Real disappointed with Nokia. Now to make a choice.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Okay I think I'm flip flopping. I've been looking at these videos and I'm really diggin this phone. It just looks different from any phone out there right now and it looks fun. Still no word on US launch though, so that's still a bummer.

nokia's Channel - YouTube

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally think we might be a little to hard on these current devices considering they went from inception to production in only 8 months. The fact that these came out as well as they did in so short a time is no small feat and buys Nokia a little more time to ramp up the higher end gear while still maintaining a market presence. And it's not like these are the only two handsets on the drawing board. The 900 (Ace) is still yet to come and will hopefully blow the doors off everything else on the market when it does.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
OK, wow, you people need to be a little bit patient here. First off, the 800 may never make it to the US. That being said, let's review a few things with regards to Nokia in general. They have been on their backsides, especially here in the US. They are doing a complete shake up on a scale that we have not seen from a company in a long time. They are puttin a lot on the line placing a bet on Microsoft. Months ago Nokia said that Nokia USA in San Diego was designing devices for the US market. In the Keynote, Stepen Elop said that they were going to be delivering a "portfolio" of devices, including CDMA and LTE, in early 2012. I have a feeling that probably at CES they are going to come into the US Market swinging. The 800 is only a mid-range device. They are redoing how they do business in the US, falling in line with US model that they never went with before. The carriers KNOW as well as we do that Nokia produces some AWESOME hardware. I expect to see them hit both Verizon and ATT at least. I know their reputation for not doing CDMA, but I honestly believe this, much needed, overhaul is going to be a game changer and CDMA is VERY much in play this time around.

Now lets be honest, out side of the relatively small community of tech people, the average person that walks into ATT, or Verizon or best buy, and see the 800, a lot of them are going to walk out with it, just because of the outstanding design and look.

The 710 is showing up on the Nokia USA as coming, and will probably be $99 on contract. Yeah, most of us would not go with this one, but there are is a huge market for the cheap smartphone.

L

lumic

This isn't all Nokia will be bringing, remember that. There's supposed to be 12 Windows Phones next year.

I think this is a great entry, because it brings the same sense of symmetry and professionalism that the iPhone commands. Let's face it - many people out there in fact won't be craving for a 4.3" screen on their first smartphone.

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
<rant>
I still don't understand everyone's obsession in the US about big screens? The Titan's is way too big, I wondered if my Samsung Omnia 7 at 4" was a little too big when I bought it.

For me, 3.7" is just about right.

I'll be able to comfortably reach all the areas of the screen without feeling like I'm stretching but everything on the screen will still be plenty big enough to stop me hitting the wrong button/icon.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the Nokia Lumia 800. None of its 'weak points' effect me and this 'WE NEED AWESOME SPECS FOR A PHONE TO BE CONSIDERED ANY GOOD' culture really winds me up. I blame Android OEMs for that.

</rant>

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm bummed that Nokia didn't announce any concrete plans for USA at Nokia World. That said, they've been saying FROM THE BEGINNING, ever since their first WP7 announcement, that they at most MIGHT launch one WP7 device this year.

They also announced at Nokia World that they plan to make a splash in the USA in early 2012, and it won't be with the Lumia phones.

I certainly can't blame anybody for getting tired of waiting. If I were in the market for a Windows Phone right now, I'd probably go for the Focus S. But don't count Nokia out yet. This is just the very beginning.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
hardrock1a and sharksandwich are right. Patience is key. Nokia did a lot in 8 months and our expectations were a bit high. Hopefully in a couple of months we'll start seeing teasers or leaks for some awesome US Nokia phones.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally think we might be a little to hard on these current devices considering they went from inception to production in only 8 months. The fact that these came out as well as they did in so short a time is no small feat and buys Nokia a little more time to ramp up the higher end gear while still maintaining a market presence. And it's not like these are the only two handsets on the drawing board. The 900 (Ace) is still yet to come and will hopefully blow the doors off everything else on the market when it does.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
hardrock1a and sharksandwich are right. Patience is key. Nokia did a lot in 8 months and our expectations were a bit high. Hopefully in a couple of months we'll start seeing teasers or leaks for some awesome US Nokia phones.

Inception to production in 8 months? The N9 and 603 are out in symbian form. All they did was put a new OS inside. Even less than what apple did with the 4S update. Apple updated everything except the FORM and they got berated on the net.

soulzero

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree Nokia dropped the ball big time. The 800 & 710 are nice and all but their not much different spec wise from all the other current offerings from other manufacturers.
Where is Nokia?s ?Ace? in the hole Phone? Both the Nokia 710 & 800 pale in comparison to the HTC Titan & Samsung Focus S.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thankfully, my current Focus could hold me over until Nokia announces their US lineup.

The vast majority of Nokia's customer base fall into the low/medium-end category. So they really did need to get those devices out ASAP.

I do expect to see at least one high end device at MWC.

Quite frankly, if it was the same as the 800, but with a 4" screen , a FFC, and maybe 32 GB of storage, I'd probably be satisfied.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
<rant>
I still don't understand everyone's obsession in the US about big screens? The Titan's is way too big, I wondered if my Samsung Omnia 7 at 4" was a little too big when I bought it.

For me, 3.7" is just about right.

I'll be able to comfortably reach all the areas of the screen without feeling like I'm stretching but everything on the screen will still be plenty big enough to stop me hitting the wrong button/icon.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the Nokia Lumia 800. None of its 'weak points' effect me and this 'WE NEED AWESOME SPECS FOR A PHONE TO BE CONSIDERED ANY GOOD' culture really winds me up. I blame Android OEMs for that.

</rant>

Do you know how often I miss the little bitty keys on my focus? The screen is so damn small I have a bajillion typing errors. We need bigger screens, it's just too damn hard to hit links when they are 1mm tall so I have to pinch to zoom just so I can open a link. How the **** anyone can use an iphone is beyond me.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the build quality of the phones and/or the looks of the phones...are people out there actually not using a case for your phone? I don't understand how you can walk around risking a drop and not protecting your investment.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the build quality of the phones and/or the looks of the phones...are people out there actually not using a case for your phone? I don't understand how you can walk around risking a drop and not protecting your investment.
My Omnia has been naked since the day I got it, i just hate covers spoiling it's design. Been dropped a couple of times and is none the worse for being naked. :)

I've never ever had any cases on any of my phones, just hate them.

Just a personal thing I guess Pete C. :)

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My Omnia has been naked since the day I got it, i just hate covers spoiling it's design. Been dropped a couple of times and is none the worse for being naked. :)

I've never ever had any cases on any of my phones, just hate them.

Just a personal thing I guess Pete C. :)

I guess it is then. I was looking at how beautiful the Nokia Lumia 800 is and just thinking to myself...that would all be lost on me because I would throw a case on it. That said, it appears the Lumia does come with its own color-matched case (saw it in an unboxing video) so perhaps they made it look good.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess it is then. I was looking at how beautiful the Nokia Lumia 800 is and just thinking to myself...that would all be lost on me because I would throw a case on it. That said, it appears the Lumia does come with its own color-matched case (saw it in an unboxing video) so perhaps they made it look good.
Yeah, although not a coloured 800, the supplied gel case can be seen at the end of this video Pete C.

Nokia Lumia 800 Unboxing ! - YouTube

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon