Huge phantom data usage on Mango.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Four days away from month end and I am at 237MB, which is about where I have been every month for the past 8 months (250-300MB), with NoDo, Mango beta and now Mango. Have an unlimited plan, but I keep WiFi on 24/7 because the speed is better. I have WiFi at home and at the office, so most of the data is for background tasks or when I am out an about.

For clarification, I have 2 push email accounts, another account that syncs every hour and a Yahoo account that syncs every 30 minutes. I have at least 10 live tile, several which have been updated to Mango, with flipping tiles. I have 5 background apps, none of which do anything more often than once every 30 minutes. I use Facebook and Twitter with the People hub. I have 180 apps/games installed and look for/update apps almost every day. So I don't know where your extra data usage is coming from, but in my case at least, there has been zero change with Mango.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
this is exactly why I have yearning for a way to COMPLETELY controlled which
apps get to access the net and when. Also we REALLY need a way to get a report of how much bandwidth each APPs is eating...

It is our phone, our batery, and our money we're paying for our ISP ... why can't we control what we own and we pay.

please microsoft.. We used to (kind of) be able to do this with WM6..
This is what I hate most by going the apple way.. too much controll.. less power to the users... We want control

We want a way to set our static IPs, VPN, notification sounds, sideload apps.
We want control!!!

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Right. I reinstalled mango at the weekend and have had no unexplained data munching so far. I can only speculate about the excess usage and have no evidence to point a finger at anything, but here is my list of suspects. I repeat this is all totally unfounded guesswork but these are the changes i have made:

made sure i'm not connected to xbox, zune, and not logged into MSN Messenger. Facebook chat is off in the messaging hub. Apps that can run in the background that i have not reinstalled: accuweather, i'm a wp7, wpcentral (sorry) orange daily, guardian.

I'm on a process of elimination appwise and have not yet found any particular cause for the data use, but it does seem to have stopped now.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Right. I reinstalled mango at the weekend and have had no unexplained data munching so far. I can only speculate about the excess usage and have no evidence to point a finger at anything, but here is my list of suspects. I repeat this is all totally unfounded guesswork but these are the changes i have made:

made sure i'm not connected to xbox, zune, and not logged into MSN Messenger. Facebook chat is off in the messaging hub. Apps that can run in the background that i have not reinstalled: accuweather, i'm a wp7, wpcentral (sorry) orange daily, guardian.

I'm on a process of elimination appwise and have not yet found any particular cause for the data use, but it does seem to have stopped now.
Not trying to sound too cynical here, but at this point, why don't you just put your phone in a drawer and call it a day. Realize you are wanting to get to the bottom of your data snatching, but you have removed all the joy that is Windows Phone. Hope you can start using it again soon.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
i've only 'removed the joy' because i don't want to use up my monthly data in a week without actually doing anything. Easy enough for people not having problems to make a smug comment like that.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Location Services turned on? Find my phone features turned on? Feedback using cellular turned on? Checking for phone updates via cellular turned on? The only 'phantom usage' that has been discovered is yahoo mail

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss