Ugh....this Tile redraw is driving me crazy....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was just a Windows Phone Mango thing that after adding a lot of tiles to the start screen, scrolling fast causes the icons on the tiles to disappear and the color of your theme is shown instead until they re-draw. After using my Samsung Focus for a sec (running against my HTC Arrive), and finding that the Focus DOES NOT do this (you have to try VERY HARD for it to happen), I've come to the conclusion that it's either an "HTC thing" or a "smaller screen" thing (or even Super AMOLED vs LCD). Either way, it's very annoying and I wish Microsoft would fix it.

I also noticed other weird differences, like slower rotation response on the Focus vs the Arrive. The Arrive is much faster at screen rotation, but the Focus doesn't have the Tile redraw thing.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My Omnia does this, but only if i scroll incredibly fast in which case i could not see what tile was what anyway.

If i scroll at normal speed to fast it doesn't redraw.

It doesn't bother me at all as i never scroll that fast on the home screen.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's worst Mango that it was Mango beta on my Focus. I use to have to do a super fast swipe to see it. But now, I can do a regular swipe and I can see it. MY Focus most definitely does this. It just doesn't bother me that much though.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Playing with my Arrive right now. Can't replicate this.

How many icons are on your homescreen? I have like 20...only three (including people hub) of which are live tiles.

It just drives me crazy, as it appears to be random because some people see (like mentioned with the Focus) and others don't see it. Scrolling at normal speeds produces it for me, whereas on the Focus I'd have to scroll at the speed of light to see it and it drives me crazy personally....

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally I will scroll pretty slowly and it takes about a second or 2 for the tiles to redraw. Agree with jax, it seems to be worse now than in the Mango beta. I saw it a few times on the beta but it happens more often now. Still, this doesn't really bother me.

Occasionally my tiles will be jerky and not scroll smoothly, that is much more annoying to me. But it's also pretty rare.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
For the people that it doesn't happen to....how many tiles are on your screen and how many of them are live tiles? Also, did you done a hard reset or anything, and did you 'force" the update on there? I've tried installing Mango multiple times, and it happens every time.

It is definitely worse with the final Mango build than beta.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
lol this happened to me ONCE on my FOCUS and it was after turning my phone on , it took 2 min for all my tiles to show up properly. 37 tiles

it does do minor re-draw, but by the time my screen stops moving ALL tiles have loaded. and if you blink you dont even notice it :)

(still faster then turning a blackberry on , taking a **** and ordering pizza = total 45min load time )

tiles in order:

Phone - Messaging
F1 2011 Live - F1
Board express - WPcentral
Xbox live - Market place
Hotmail - Noborizaka
Bing is B - People HUB
Super tube - where`s my tims
Settings - IGN
Calander
Pictures
Adobbe reader - Achol in blood ( lol )
All share - IMA Shaking
I.E - Maps
World Mobile - My account
Now
Stars 3d - System info
WAll paper dayly - XDA
PC remote - Office
Netflix - Jack of tool

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
lol my bad.....guess it's just my OCD.

Use to not be a problem so much in Nodo, slightly in Mango Beta, and HORRIBLE in Mango Official. Doesn't effect my co-worker's HD7 because for some reason, the scrolling is slower on his so it NEVER has a change to happen on his. On my Focus, have to scroll at the speed of light to catch it.

Again, I only have like 20 tiles piled, most of which are apps with only 3 lives (People Hub included).

On the upside......at least my Twitter contact Live Tiles are updating faster now lol....guess we can't have a perfect world...

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
how many icons are on your homescreen? I have like 20...only three (including people hub) of which are live tiles.

It just drives me crazy, as it appears to be random because some people see (like mentioned with the focus) and others don't see it. Scrolling at normal speeds produces it for me, whereas on the focus i'd have to scroll at the speed of light to see it and it drives me crazy personally....

*EDIT* just kicked it up to 34. still no redraw

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
so you're saying you can scroll to from normal...to fast..and there is NO re-draw? Wonder if it's device specific.....?

Just retried it. If I scroll at maximum turbo I'm having a seizure on the screen speed the last 4 tiles do it for like a split second. If I scroll and more likely speeds its fine. even at faster scroll.

This kinda reminds me of icon redraw on a pc low on ram or a slower cpu etc

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well it hasn't happened on any other device I've used (HD7 and Samsung Focus) but it happens to me even with just like 20 tiles. And it doesn't happen to the Arrive unit here at Sprint so I wish it could get pinned down to what it is.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My trophy doesn't do it. Pre-mango it did it some, but now I can go to the bottom of my start screen, go to the apps list and go to the bottom and hit the home button and it zooms to the top of the start screen with no redraws.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've placed a bid for a new Arrive on eBay. Maybe it's just my particular phone (has been dropped a few times and a piece is missing from the side) and it's looking like Sprint would make me order one through Assurion anyway....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro