10-27-2011 06:29 PM
201 ... 45678 ...
tools
    i dont understand why dont they have front facing cameras? or something else i really expected more. i got a feeling there will be more tomorrow. i hope. the lumia 800 is a nice phone but theres no reason why it couldnt have had a front facing camera and expandable memory. either why if thats what i have to settle for im getting one my next upgrade cause there def coming to a cdma network so theres a chance its coming to sprint and that design is to sexy to pass up!
    I am surprised it doesn't have a FFC either. My Nokia N8 has a FFC and video calling was available on the Orange network in France, so my wife and I had fun playing with it when we were in France.

I think the expandable memory issue is a Microsoft issue. It seems Microsoft doesn't want WP7 phones with expandable memory. At least from what I have read.
    10-26-2011 07:40 AM
    You are cracking me up this morning Pronk! :lol:
    It is pretty funny. But at the same time, these guys have had ages to come up with killer hardware and all we've got so far is the reheated corpse of the N9 and "my first smartphone" (Ages 4+ and up). It's just as well the N9 died young and left such a good-looking corpse or this would have been a complete blow-out.

After all, It's not just Nokia's future riding on this - a lot of the potential success of WP7 is tied to what they can do too.
    palandri and DontHate707 like this.
    10-26-2011 07:46 AM
    It is pretty funny. But at the same time, these guys have had ages to come up with killer hardware and all we've got so far is the reheated corpse of the N9 and "my first smartphone" (Ages 4+ and up). It's just as well the N9 died young and left such a good-looking corpse or this would have been a complete blow-out.

After all, It's not just Nokia's future riding on this - a lot of the potential success of WP7 is tied to what they can do too.
    I agree!
    10-26-2011 07:54 AM
    I am surprised it doesn't have a FFC either. My Nokia N8 has a FFC and video calling was available on the Orange network in France, so my wife and I had fun playing with it when we were in France.

I think the expandable memory issue is a Microsoft issue. It seems Microsoft doesn't want WP7 phones with expandable memory. At least from what I have read.
    the n9 originally came with a ff camera too, its kinda stupid....
    10-26-2011 07:58 AM
    Bah! Nothing for America. :(

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully they're saving the best for later today.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 10-26-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    10-26-2011 08:08 AM

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully their saving the best for later today.

Same here a little bit upset the 800 lucks amazing though. I think since Nokia was working on this way before MS bought SKYPE they just didn't have time to incorporate it. I went and bought used HD7 to hold me down. I'm hoping in Feb during MWC we will see the so called "Nokia Ace" Which will me next phone.
    10-26-2011 08:12 AM
    imo they are still two really good phones when you consider the fact that they are NOT the best phones that Nokia plan to release.

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully their saving the best for later today.
    I agree. Mid range and low end phones don't cut it. They need a top of the line phone.
    Compared to the N9, the Nokia 800 get's crushed, all around. Bad Nokia, Bad!
    10-26-2011 08:17 AM
    My daughter would really like that blue one, but I am underwhelmed. There is still another day right? Maybe they will still surprise us with something we haven't seen already? I don't understand how these enormous, wildly successful companies (Nokia, RIM, Palm) completely blow their big chance like this. They've had way too much time and hype and buld-up to release rehashed hardware. The only thing I can think of is that there are way too many people involved in the decision making process in a company this big, and consequently, you have a bunch of non-risk takers insisting on going with things that have worked for them in the past.

Maybe the performance will be a mind blower. I don't know. My year-old focus with (slightly lower) last year's specs has pretty good performance already. I think maybe I will go back to eyeballing that HTC Titan. :p
    10-26-2011 08:21 AM
    My daughter would really like that blue one, but I am underwhelmed. There is still another day right? Maybe they will still surprise us with something we haven't seen already?
    And that, in a nutshell, is what the worry is here. Will people like the hardware because it's truly dazzling? The way it really shows off WP7? The Nokia-specific features that really add a ton of value? Or will they just want "the blue one"?

Because if you're a high-end user, a businessman/woman, a student who needs a workhorse etc., you're probably not going to make your choice based on whether it's a nice shade of cobalt or not.
    10-26-2011 08:26 AM
    Now imagine that phone with the dark theme and another colour. Instant epilepsy!

Or, what Nokia have done is effectively make even the limited customisation you can do in WP7 impossible.

I dunno about Fisher Price. Lego, maybe! Or this, which is my daughter's toy phone:

Mobile Phone : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

It's quite a disturbing resemblance!
    Nokia Lumia 710 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

this toy way better than your daughters toy :P
    i'll be glad to have nokia with wp7 toy any day :happy:
    10-26-2011 08:43 AM
    I was underwhelmed here as well. The fact that the phones were leaked didn't help, but, whatever. Here's to 2012 and a real flagship device!
    10-26-2011 08:46 AM
    To be honest, I'd go for a black 710 with a blue cover IF it had more memory. I can't do 8gb. The 800 is something I've ALWAYS wanted so that's a no brainer even with the lack of FFC (Like I knew it would be....no one said anything about one before the announcement).
    10-26-2011 08:57 AM
    I've just noticed - neither the 800 or 710 have the "[+] Windows Phone" logo anywhere. That's a first for WP7 handsets I think?
    10-26-2011 09:13 AM
    That looks pretty good with the matching tile theme. With matching back covers, I can see this selling. Looks like a phone that's been sent in to colorware.

i love the colors of the phone
    cedarlog likes this.
    10-26-2011 09:16 AM
    Yeah I think the price will be the biggest selling point overseas.
    10-26-2011 09:23 AM
    I hate to be negative butt unless Nokia has some stellar mystery devices yet to be shown, I think everyone that was hinging everything on Nokia to be WP7's knight in shinning armor can let out a sigh of disapointment. I was hoping to wake up this morning and see something awesome on the front page of wpcentral. I've never been a Nokia fan but was interested in seeing what's around the corner.
    textomatic likes this.
    10-26-2011 10:15 AM
    Surprised to see such negativity. I think what's being expressed here is the typical "better hardware make a better phone" mentality when previously hardware was discounted when compared to android phones. Maybe its the American viewpoint, but I can see the 800 selling gangbusters because of the Nokia brand, excellent camera, fantastic screen and build quality, marketing and most important, price. These are going for free on contract and personally compared to the other Mango handsets the 800 really stands out. There also seems to be a substantial amount of support from European carriers which has not been seen with any other WP7 device, which is also vital. E.G.: http://wmpoweruser.com/vodafone-uk-t...e-60-vouchers/

The 710 at 270 Euros, replacable back covers will sell to those looking for a cheaper, colourful phone, but also wanting a quality Nokia camera device. Probably wont have the expensive data plan required to to all that video calling so FFC wont be missed.

Crucially though, this is only the start. HTC and Samsung have laid out their stalls for teh next year, we wont see anything else from them but Nokia will continue to release devices with different form factors, reaching new markets and all that combined will do exactly what Nokia and Microsoft want, to increase sales. Once that goal is achieved and mindshare and marketshare picks up, then even more goodness will be unleashed.
    Last edited by theefman; 10-26-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    10-26-2011 10:26 AM
    For me, its not so much better hardware make a better phone. First and for most I go by the phones and OS's appearance. If I'm gonna be looking at this phone for the next year I want an attractive phone. All Windows Phones are gonna have similar specs. The phones that Nokia have shown just didn't have the wow factor that set em apart from others. But for the past 6-8 months people have been hyping up that Nokia is the game changer. Just didn't see that with these phones. But for others, they might be great.
    10-26-2011 10:34 AM
    I think that many of us in the U.S. that are WP7 fans where hoping for a Nokia phone that is full featured in specs and also beautifull to hold and show. It's hard to convince your friends to jump on the WP7 bandwaggon when your phone has a smaller screen, no front facing camera like most of the top of the line Androids have. Forget the iPhone peeps. They are so deep rooted in that ecosystem it would take an act of God to make them switch. But I was hoping for a phone that was the Bugatti of smarts phones. Instead I saw a couple of Volkswaggon.
    10-26-2011 10:39 AM
    What exactly would provide the wow factor? I dont consider the 710 as anything special but the 800 is basically an N9 and that has been praised for its design and build. Nothing so far from any other WP7 OEM has been as well received so I wonder what exactly it is that is lacking.
    10-26-2011 10:39 AM
    I can't speak for everyone, but my issue with the announcement is that the phones seem like devices that could've come out earlier this year, or late last year and been awesome. The thing is, these phones won't even be hitting the US until next year, and in the case of the 800 that is a maybe. So now add an additional year on top of the year behind it already is, and we've once again got a new WP7 device that doesn't feel very new at all.

I have an HD7s, the 800 isn't a whole lot better in terms of functionality or specs. If I were going to upgrade my device I would want a stellar phone that will be able to take advantage of Tango/Apollo (**** use all the functionality of Mango which, without a front facing camera, these don't) without needing to upgrade in another year. These phones, are not the phones I was looking for.

Color me slightly disappointed. Only slightly because I've seen Microsoft employees playing with these phones on the bus for a couple weeks now, so I knew they weren't stellar...I was just hoping there was a third phone in the wings that they were going to knock [my] socks off with.

At this rate, I'll be waiting till Apollo to update my device, which is fine I guess. I'm happy with my HD7s.
    Last edited by Shippin; 10-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    10-26-2011 11:10 AM
    Right, that's all it was. A 710 and a N9. So for WP7, which Nokia said they are betting the house on, all they did was release a WP7 N9. Nothing new. I think that's what people are disappointed in.
    What exactly would provide the wow factor? I dont consider the 710 as anything special but the 800 is basically an N9 and that has been praised for its design and build. Nothing so far from any other WP7 OEM has been as well received so I wonder what exactly it is that is lacking.
    10-26-2011 11:19 AM
    Right, that's all it was. A 710 and a N9. So for WP7, which Nokia said they are betting the house on, all they did was release a WP7 N9. Nothing new. I think that's what people are disappointed in.
    Remember, this is their first release. Look at the reception from operators in Europe, Xbox deals, good pricing, coupons - none of this has been done for any other WP7 handset. This is likely their foot in the door release, I doubt in 6 months time these will be their only WP7 handsets. They are leveraging their brand and carrier connections now, and seem to have met with the best reception yet of any WP7 OEM.
    10-26-2011 11:23 AM
201 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD