Why no 32GB?

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
I agree that there's a issue that there isn't a single phone for people that demand large storage. If this is to push SkyDrive it's just retarted imo. 3G networks aren't anywhere near stable enough to make that work atm..

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think its a cost vs return thing. They have to compete with the likes of the iPhone and army of Android devices. I think the smaller memory sizes is mainly to keep costs down so they can compete on a price point level with other smartphones. I think that will change tho in the next few generations of WP7 devices with memory doubling.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think its a cost vs return thing. They have to compete with the likes of the iPhone and army of Android devices. I think the smaller memory sizes is mainly to keep costs down so they can compete on a price point level with other smartphones. I think that will change tho in the next few generations of WP7 devices with memory doubling.

You hit the point. They are planning to make the manufacturing cost below 200 bucks. I read that news somewhere.

It's definitely played out by now, when both Apple and IBM are more valuable as tech companies by market capitalization

Quite true, but they still have a ton of cash on hand and the company is quite healthy financially. Market capitalization is more about the fad I suppose...

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
You hit the point. They are planning to make the manufacturing cost below 200 bucks. I read that news somewhere.

Quite true, but they still have a ton of cash on hand and the company is quite healthy financially. Market capitalization is more about the fad I suppose...

Apple has more cash on hand than Microsoft as well.

Market capitalization isn't a fad, it's what the market says a company's equity is worth.

Typing M$ for Microsoft is simply juvenile and pass?

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple has more cash on hand than Microsoft as well.

Market capitalization isn't a fad, it's what the market says a company's equity is worth.

Typing M$ for Microsoft is simply juvenile and pass?

Why oh why? Market capitalization is about equity(securities) => opinions. Real worth? No one can tell. Especially on the goodwill part.

Fine, juvenile is a good thing, old man. ;)

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Why oh why? Market capitalization is about equity(securities) => opinions. Real worth? No one can tell. Especially on the goodwill part.

Fine, juvenile is a good thing, old man. ;)

Apple has less than $1B of goodwill, compared to MSFT at over $12B

Apple's book equity (Fundamental liquidation value of the company, not an opinion) is over $15B more than MSFT.

Being juvenile is one thing, being ignorant and annoying is another

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
For the price point on MicroSD cards, is there really a difference in large scale whole sale pricing between 16Gb and 32Gb? I see there is in the retail chain but in the OEM market, really, is it more than a few cents?

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
With the screens of these phones getting bigger, it only means people will be putting more videos on their phones. MS should consider making more phones that are 16 Gigs and more if the screen is 3.7" and bigger.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple has less than $1B of goodwill, compared to MSFT at over $12B

Apple's book equity (Fundamental liquidation value of the company, not an opinion) is over $15B more than MSFT.

Being juvenile is one thing, being ignorant and annoying is another

wow, not the attack is on.

so you are saying I can't call M$ rich just because someone else is richer?

being an old man is one thing, being a sarcastic arrogant dude is another.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Skydrive, Shmydrive. Just got back from a 5 day trip, no way any kind of streaming is anywhere close to a viable solution. I also dont believe cost is a factor at all, flash memory has been around for ages and 32GB is not that much considering it probably fits on one die and can allow for smaller device cases which all goes towards lowering the cost to manufacturer. There is also the option to have tiered pricing from 8-32 GB allowing OEM's to sell the lower capacity devices in huge quantities and the higher price of the higher capacity devices compensates for their comparitively lower sales.

I think a $199-250 32GB WP7 device will sell much better than the $99 8GB crap we have anyway based on current consumer expectations so these stingy WP7 OEM's arent doing themselves or the platform any favours. Its also worthy to note that the Fujitsu handset in Japan has 32GB and the Dell Venue Pro had a limited run of 32GB devices so its certainly possible if an OEM wants to do it.

tsaunders80

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thats the best part about WP7! you don't need 32 GB's to store a bloated OS like android!

If you don't have an unlimited data plan you do. As nice as it is to stream from Zune it eats away at your data for the month. If I have the space I can download the songs and just play them. Same for movies.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats the best part about WP7! you don't need 32 GB's to store a bloated OS like android!
Completely irrelevant as Internal Memory does not have much to do with how much GB's a Device has.

Actually, since the Titan's 16GB card only has 12.6GB of available storage, with the other 20%+ being used by the WP7 OS, it is, unfortunately, very relevant for WP7. We need more storage even more than the other OSes that don't marry the file storage space with the OS as WP7 does.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Someone needs to push the envelope. I have a feeling Nokia could be our friend in making 32GB+ storage happen with their next gen of WPs.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Aren't there hacks out there on installing a newer higher capacity card on our phones? I believe I read one somewhere about installing a 32Gb card in my Arrive or other similar 1st gen WP7 phone. I do really kinda miss the external card slots. Back when I carried a PDA and kept my phones separate, I always went with the devices that had dual slots. My first was an HP unit with SD/CF slots and I ended with my Axims with SD/CF slots and I always carried the maximum allowed size in each slot.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Aren't there hacks out there on installing a newer higher capacity card on our phones? I believe I read one somewhere about installing a 32Gb card in my Arrive or other similar 1st gen WP7 phone. ...

There's a few threads here about it and some picture threads about it over at xda. It's not too difficult to do. Of course you void your warranty doing it.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Warranty isn't an issue with me on this phone. I got it as a warranty exchange/upgrade on my TP2 from Sprint. I'm actually still able to "upgrade" to a new phone until the end of the year thanks to the old Premiere service they just recently cancelled. But, just reading all the if's, and excepts, and other problems people are having switching cards on WP7 phones, I don't really know if I want to screw around with something I rely on for my work just yet. I might do this after I get another phone. I'm still playing with the idea of going iPhone for a year or two for the experience and then returning back if WP gets it's feet under it better. I've been a Windows user for too many years to turn away from it completely. I just don't have the "warm fuzzies" about how this new OS is being marketed or how the OEMs are putting out devices. It's one of those things that for every thing there is to love about it, there's a 180* thing to not love about it.

Like meeting a girl with the body of an Angel but her face came straight from the bowels of H@!!. What do you go with?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett