on Verizon with free shipping. Thats hard to pass up! I can deal with the trophy, its not much worse than the iPhone4 spec wise. My biggest concearn is when tango or the next OS comes out, will the trophy recieve it?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. I wonder how long MS plans to support 1st Gen Hardware. I haven't seen/heard anyone ask this.
GhoulPhreak, I am in the same boat as you. The Trophy is currently listed at $29 bucks for the next 2 days on Verizon with free shipping. Thats hard to pass up! I can deal with the trophy, its not much worse than the iPhone4 spec wise. My biggest concearn is when tango or the next OS comes out, will the trophy recieve it?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think MS / Nokia are planning on going after the low end market so I would bet that everyone will get tango. But eventually I would think they have to drop support for older phones. They haven't committed to anything yet.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Amazon still has them for a penny. I wonder if it'd be worth buying it now for a penny, then buying a better phone full price and putting it on the contract once it becomes available. It is almost like buying two half-price phones.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Those full price phones can cost a pretty penny. Upwards of 600 bucks.
Looks like Amazon still has them for a penny. I wonder if it'd be worth buying it now for a penny, then buying a better phone full price and putting it on the contract once it becomes available. It is almost like buying two half-price phones.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Those full price phones can cost a pretty penny. Upwards of 600 bucks.

True. I forgot that WPCentral just posted a leaked image with the prices of those new Samsung phones. The Focus S is said to go for $649. I guess it would be better to get it for $300 on eBay and then get a $200 dollar upgrade when a new phone comes out.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
CDMA phones are probably early next year as my guess. If they come out earlier I would be surprised. Have not even heard rumors of CDMA phones besides something from LG in the FCC system. I would bet that all windows 7.x phones will be Single Core. When MS releases Win8 they will adopt Dual core phones. So in my mind, grabbing a old launch win7 phone will not be as bad as trying to keep a 1 year old Android phone on the newest OS versions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes