wp7 battery?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The battery isn't bad, but for a phone that doesn't power a super-colorful screen I think it could be better. There's only a small amount of data being used, as it doesn't have one of those android HTC clocks where its constantly searching location and updating weather. I read somewhere wp7 phones got lower mAh batteries than other smartphones on the market so maybe that's it. Compared to an android phone, which powers 7 home screens and has a ton of stuff constantly going on under the hood, wp7 battery life is about the same.. Which doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How long is your battery lasting. Might be a bad battery. I'm a heavy user, real heavy. I get 10 hours of battery life, with the light them, 5 background apps, 3 email accounts [1 set up for push, 1 check every 30 minutes, the other hourly].

I must add that I'm using a Focus with a SAMOLED screen.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Not saying the battery life is terrible, just don't understand why its the same or at times worse than something that uses way more power and data. And I don't understand why wp7 got lower mAh batteries than your standard smartphone. Maybe lower cost reasons?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Window OS phones have never been great with battery life. My last phone, a Palm Treo Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1 would go 10 hours on a charge with a 1500mah battery and moderate use. At first I always carried a spare battery, then I upgraded to an extended life battery 3500mah.

On the other hand, my Nokia N8 with Symbian^3 OS and a 1200mah battery can easily go 2 days without a charge.

So far my Trophy seems to have pretty good battery life. I can go 10 hours without a problem and haven't even thought of carrying a spare battery for it. So to me it seems that WP7 is much better with battery life than Windows Mobile 6.1.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Mine lasts all day with power to spare and I am in and have been in the habit of overnight charging everynight so I continue to do that just in case have a usb car charger and extra usb cable at the office with my laptop so I am covered

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I usually get about 16-18hrs on a full charge during moderate to heavy usage. I got 27hrs on Fri with moderate use, the most I've ever went without needing to charge.

backlight set to 30sec
Gmail as they come in
Checked Weave and WP7 news every hour
Browsing WPC
60-70 texts back and forth on regular messaging and about another 30 on Whatsapp
Running Mixtape for about an hour
Checked people hub about every hour or so
Used Cocktail Flow all night (i work at a liquor store part time)

I was already impressed with the battery life prior to this but Friday was was extremely impressed. Granted we were kinda busy so the phone was not in my hands as often but as soon as the rush died out I went back to the phone and played. I think I get cravings to scroll just to look at the tiles.

I restart my phone once a day out of habit of owning a Blackberry Curve and a Palm Pre + so I'm not sure if the great battery life has anything to do with the restarts. Generally I restart the phone once I plug it in to recharge at night, not sure why I do it but I do.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
??? that's crazy, rump roast..lol. What kinda phone do you have? I charge my phone every night, do very minimal texting and even less talking on the phone, have no apps running in the background, have my email accounts set to sync manually, 1 active tile (people), very light internet browsing and gaming, and only use the music player when the mood strikes me. Yet the battery is just ok..its not excellent and its not terrible but there's not even a super-coloful screen to power either. Do you think if I turned location off?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting a solid 6-7 hours out of my trophy. I'm using it pretty much the same as I have since I got it. The original battery went out a couple of weeks ago so I have a new one. I'm going to call Verizon and talk to them tomorrow.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Battery life is pretty much an afterthought for the typical cell phone manufacturer today. All the emphasis is on the biggest, baddest tech they can cram in. My DVP has now turned into basically a candle, I'm lucky if I get through to the afternoon before needing to plug it in, if I dont it wont last me till the end of the day. And of course no chance of an extented battery for it from Dell or any 3rd party. Just another reason to look forward to a Nokia WP7 device.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is pretty much an afterthought for the typical cell phone manufacturer today. All the emphasis is on the biggest, baddest tech they can cram in. My DVP has now turned into basically a candle, I'm lucky if I get through to the afternoon before needing to plug it in, if I dont it wont last me till the end of the day. And of course no chance of an extented battery for it from Dell or any 3rd party. Just another reason to look forward to a Nokia WP7 device.

this is the thing I don't get..wp7 isn't the biggest and baddest and besides a touch screen, there's really nothing its powering. How can the battery life of an Android phone, that powers 7 home screens of a photograph or wallpaper that has thousands of colors, be similar to the battery life of a wp7 phone, that displays 1 screen of tiles of about four or five solid colors?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dunno. My Start screen has 50 tiles, about 18 of them live, and 6 that flip. So with the icons and images on the tiles, I would say I have thousands of color and at least 6 start screens if I scroll down through each block of 8. I keep WiFi and Data on 24/7, have 4 email accounts, all set to automatically receive mail (2 are push). Dozens of texts each day, 1-2 hours of news reading and browsing, occasional phone calls, and whatever else I use my 150 apps for. Usually get through an 18 hour day, but sometimes need a boost when I get home. Would I like a bigger (OEM) battery. Yes. Will I ever get one for my Surround. No. At least you Trophy guys have an option.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
There's an option for a bigger battery? And in the data settings if if I switch to cdma from global would that save battery too?

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
??? that's crazy, rump roast..lol. What kinda phone do you have?

I have a Samsung Focus 1.3. I got 18 tiles on my homepage, 6 that flips. I got 2 email, one push and the other to check every hour. Brightness set to auto. Dark theme with red tiles. The only thing that i have running in the background that I allow is WeatherChannel and Network Dashboard. Other than that I turn the other stuff on as I need them.

Right now according to battery saver I have est time remaining of 3hrs and 13hrs since last charge. I will get another hour added on once battery saver kicks in. I also havent touched the phone in almost 4 hours because wifey and I were watching Transformers 3 and X Men 1st class back to back. I only play with the phone if I'm forced to watch movies I don't want to watch ;)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Trophy.. 18 tiles with most of them being tools, 3 e-mail accounts linked to one tile with 2 being manual sync and one being every half hour. Black background w/ green theme and one social app set to be checked infrequently. I don't watch any movies because it eats up data. I would think my battery would be a little better than it is, but like I said in the beginning of this thread..Wp7 phones are shipped with a lower mAh battery than most other smartphones. If it had a standard battery I think the life on these phones would be excellent.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm up there with RumpRoast on battery life on my HTC Arrive which is 6 months old right now. Emails, texting, listenning to music off and on, checking traffic conditions arond the DC beltway. Ah the life of being a trucker for Fedex out of Dulles.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There's an option for a bigger battery? And in the data settings if if I switch to cdma from global would that save battery too?
Yes, 2250mAh I believe. After market batteries make claims that are usually unsubstantiated, but this is an OEM battery. Verizon sells them.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, 2250mAh I believe. After market batteries make claims that are usually unsubstantiated, but this is an OEM battery. Verizon sells them.

cool, I'll check out Verizon online...there are 7 stores in my general area but not one sells the Trophy..let alone accessories for it.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Try disabling the location services. Also, if you have a poor cellular or data connection it will draw more power. Especially if you are hopping from one tower to another.
You said this is your second battery? Are you confident that the replacement is an OEM battery? Verizon could possible have a crappier version for replacements.
Sometimes it is just the equipment's fault. There is always a bad one every so often.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
No..Im using the original battery. Someone else in this forum said they were using a second battery and jimski suggested to me that Verizon has another battery and I said I would check that out. The point I was trying to make in beginning of forum was that there is so much less on wp7 than android so I couldn't figure out why battery life is about the same on both platforms. (not that either platform is better than the other)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo