Windows Live ID changed - Reset Phone?

error-

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I changed the name of my Windows Live ID (using the website) and now it looks like my WP7 isn't able to log in anymore. Will I have to reset my phone to fix this? And if so, can I run a backup of the phone before the reset (using Zune) to save my data? Or will I not be able to put that back on the phone once I reset it?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

The only way to change the live ID first used on your WP7 is to reset it. :(

Resetting your phone will wipe everything and I don't think you will be able to install your backup to a phone with a different Live ID as all your previous app purchases are tied to a specific Live ID.

As far as i know, that's how it works error-.

A few months ago I changed the Live ID associated with my Xbox Live gamertag and everything remained the same, but that was done on the Xbox console.

Can't remember what happened on my phone now actually, if i had to reset or not but all my previous apps that I purchased remained OK, I didn't have to purchase them again.

I think i have just contradicted myself with what i said LOL

Last edited:

error-

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Well the thing is it is still the same Live ID, just with a new login name. So theoretically my purchases, contacts and so on should carry over. I'm just worried about things like my app settings and sms messages, which aren't saved in the cloud as far as I know...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes i know what you mean error- i'm not sure to be honest, never restored a backup in that situation, maybe someone who has, would be more in a position to verify all would be well or not.

If i had to reset my phone after my Live ID change, i'd just install everything again, i never restore from a backup, i seem to like to do things the hard way.

Hopefully someone who has, will pop in and confirm everthing will be OK or not for you.

(Apologies, i have been no help whatsoever to you LOL)

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had my LiveID change (it was a gmail address then I had it switched to hotmail) and I reset my phone just to be sure. Apps and downloads were still associated with the account, so you'll be able to redownload everything again.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Resets are somewhat painful, but not the end of the world. I have done four since last November, 3 planned and 1 not. Yes, you will lost things like messaging threads and app settings, but if you plan well it won't be too bad and could actually be refreshing, having a freshly cleaned device.

I have a OneNote notebook with all my app purchases and key settings/links recorded along with several apps that offer Dropbox/SkyDrive backup so not all that much gets lost after a reset. Also good it I choose to migrate to a new phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo