OFFICIAL Nokia World 2011 Thread.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
0BuTx.jpg

i love the colors of the phone

Now imagine that phone with the dark theme and another colour. Instant epilepsy!

Or, what Nokia have done is effectively make even the limited customisation you can do in WP7 impossible.

I dunno about Fisher Price. Lego, maybe! Or this, which is my daughter's toy phone:

Mobile Phone : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

It's quite a disturbing resemblance!

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i dont understand why dont they have front facing cameras? or something else i really expected more. i got a feeling there will be more tomorrow. i hope. the lumia 800 is a nice phone but theres no reason why it couldnt have had a front facing camera and expandable memory. either why if thats what i have to settle for im getting one my next upgrade cause there def coming to a cdma network so theres a chance its coming to sprint and that design is to sexy to pass up!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
i dont understand why dont they have front facing cameras? or something else i really expected more. i got a feeling there will be more tomorrow. i hope. the lumia 800 is a nice phone but theres no reason why it couldnt have had a front facing camera and expandable memory. either why if thats what i have to settle for im getting one my next upgrade cause there def coming to a cdma network so theres a chance its coming to sprint and that design is to sexy to pass up!

I am surprised it doesn't have a FFC either. My Nokia N8 has a FFC and video calling was available on the Orange network in France, so my wife and I had fun playing with it when we were in France.

I think the expandable memory issue is a Microsoft issue. It seems Microsoft doesn't want WP7 phones with expandable memory. At least from what I have read.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You are cracking me up this morning Pronk! :lol:

It is pretty funny. But at the same time, these guys have had ages to come up with killer hardware and all we've got so far is the reheated corpse of the N9 and "my first smartphone" (Ages 4+ and up). It's just as well the N9 died young and left such a good-looking corpse or this would have been a complete blow-out.

After all, It's not just Nokia's future riding on this - a lot of the potential success of WP7 is tied to what they can do too.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It is pretty funny. But at the same time, these guys have had ages to come up with killer hardware and all we've got so far is the reheated corpse of the N9 and "my first smartphone" (Ages 4+ and up). It's just as well the N9 died young and left such a good-looking corpse or this would have been a complete blow-out.

After all, It's not just Nokia's future riding on this - a lot of the potential success of WP7 is tied to what they can do too.

I agree!

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised it doesn't have a FFC either. My Nokia N8 has a FFC and video calling was available on the Orange network in France, so my wife and I had fun playing with it when we were in France.

I think the expandable memory issue is a Microsoft issue. It seems Microsoft doesn't want WP7 phones with expandable memory. At least from what I have read.

the n9 originally came with a ff camera too, its kinda stupid....

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Bah! Nothing for America. :(

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully they're saving the best for later today.

Last edited:

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully their saving the best for later today.

Same here a little bit upset the 800 lucks amazing though. I think since Nokia was working on this way before MS bought SKYPE they just didn't have time to incorporate it. I went and bought used HD7 to hold me down. I'm hoping in Feb during MWC we will see the so called "Nokia Ace" Which will me next phone.

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
imo they are still two really good phones when you consider the fact that they are NOT the best phones that Nokia plan to release.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

The hardware is really impressive on the 800 but, IMO, it's unacceptable for their flagship WP7 to not have a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype is right around the corner. In fact, I'm surprised Nokia didn't announce some sort of super phone. We basically got a mid-range phone and a low-end phone. Hopefully their saving the best for later today.

I agree. Mid range and low end phones don't cut it. They need a top of the line phone.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My daughter would really like that blue one, but I am underwhelmed. There is still another day right? Maybe they will still surprise us with something we haven't seen already? I don't understand how these enormous, wildly successful companies (Nokia, RIM, Palm) completely blow their big chance like this. They've had way too much time and hype and buld-up to release rehashed hardware. The only thing I can think of is that there are way too many people involved in the decision making process in a company this big, and consequently, you have a bunch of non-risk takers insisting on going with things that have worked for them in the past.

Maybe the performance will be a mind blower. I don't know. My year-old focus with (slightly lower) last year's specs has pretty good performance already. I think maybe I will go back to eyeballing that HTC Titan. :p

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My daughter would really like that blue one, but I am underwhelmed. There is still another day right? Maybe they will still surprise us with something we haven't seen already?

And that, in a nutshell, is what the worry is here. Will people like the hardware because it's truly dazzling? The way it really shows off WP7? The Nokia-specific features that really add a ton of value? Or will they just want "the blue one"?

Because if you're a high-end user, a businessman/woman, a student who needs a workhorse etc., you're probably not going to make your choice based on whether it's a nice shade of cobalt or not.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Now imagine that phone with the dark theme and another colour. Instant epilepsy!

Or, what Nokia have done is effectively make even the limited customisation you can do in WP7 impossible.

I dunno about Fisher Price. Lego, maybe! Or this, which is my daughter's toy phone:

Mobile Phone : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

It's quite a disturbing resemblance!
Nokia Lumia 710 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

this toy way better than your daughters toy :p
i'll be glad to have nokia with wp7 toy any day :happy:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I was underwhelmed here as well. The fact that the phones were leaked didn't help, but, whatever. Here's to 2012 and a real flagship device!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I'd go for a black 710 with a blue cover IF it had more memory. I can't do 8gb. The 800 is something I've ALWAYS wanted so that's a no brainer even with the lack of FFC (Like I knew it would be....no one said anything about one before the announcement).

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've just noticed - neither the 800 or 710 have the "[+] Windows Phone" logo anywhere. That's a first for WP7 handsets I think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)