MS Should Open Up Hubs and Spokes

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If MS really wanted to distinguish WP from iOS and Android, they should solicit certain developers to work on spokes of hubs rather than apps. For example, MS should work with Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, LinkedIn, etc. to work on spokes of the People hub. Give users the ability to add whatever spokes they use and arrange them in priority order. Then users could open up people hub and swipe left and right between services.

As another example, MS should work with Last.FM, Spotify, Slacker, Pandora, YouTube (Google, yeah, right), Vimeo, Hulu, Facebook videos, etc. to develop spokes of the Music & Video hub. They could probably separate them into a Music hub and a Video hub.

For the Pictures hub, they could have spokes for Flickr, Photobucket, Kodak Easyshare (or whatever it's called), Facebook albums, etc.

I like the idea of the hubs, but they don't really take full advantage of the features it could provide. The hub-and-spoke design could make a lot of apps obsolete.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
that is a very interesting idea...

so, I'm not 100% sold on it at this point yet but, my initial feeling is that this seems like a good idea that could fit nicely into the WP concept.

phoney

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I think wp7 does support that. The problem is the content providers don't want to use it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I honestly like the way the hubs are already set up. However...

I really wish I could make an app that was a hub. Say I wanted to make a media hub. Each of the spokes could be a different app and each day or week, each one could get updated showing some interesting content that is happening on that app. For instance, I'd have YouTube spoke, Last.fm spoke, and a VEVO spoke. On the YT spoke, it could have a video of the day and then some stories about what's happening on YT and then at the bottom it could have a "don't have this app?" button. Each one of the options would open deeper into the actual YouTube app when chosen (like directly to the video). The same with Last.fm. It could have an artist of the week, song of the day, and album of the month. VEVO could be very similar as well. It'd totally work, but I don't think MS allows apps to open inside of other apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6